Question about Higuey

crenshore

Jan 13, 2004
I am planning to trip to the DR in the New Year, and wanted to try to avoid some of the usual tourist traps and visits authentic Dominican towns. Anyone know anything about Higuey. I guess from the little information about it in guidebooks, nobody really does stop there, but would be grateful for some information. Is it the sort of place you can just chat and hang out with locals? Also, is it dangerous?

Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is a typical Dominican provincial city in the worst sense of the word - bustling and chaotic, noisy, choked with traffic and dominated by insane motorcyclists - all in all it has very little going for it in terms of atmosphere or aesthetics. You can visit the Basilica if you're into 1960s brutalist architecture.
As far as cities go La Romana is more pleasant, or for nearby small towns with more traditional charm try San Rafael de Yuma or Boca de Yuma.

Feb 7, 2007
Yeah, Basiclica and Museum ponce de Leon are about two only things to visit. But there are nice rios (rtivers) around and there is ZipLine close by where they take all the tourists from Bavaro. In Higuey, there is a new aquapark La Tinaja, 4 km from Higuey towards la Romana. All said, Higuey is one of the richest cities in the DR on per capita basis, but you do not see the money on the streets .... I guess people have them stuffed in their mattresses because they do not invest "in" their town. Also, nowadays with the water pipes being laid all around form Acuaducto Higuey "IS" a big mess with broken streets all over. i guess you continue to Boca de Yuma, a small fisherman town, there is a nice B&B place there.

Riki

Feb 7, 2012
When in the new year are you coming? Or have you already been? I live in Higuey.

rourou1810

Mar 28, 2012
Hello Riki!!

I see you're living in Higuey. My name is Julie, I'm 25 years old and I would like to live on the East Coast of DR. Could you perhaps help me to have informations about your city. Is it possible to find a job?? To find a flat to rent?? And also to give me advices... I would like perhaps to start a new project in the humanitary... Do you know organisations or projects??
Thank you so much.

Julie