propane regulator question

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I tried to switch out the propane tank on my stove this morning and I can't get the regulator (or whatever that attachment thing is called) to seal. I had a really hard time getting it off of the old tank. Can those things go bad?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, the rubber seal can go bad. We had to replace ours last trip for the same reason - gas was leaking. Bought a new one at the local ferreteria.

AE

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The plastic 'cuff' on mine snapped earlier this week as the regulator was being removed to take the tank for refill. Replaced it with a stronger metal one for just under RD$500 from Ferreteria Llibre in Sabaneta.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
A bit of advice to help ease the ritual of removal and refitting the regulator when changing out tanks is to wrap one or two turns of 1/2" teflon tape over the threads of the regulator. You only have to tighten the fit enough to make a good seal at the seal point (make sure both points are clean at the seal point), the teflon smooths the task. Use a spray bottle filled with water and a little liquid detergent and mist the fitting when the tank valve is in the open position. If it bubbles, then tighten the fitting until the bubbling stops. You should also mist the regulator and all connections to ascertain that all points are leak free. Repair, tighten, and replace as needed.

Another hint to attach regulators with a hose fitting to firmly attach is to lubricate the fitting with liquid soap; the hose will slide on easier, tighten the hose clamp and check for leakage as done above.

Regards,

PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good advice, PJT. I have found that if you purchase the regulators that have their own shut off valve instead of the simpler versions (many simpler, cheaper ones are blue in color) they tend to be more reliable over time.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good advice. And get a good adjustable wrench, not a pipe wrench. OR get a regulator with a hand tightening device.

HB

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
A bit of advice to help ease the ritual of removal and refitting the regulator when changing out tanks is to wrap one or two turns of 1/2" teflon tape over the threads of the regulator. You only have to tighten the fit enough to make a good seal at the seal point (make sure both points are clean at the seal point), the teflon smooths the task. Use a spray bottle filled with water and a little liquid detergent and mist the fitting when the tank valve is in the open position. If it bubbles, then tighten the fitting until the bubbling stops. You should also mist the regulator and all connections to ascertain that all points are leak free. Repair, tighten, and replace as needed.

Another hint to attach regulators with a hose fitting to firmly attach is to lubricate the fitting with liquid soap; the hose will slide on easier, tighten the hose clamp and check for leakage as done above.

Regards,

PJT

It has always amazed me to see the local "engineers" test for gas leakage with a open flame from a lighter.