Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Cell phone question

Quick question:

I need two cell phones with a plan (BB prefered).
    I am a foreigner with a steady job for he last two years, but no Cedula yet.
    My wife is Dominicana, but not employed.

I currently have a plan for RD$2,200 for an internet modem with Claro, but they do not wish to expand their services to celll phones with me.
    Any idea on how to proceed, I need unlimitted internet and only some talktime mins.

Thank you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by george1 View Post
    Quick question:

I currently have a plan for RD$2,200 for an internet modem with Claro, but they do not wish to expand their services to celll phones with me.
    Any idea on how to proceed, I need unlimitted internet and only some talktime mins.

Thank you.

The 640 peso a month deal from VIVA can be an 18 month plan or prepaid. No minutes, but you can just add a card when you pay the bill.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by EverythingJeff View Post
    The 640 peso a month deal from VIVA can be an 18 month plan or prepaid. No minutes, but you can just add a card when you pay the bill.
    I apppreciate the respponse, but do they have good coverage. I travel a lot throughout the country and I heard they are only great in Santo domingo. PPlus, do they accept folks without cedula?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

viva has the best price for BB internet, i think. claro has the best overall coverage. neither should care about cedula with pay as you go phones.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    viva has the best price for BB internet, i think. claro has the best overall coverage. neither should care about cedula with pay as you go phones.
    I appreciate the info and I do apologize in case I was not clear enough...I need a service with a plan....
    Not pay as you go. please see the original post:
    Quick question:

Thank you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by george1 View Post
    I appreciate the info and I do apologize in case I was not clear enough...I need a service with a plan....
    Not pay as you go. please see the original post:
    Quick question:

Thank you.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They did the same to me and it took me about 6 months always paying on time to have good records with them for them to accept a better plan

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

oh, i am sorry, i did not read carefully enough.
    i consulted with miesposo who has worked closely with claro and viva people, he says that you should be able to get a plan with BB based on your passport only. you may have to pay a deposit thou. do try viva: they have this plan, kind of pre-paid almost, you pay, say 1000 pesos a month flat rate, internet plus whatever amount of minutes. if you exeed that you have to buy a card to top up the phone. do will prob ask you to pay for the first month (or longer) up front.
    claro has those plans too...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Thank you for the input....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Passport will do

I'm pretty sure that a passport will do with all companies. I have cable and internet with tricom and it is cheap. Rd 1800 a month for the two services. I use orange for the phone but could use tricom for cell and house phones as well.

I always hook my bills to a credit card. Saves the hastlle of paying each month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast