Art store

Melja

Sep 2, 2011
Is there an art store in Sosua? I make paintings and therefore often in need of paint, turpentines, and all kinds of paper/canvas etc etc.

Thanks

cruzan

May 3, 2006
my wife and i are moving to the cabrera area. she also is going to need artist supplies, so if anyone can respond to this post,,,we would appreciate it...thanks

believer

Oct 12, 2005
I guess we should start one! If I recall there is a papeteria in sosua off pedro clisante that has some supplies and then an office supply store on the hiway that we bought some stuff from once. It was 3 years ago so I do not remember the names but the one on the hiway was near(beside?) a liquor store just before the the turn off to tradewinds right, and the german bakery left

Melja

Sep 2, 2011
I guess we should start one! If I recall there is a papeteria in sosua off pedro clisante that has some supplies and then an office supply store on the hiway that we bought some stuff from once. It was 3 years ago so I do not remember the names but the one on the hiway was near(beside?) a liquor store just before the the turn off to tradewinds right, and the german bakery left

:) That is what I thought as well. Lets start a art supply store. I am very interested to learn how Dominicans make art and what kind of materials they are using. I am doubting in bringing my oils as I do need some different supplies which I am not allowed to take on the plane. I do need a certain type of turpentine which won't ruin my expensive brushes...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
:) That is what I thought as well. Lets start a art supply store. I am very interested to learn how Dominicans make art and what kind of materials they are using. I am doubting in bringing my oils as I do need some different supplies which I am not allowed to take on the plane. I do need a certain type of turpentine which won't ruin my expensive brushes...

I hope you don't arrive in the "land of unobtanium" here in the DR as an artist. I suspect the products you need will at least be available in Santo Domingo or Santiago if you can't find them between Cabarete and Puerto Plata. Specific brands of turpentine will probably be difficult and also very hard to import yourself.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i have never seen a Dominican or Haitian wash a brush used for painting either a picture or a house. They just throw them away!

matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are numerous talented Dominican Artists that use all the different mediums to paint. Oil, water colours, pastels, and , as they call it, plastica. With a little bit of searching you should be able to find all that you are looking for- geso, brushes...etc. I've seem many Dominicans and Haitians clean paint brushes and rollers.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Why not visit one of the local artists here, and ask them where they get their materials. I am sure they would be happy to help you.

Melja

Sep 2, 2011
Why not visit one of the local artists here, and ask them where they get their materials. I am sure they would be happy to help you.

Yeh I was thinking about that too. Hope I can find local artists. It is always exciting talking to artists from an other country as they have different methods and materials. I will arrive in December and take it from there! Thanks for the input.