Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ASPCA In The DR?? Pigeons..

.Hello,

I need some help in finding an agency that removes or moves wild animals..I have a major pigeon problem at my apartment building..I own & breed Budgies which I put outside every day on my balcony, these Pigeons that harbor on one of the near by awnings constantly come onto my balcony and even fly inside through an open window, this is every day! every other minute! until 6PM being they cannot see at night. Its that bad!! If I sit down, literally 2 minutes later I will have 2-3 on my balcony and at least one will come into my living room from the open windows. I cannot live like this and most important, a few of them are sick with Chlamydia being they leave their droppings..That said, I am also looking for an Avian Vet..I usually treat my own flock, but I would like to have some testing done ie CBC, and a few fecal tests being I have just added a few additions and those additions may have Mega Bacteria from what I can see after being in quarantine.

Overall, I do not want to hurt these pigeons, just move them down to the beach which is only about 20 minutes away..I live in Santo Domingo, close to 27 & Churchill if that helps in finding some kind of an agency and an Avian Vet if possible..

Thanks a bunch!!

Joe

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Pigeons are an invasive species in the DR and should be destroyed whenever possible. They use nesting sites of native birds which are already losing habitat to human impacts. I never saw them on the north coast until about 10 years ago. They are not native the US mainland either, where they cause millions of dollars of damage to bridges and buildings.

They are vermin.

Tom Lehrer - Poisoning Pigeons In The Park - now on DVD - YouTube

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

~I would not suggest that you poison the pigeons, however as a deterant I have read that if you hang CD's from string and place them around outside of your windows they tend to NOT come by as they are afraid of the reflection they put off~

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you could play this loudly over and over!

Tom Lehrer - Poisoning Pigeons In The Park - now on DVD - YouTube

5. Likes Chirimoya, jrjrth liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrjrth View Post
    ~I would not suggest that you poison the pigeons, however as a deterant I have read that if you hang CD's from string and place them around outside of your windows they tend to NOT come by as they are afraid of the reflection they put off~
    Good suggestion, I've seen people hang them from their car's rear view mirrors too, and was surprised to learn that they [supposedly] bounce back a cop's radar gun beam.

I feel bad for the OP - I remember a night we spent in Manhattan a few years ago, with pigeons on the windowsill. OMG, and I thought roosters were bad.

AE

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can find a owl statue they sell them in US to scare away birds or a falcon it might do the trick. If not get a real falcon.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A bed of nails on the window ledge works quite well

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard and seen plastic strips attached to the balcony railing that flutter in the wind. Bright colours and noisy, the full length of the balcony rail.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Along with owl, a large rubber snake. Internet must have some ideas.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast