Dominican style Bachata teacher in Sosua?

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
I'll be in Sosua in a few weeks and I'm wondering if anyone could refer me to a competent dance teacher for Dominican Style Bachata. I'm pretty experienced in Afro-Latin Dance (Salsa, ChaCha, Bachata), however I'm
looking to explore more Bachata Estilo Dominicano.

There is a big difference between the way Dominicans dance Bachata and how most in the U.S. do. The Dominican Style has just started to catch on in a few places in the States.

Me puedo defender in el Espanol.

Thanks.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
At any colmado or bar the waitress or clientele will teach you for free or for a drink. Every Dominican woman (except Evangelists) dance bachata.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Dancing and teaching it are two different things. If you dance Salsa and Chacha, you shouldn't need classes, IMHO. It is way easier.

In any case, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a partner to practice with ;)

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Is Home Run still closed? That used to be great place to observe, learn and dance.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
In Cabarete...

Tony at Al Balair (Restuarant/art studio) in Cabarete used to teach dance last year. Don't know if he is still there but if you can't find anyone in Sosua, this is pretty close.

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks. I'll try the place in Cabarete. Also found Emily Watson school in Sosua.

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks for the updated email. Emily has a different email on her website (which didn't work for me).

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
ctrob ; Is Home Run still closed? That used to be great place to observe, learn and dance.

Yes it is still closed!:cry:

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
Does anyone have an updated contact for Emily? I tried to contact her with the email that Black Dog provided and I got no response from her. There's also an email on her website, but that one seems to be not valid.

Thanks again and looking forward to arriving in Sosua this Saturday. Staying at Casa Valeria.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Dancing and teaching it are two different things. If you dance Salsa and Chacha, you shouldn't need classes, IMHO. It is way easier.

In any case, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a partner to practice with ;)

It seems like he already knows how to dance Bachata, he wants to specialize in the style. I am one who wants to specialize in Salsa style although I know how to dance it well...

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
It seems like he already knows how to dance Bachata, he wants to specialize in the style. I am one who wants to specialize in Salsa style although I know how to dance it well...

Yeah, I've danced thousands of Bachatas in my life, but I really want to get into the more Dominican style - less turns, much more emphasis on syncopated footwork. I think I'll just look for some ladies that are willing to practice with me.