Anyone Bought any Ceiling Fans Lately?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Any suggestions on brand, pricing and where to get ceiling fans on the North Coast? Thanks!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I prefer KDK fans. They are not the fancy type, but they move air and tend to last. Any hardware store should carry them. You can get them without a light or add a kit for the light.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Listen to windeguy. We bought a fancy-ish fan in Ferreteria Americiana, I think it's a Westinghouse, it looks very pretty, but we don't feel the fan. What a colossal waste of money.

AE

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Listen to windeguy. We bought a fancy-ish fan in Ferreteria Americiana, I think it's a Westinghouse, it looks very pretty, but we don't feel the fan. What a colossal waste of money.

AE

Indeed. My house came with two similar fans, Hunter was the brand I believe. They are gone and replaced with the superior, for my purposes, KDK fans.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks, I will look for a KDK fan. Do I have to price shop or will most places have the same prices?

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Theres a white KDK fan that looks nice and does the job. You can get it at Jumbo's in SD at a good price.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks, I will look for a KDK fan. Do I have to price shop or will most places have the same prices?

I would not drive a great distance because the price differences won't be worth the gasoline, but I would check the different hardwares stores in the same immediate area where you live.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
KDK's best price in POP's Distribuidora Gonz?lez. We shopped around the North Coast and they had the best price. They also have the best selection of other brands too but KDK was recommendations of many. Ask for Laura & she will give you a DR1 discount if paid with cash.

Beller
(809) 586-6945

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
If you want to move air KDK is the best. We cant get used to the heat here and these really help.
A local may tell you different since they tend to worry more about looks than functionality.
We bought them at Hache. Not sure if there is one in Pto Plata.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
this is an interesting topic. i looked at ceiling fans while in santiago on my last trip. i compare them to the ones you get here in ny at the home depot, kohls etc and wowwwwwwwwww what a price difference. i can find real good ones for like 150 usd here and over there ceiling fans go for 12,000 to 18,000 - insane! i rather send from here when i send all my appliances.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
this is an interesting topic. i looked at ceiling fans while in santiago on my last trip. i compare them to the ones you get here in ny at the home depot, kohls etc and wowwwwwwwwww what a price difference. i can find real good ones for like 150 usd here and over there ceiling fans go for 12,000 to 18,000 - insane! i rather send from here when i send all my appliances.

It is not really any different than the price differences for vehicles, electronics and appliances. It is very often less expensive to import it yourself when you need them. Then you know you are getting a good quality product you are familiar with and not some inferior version sold here.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
For alterego- Check to make sure the blades are spinning the right direction. Many fans go both ways and it may be that is sucking instead of blowing air. And, they can be installed backwards. Even a poor off brand fan should move some air. Dominican installers usually do not read the directions.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
For alterego- Check to make sure the blades are spinning the right direction. Many fans go both ways and it may be that is sucking instead of blowing air. And, they can be installed backwards. Even a poor off brand fan should move some air. Dominican installers usually do not read the directions.
I agree with you. There is a small switch located on all ceiling fans to reverse the rotation of the blades.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

You're right, my Dominican husband NEVER reads instructions, and he installed it. But he's probably installed 30 of them over the years between both our homes, and we checked the switch. My thought is maybe the fan is too big for the bedroom it's in, which is pretty small.

You should have been there last week when he and our son were installing a new microwave with external exhaust in son's kitchen. I had to leave the room and go watch On Demand. When son's girlfriend got there, she spent about a minute in the kitchen before joining me. 'Nuf said.

AE

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Ha! My wife is Domiican and laughs at me when I read the directions. She is very bright and has an engineering mind. She is most often correct which make me reading the directions even more laughable. A too small fan in a large room will not move air. I think they go up to 52".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ha! My wife is Domiican and laughs at me when I read the directions. She is very bright and has an engineering mind. She is most often correct which make me reading the directions even more laughable. A too small fan in a large room will not move air. I think they go up to 52".

How about a too large [52"] fan in a small [12x12] room?

AE

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
My pet peeve with fans is that they're never balanced! I hate how some look like they're wobbling so badly that they're about to fly off their mounts. Use the damn balance kit for heaven's sake!

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
I just recently installed two five-blade ceiling fans in my apartment. They move air pretty well and are perfectly balanced - more so than the the three blade fans I have used in the past. One thing to consider in ceiling fan air movement is the distance between the blades and the ceiling. Fans that are mounted with minimum clearances between the blades and the ceiling will have less circulation. You can buy extenders to increase the blade to ceiling distance that would increase air circulation, as long as you have the head room........

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I can NOT believe that someone is so lazy that they can not go out and figure out "CEILING FANS" and having people post about them. What fits your home decor, costs, color, RPM, etc.

Go out and figure out what you want and buy it. I have over a dozen fans in my place and I searched and found each one to meet the need for each room.

What works for one room/person may not work for another.

Go OUT instead of asking for everyones advice. They have their fans. Go find yours.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
[QUOTE=Ringo;1025688
With 12 fans I wouldn't be reading this thread.
Guess the rain brings the best out in people.
I am not lazy, just appreciate the wisdom of the board.
Hope tomorrows a sunnier day for you.