Cell phone question

george1

Jan 2, 2011
Quick question:

I need two cell phones with a plan (BB prefered).
I am a foreigner with a steady job for he last two years, but no Cedula yet.
My wife is Dominicana, but not employed.

I currently have a plan for RD$2,200 for an internet modem with Claro, but they do not wish to expand their services to celll phones with me.
Any idea on how to proceed, I need unlimitted internet and only some talktime mins.

Thank you.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Quick question:

I currently have a plan for RD$2,200 for an internet modem with Claro, but they do not wish to expand their services to celll phones with me.
Any idea on how to proceed, I need unlimitted internet and only some talktime mins.

Thank you.

The 640 peso a month deal from VIVA can be an 18 month plan or prepaid. No minutes, but you can just add a card when you pay the bill.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
The 640 peso a month deal from VIVA can be an 18 month plan or prepaid. No minutes, but you can just add a card when you pay the bill.

I apppreciate the respponse, but do they have good coverage. I travel a lot throughout the country and I heard they are only great in Santo domingo. PPlus, do they accept folks without cedula?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
viva has the best price for BB internet, i think. claro has the best overall coverage. neither should care about cedula with pay as you go phones.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
viva has the best price for BB internet, i think. claro has the best overall coverage. neither should care about cedula with pay as you go phones.

I appreciate the info and I do apologize in case I was not clear enough...I need a service with a plan....
Not pay as you go. please see the original post:
Quick question:

Thank you.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
I appreciate the info and I do apologize in case I was not clear enough...I need a service with a plan....
Not pay as you go. please see the original post:
Quick question:

Thank you.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
They did the same to me and it took me about 6 months always paying on time to have good records with them for them to accept a better plan

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, i am sorry, i did not read carefully enough.
i consulted with miesposo who has worked closely with claro and viva people, he says that you should be able to get a plan with BB based on your passport only. you may have to pay a deposit thou. do try viva: they have this plan, kind of pre-paid almost, you pay, say 1000 pesos a month flat rate, internet plus whatever amount of minutes. if you exeed that you have to buy a card to top up the phone. do will prob ask you to pay for the first month (or longer) up front.
claro has those plans too...

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
Passport will do

I'm pretty sure that a passport will do with all companies. I have cable and internet with tricom and it is cheap. Rd 1800 a month for the two services. I use orange for the phone but could use tricom for cell and house phones as well.

I always hook my bills to a credit card. Saves the hastlle of paying each month.

george1

Jan 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure that a passport will do with all companies. I have cable and internet with tricom and it is cheap. Rd 1800 a month for the two services. I use orange for the phone but could use tricom for cell and house phones as well.

I always hook my bills to a credit card. Saves the hastlle of paying each month.

Thank you.

Does anyone know how the Nationwide coverage for Viva and Tricom is?
Is it comparable to Orange and Claro at this point?

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
In terms of up-time and price, who is the best provider in DR, specifically Santiago, for cell phone and wireless home internet?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In terms of up-time and price, who is the best provider in DR, specifically Santiago, for cell phone and wireless home internet?
Orange is the best for 3G internet (get a Flybox with NetHogar... very good...)