Tenant's right to change lock(s) for time of the lease (?)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
If someone with legal understanding (DR LAW please!) could please confirm, address or correct point 1,2 and 3:

1. Does a long term tenant (not a hotel guest) have the right to change his rented dwelling's door lock(s), as long as he does it in a fashion which allows for the original lock to be retrofitted (put back after the tenants returns the dwelling to the landlord at the end of the lease) without asking for the landlord's permission to do so?
  2. If yes, can the landlord demand to have keys to the new lock during the time of lease?
  3. I believe to understand, that the landlord has the right to inspect his property upon appointment with the tenant in acceptable intervals (what, every couple of months?). (right?) And that the landlord also has the right to SCHEDULE showings of the property to potential new tenants (towards the end of the lease, if not renewed) and potential buyers. (right?).

The making of:
The main entry door of my newly rented condo, had a flimsy "bedroom-style" door lock "llavin" and I was given ONE key to it. Since the apartment had been rented before, I replaced the lock with finger-print lock suggesting somewhat better safety/security (no keys floating around/can't be picked by a 6 year old) and promising to give me the privacy I feel entitled to expect in my HOME.
The landlords showed themselves as "surprised" (to put it mildly) and asked by e-mail for a written explanation on why I did what I did without having had permission to do so.
I sent them a friendly e-mail reminding them that I am a long term tenant - making the dwelling my HOME, that I have a right to privacy and security and that the lock change will not affect the integrity of the door and that, once I'd move out, can and WILL be retrofitted with the original lock I am keeping in storage in good operating condition and thank you very much.

Thanks! ... J-D.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just do it and don't give any keys to ANYONE. The landlord can "Whistle Dixie" if he does not like it.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Does the rental contract say " do not change sh!tty cheap lock "? I think you got the landlord on this one.....

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~IMO...for your peace of mind and added security I would change the locks, especially if you are a long term tenant, and have not disrupted the door and mearly replaced the cheap lock for a more secure one....

~You state that this lock is a "Finger Print" lock?? Does it also have a key entry? Perhaps the landlord would be entitled to a key in the event that something unforseen happens to you and you are not available to put your finger on the door for access...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
First let me repeat: I DID change the lock and MY lock remains! My questions were regarding the legal aspect in THIS country specifically. I know, I would be in my right in Germany, Switzerland and the US (I am a landlord too).

~IMO...for your peace of mind and added security I would change the locks, especially if you are a long term tenant, and have not disrupted the door and mearly replaced the cheap lock for a more secure one....

~You state that this lock is a "Finger Print" lock?? Does it also have a key entry? Perhaps the landlord would be entitled to a key in the event that something unforseen happens to you and you are not available to put your finger on the door for access...

Giving "a" key in a condo situation with a large staff, is like leaving the key ON the lock. The key get's handed out (copied), "lost", misplaced or is still with "XYZ". NO!

But, I can add up to 99 people to my finger print reading lock and manage them (delete) in groups. This is the COOL thing about this lock.
I would NOT mind adding ONE particular person's print from the management so that they would have access in case of an emergency. It is something I WILL suggest especially when I leave for several weeks for my abroad trips. It means, THAT ONE person has to open and become directly responsible (oh, they DO understand responsibility, they're not locals!).
I have also added the prints of one trusted friend and my maid here who would be reachable should a problem arise.

But lets go back to the basic legal aspect of this.
Thanks! ... J-D.

adel-la9-3_biometric_fingerprint_lock.png

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Often it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, especially when personal security is involved.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
In essence I politely answered WHY I did change it (as they asked).
My question here is still limited to the legal aspects (My RIGHT or NOT) in this country. But I do understand you suggestion, CB.

... J-D.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
First let me repeat: I DID change the lock and MY lock remains! My questions were regarding the legal aspect in THIS country specifically. I know, I would be in my right in Germany, Switzerland and the US (I am a landlord too).

Giving "a" key in a condo situation with a large staff, is like leaving the key ON the lock. The key get's handed out (copied), "lost", misplaced or is still with "XYZ". NO!

But, I can add up to 99 people to my finger print reading lock and manage them (delete) in groups. This is the COOL thing about this lock.
I would NOT mind adding ONE particular person's print from the management so that they would have access in case of an emergency. It is something I WILL suggest especially when I leave for several weeks for my abroad trips. It means, THAT ONE person has to open and become directly responsible (oh, they DO understand responsibility, they're not locals!).
I have also added the prints of one trusted friend and my maid here who would be reachable should a problem arise.

But lets go back to the basic legal aspect of this.
Thanks! ... J-D.

adel-la9-3_biometric_fingerprint_lock.png

~Not meaning to get really off topic "Legally" however where can I get one of these locks? How much are they? And can you track times and dates of who is coming and going...say through the internet?? or smart phone?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
~Not meaning to get really off topic "Legally" however where can I get one of these locks? How much are they? And can you track times and dates of who is coming and going...say through the internet?? or smart phone?

No, it's not THAT smart. It is not connected. A stand-alone unit. No cables - no antennas - no connectivity. There are some, they are much, much more expensive. This one runs anywhere from $99.99 to 169.99 (yes, for the exact same model).
This is the cheapest supplier I found:
ADEL DIY-3398 Biometric Fingerprint Door Lock. Keyless Locks

Essentially, EASY to install, only for ONE issue (I actually had to open the mechanism to find how it worked to position the driver shaft correctly. If people on the North Coast get one, I'll be glad to help.
Installs into a regular American style door lock opening as a replacement (NOT the dead bolt! There are FingerPrint dead bolts available too!).

Programing is fairly easy once you understand the Chinese-English (Englishese?).
Operation is super easy.

... J-D.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Cool product. With the number of temporary users and master users allowed it would work with DR condo's that get rented a lot. It's a great feature to be able to get it without a key yet still have good security.