unfair leverage of deposit funds

mandymeme

May 28, 2011
We rented a 2 bdrm condo for 2 months in Cabarete and were told if we paid 150$ extra that electricity was included. We were not once asked to sign a contract nor were we ever shown one. We were responsible with the ac, used it at night, off during the day...unit had a w/d. Family of 6 in a 2 bedroom. At the time of check out...we we refused deposit return because: management company read the meter and did their "own" calculations and came up with a electricity bill of 900$ Usd. I asked to see a power bill and was told that the management company has not received a power bill for the month of september nor october. So I emailed the actual owner..as was a business card w the owners information inside the condo. I have not heard back from the owner as of yet. Email was sent yesterday. I feel that the management is exerting unfair leverage on us as the renter under unproved evidence...as in no power bill.
They had us pay extra in agreement that the electricity was included. We were given the option of paying 150$ less and be responsible for electricity use. However....150$ was a good price for electricity. They have since backed out of that...on their own.
TAlk to me....what do you think?

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I can see 250 a month easy for a 2 bedroom. If the place has a generator for the whole building they usually average the cost at 15 peso a kw. Aircon eats juice big time. I did 635KW in 1 month in 1 bedroom that cost me in "07" 13 pesos kw for a total of 7265 pesos at i think 32 to 1. I now own 2 fans and never use ac unless in a hotel. But 900 seems high.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We rented a 2 bdrm condo for 2 months in Cabarete and were told if we paid 150$ extra that electricity was included. We were not once asked to sign a contract nor were we ever shown one. We were responsible with the ac, used it at night, off during the day...unit had a w/d. Family of 6 in a 2 bedroom. At the time of check out...we we refused deposit return because: management company read the meter and did their "own" calculations and came up with a electricity bill of 900$ Usd. I asked to see a power bill and was told that the management company has not received a power bill for the month of september nor october. So I emailed the actual owner..as was a business card w the owners information inside the condo. I have not heard back from the owner as of yet. Email was sent yesterday. I feel that the management is exerting unfair leverage on us as the renter under unproved evidence...as in no power bill.
They had us pay extra in agreement that the electricity was included. We were given the option of paying 150$ less and be responsible for electricity use. However....150$ was a good price for electricity. They have since backed out of that...on their own.

A few questions?
Did the rental/management comp. know that you are a family of six. In the contract?
Six showers a day using gas or elect. plus water pump.
One load of laundry a day.. water again PLUS the dryer. (in a condo.)
Cooking and washing dishes for six?
One or TWO A.C. units? Or more?
How and to whom did you pay the elec. too? The person that made the verbal agreement with you?

To me a deal is a deal in writing or verbal with everything disclosed. The verbal part is not very smart in the D.R. and even a written deal here in the D.R. does not work all the time. They got your money and you are leaving. They know that and you have little if any recourse to fight them.

I wish you luck.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011

~I can tell you that we had a tenant consume over $500.00 in electricity on (1) months time,they had the hot water heater on hours at a time, and the Central AC on at night, we know how CEPM charges per Kilowatt hour and the meters are usually read upon your check in, so it is very simply calculated to see how many kilowatts you used during your stay.

~As for the Verbal agreement~ Always get it in writing, at the very least at least you have something for someone to verify the agreement, whether they do anything to uphold the agreement is an entirely different matter.....

~Good Luck, your gone now so you need to choose your own battles for what you feel is worth fighting for:ermm:

mandymeme

May 28, 2011
Yes they knew we are a family of 6...small kiddos
only one bath room had hot water...the master did not have hot water...management would not fix it. Was notified 2 times.
2 ac units
we did not pay the elec...it was to be included in the price as we paid 150$ extra to have elec included
we moved into another condo at the same complex under a different management company. So they know we are still here.
We now have a contract where we pay the electricity

I just think this is so wrong.
I wish i knew a way to let people know not to go with this particular company

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You could give us a "hint" of which company it is!

Since you have nothing in writing, now in dispute and still living in the same complex. The above IS NOT a good idea.

You don't know who is reading these posts and revenge in this Country is a high priority.

See if you can settle with a compromise of some sort. As I said to my x-wife with the wooden leg: "Peg, you don't have a leg to stand on." (She wiped me out before I knew what was happening.)

Get on with your life. You have a lot to do with 4 kids and don't need to be fighting battles that you can not win.

Kind regards.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Since you have nothing in writing, now in dispute and still living in the same complex. The above IS NOT a good idea.

You don't know who is reading these posts and revenge in this Country is a high priority.

See if you can settle with a compromise of some sort. As I said to my x-wife with the wooden leg: "Peg, you don't have a leg to stand on." (She wiped me out before I knew what was happening.)

Get on with your life. You have a lot to do with 4 kids and don't need to be fighting battles that you can not win.

Kind regards.
Spoken like a true landlord. But I agree, negotiate first. Tell them you are going to include their name in your story on the DR's largest website. They are within their rights to post their side of the story in response. Let the chips fall where they may in the view of public opinion.