I need a generator

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Your location might help posters to better assist you....ie North East, South East etc....just generalized area of the country...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
the ones I know of are 2.5 kw, but have a pull-starter. Papaterra in GH, asking price is 16,000, but with negotiation they went down to 14,000.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I have never seen a 2kw generator with electric start, you may need to go to 3kw to get electric, I know 3.5 has electric start

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
yes 2 kw with electric start never seen one!

I have a 6 Kw electric Start gasoline, excellent condition, here in el Capital.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
It depends I guess. We went for the 2,5 KW because we are in a zone A renting a house without an invertor. They do have to do the weekly maintenances and then we are out of power for a couple of hours or sometimes a bit more. Being without water for those hours is no problem but we need the computers and an UPS doesn't cut it so long so we bought a 2,5 KW and use it on the occasional times when we are a longer period without power, pc's on it and a light bulb. So more then enough for us and no hassle with fitting in an invertor and batteries in a rented house.

We did it also with the idea if we give a demo somewhere, we can take the generator with us as most of our demo's are with music and there is not alway's a plug available for the pc and speakers.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One should ask the question: For what purpose do you wish to use the generator?

I do agree that for one as small as a 2.5 KW unit I have never seen one with electric start. I have a Yamaha unit that size and it almost always starts on the first pull if that is any help to you. I would suggest Yamaha or Honda in that size range, but they will be pull start models.

I am still OK with this size generator even after 8 years with it. Yes, it is loud, but for the occasional times I need it, I put up with that. It will run for a bit over 3 hours on one gallon of gasoline. Go up another 1 KW and run times are more like 1 to 1.5 hours a gallon from what I have read.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I saw a set up once where a guy had installed an inverter with two batteries on a hand truck. He installed a female 110V plug on a cable coming out of the breaker box, and a male plug on another cable, that plugged into the female plug.

When he wanted to use the inverter, he just rolled the hand truck next to the breaker box, unplugged the male plug, and plugged in the male plug from the inverter, and voila', had electricity in the house.

It's not quite as simple as that, since you would need to move a couple of wires around to do it, but he always said that when it was time to move, he'd just unplug the inverter and wheel it away.
I set my (pull-start) 3.5kw genset in an enclosed but ventilated outbuilding hardwired to the house with a cutoff blade switch with a grounded plug that can be plugged into the genset when the power has gone off long enough to deplete the inverter batteries.

Simple solution.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I set my (pull-start) 3.5kw genset in an enclosed but ventilated outbuilding hardwired to the house with a cutoff blade switch with a grounded plug that can be plugged into the genset when the power has gone off long enough to deplete the inverter batteries.

Simple solution.

Same set up as mine except I use a 2.5 KW unit.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
same here but I use a Honda 2000I - built in inverter and runs quiet, very economical. Costs about $1000 in the states, not sure about costs here though. I shipped mine down in a barrel.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
same here but I use a Honda 2000I - built in inverter and runs quiet, very economical. Costs about $1000 in the states, not sure about costs here though. I shipped mine down in a barrel.

I have one too. It's luz in a suitcase. Highly recommend. Did you get hammered with impuestos?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
To be honest with you, I think you're going to be disappointed with a small genset like that. It's going to be a lot more noise than you're willing to put up with for more than 10 minutes or so.

It would be like having a lawnmower running outside your house.

I saw a set up once where a guy had installed an inverter with two batteries on a hand truck. He installed a female 110V plug on a cable coming out of the breaker box, and a male plug on another cable, that plugged into the female plug.

When he wanted to use the inverter, he just rolled the hand truck next to the breaker box, unplugged the male plug, and plugged in the male plug from the inverter, and voila', had electricity in the house.

It's not quite as simple as that, since you would need to move a couple of wires around to do it, but he always said that when it was time to move, he'd just unplug the inverter and wheel it away.

You are right, its quite noisy although I must say after using it now for a couple of times, the noise is getting lesser.
But we put it far enough from the house so its like the back noise of, like you say, a lawnmower and its only for a couple of hours. Doesn't really disturb us.