School Supplies

snowboarder

Nov 8, 2011
Hi, I plan to bring a second suitcase of stuff for a school in Cabarete next month. Should I expect to get hit with a tax upon entering the DR at customs? If I get a letter from the school would this prevent paying tax at customs? Would it be smart for me to bring the receipts for the supplies? Woah, three quick questions..thanks in advance!

I attempted the advanced search but with no avail on specifics on tax at customs.

May 29, 2006
I've brought in school supplies before and I've never had to pay any import tax. If you can bring used kid shoes(and new socks), those are especially valued.

In many of the schools I visited, they didn't even have chalk, much less electricty. Some baseballs and durable playground toys are also welcome.

Some other things to bring for a school include:

School Hand Bell
Flash cards
Children's books in Spanish
World Maps
Composition Books
Decorative pencils
Bulk "golf" pencils
Colored Chalk
Sidewalk Chalk
Kid's Backpacks
Some gifts for the teachers

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
good you are bringing them in a suitcase. i once had sharpened pencils and scissors in my carry-on and got read the Riot Act by TSA. another time i had baseball bats and balls. the only thing i worried about is the airport workers in POP stealing my items.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Over the years I've brought in all kinds of things in checked luggage. A lot of them either still new in the box or clothing with tags still on. Never had a problem.

Usually when they do an inspection in POP it's a very cursory glance at items on the top. If they ask, just tell them they're gifts.
Don't know your nationality, but Dominicans seem to get their luggage inspected more then gringos. I think its' been discussed here before.