A thread for victims of crime

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are several posts and threads on this forum about crime. There are those who come up with reasons as to why the crime happened with no thought as to how that might make the victim feel, and no actual knowledge at all. There are those who ?know? what to do to prevent a crime, even though they have never been in that position. This is a thread for the victims of crime. Those of us who have been shot, injured, threatened with a gun to your heads or put in fear of your life during a burglary.

1. What did you do to save your life?
2. How do you feel when people locally or on forums write to say it was your fault?
3. What advice can you give to others if they are to find themselves in the same situation, or how they can stop themselves being in the same situation?

My answers would be:

1. I ran and hid even though I had already been shot. I tried to use mobile phone to call for help but I did not have reading glasses with me so could not see numbers. I yelled for dogs, who then attacked gun men.

2. It is horrid when people gossip or post on forums to try and say it was your fault when they have no idea what happened, how it happened, or why. It hurt me more when people tried to come up with reasons that were so far off the mark, than the actual shooting. I think they do it to make themselves feel more secure that it won?t happen to them. Please show respect to victims.

3. My advice would be: have dogs, do not trust anyone (the guys who shot me were building a guest house in our garden), do not try to fight back ? had I had a gun and shot them rather than running then they would have shot me again. When you shoot someone they don?t just fall over, they can still function. I was shot in the throat and the lung and I didn?t fly backwards and fall over groaning like they do in the films. I could run to the back of the house, sit down and take out phone. It took me at least 5 minutes until I lost it. Although I was shot as the guys wanted money and thought there was money in the house, many crimes here are for revenge. Never upset a Dominican. Final advice is to always have reading glasses at hand!

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a full story of my adventure is here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/63378-csi-pop.html

1. i did fight back, i never gave up. but that only saved my bag, you know :)
2. no one said it was my fault but i am sure some thought i was stupid to walk alone instead of riding in a car. FYI i still walk :)
3. my advice is not to fight. better to lose a bag than life...

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have never been a victim of a serious crime, but my friend from college had a knife stuck to her back, and had to take her jewelry off, as well as her wallet to save her life. I don't think it would have been smart of her to fight. No one I know ever told her it was her fault. People on online forums say things they might not have said to a person straight in their face. Anyone can become a victim of a crime at any point in their life. There is no need to blame yourself. Those people who pretend to be so smart online, and in front of other people might have been in the same situation in the past, they just don't want to admit it.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Didn't take long

When I read Matilda's title "A thread for victims of crime" I thought this will be an excellent thread. Matilda qualified it by saying,
This is a thread for the victims of crime. Those of us who have been shot, injured, threatened with a gun to your heads or put in fear of your life during a burglary.
The first post by dv8 was bang on topic.

But is that it? Is the DR/North Coast in particular not as violent as some on this forum would have us believe? Out of hundreds of views only 1.5 relevant replies.
Mack.

Last edited by a moderator:

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i was stuck in traffic on the malecon,SD. a guy approaching on a motorcycle, coming from the opposite direction, tried to reach into the open window, it was a beautiful spring morning, and snatch my gold chain. i learned, no more gold, and no more open windows unless i'm going down the highway at 60, car doors locked. a miami cop that came down to visit me got me in the habit of looking into a store to see what's going on before i just throw the door open and walk in. this kept me from walking in on an armed robbery in progress. i also sit in my car for a minute, look around, before i get out. "hey, what's that back gate doing open and why is that light on upstairs?"........i know it's not Matilda getting shot, that's the worst, sorry, but it's my 2 cents.....

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
When I was kidnapped I was in a car pulled over by policemen or dressed like them. The second time I refused to go with 2 guys who were dressed like policemen or were policemen and got assistance. Bottom line do not stop for anyone when in a car and don't go with anyone claiming they are police. The police in the DR are not to be trusted.

Adam

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i was stuck in traffic on the malecon,SD. a guy approaching on a motorcycle, coming from the opposite direction, tried to reach into the open window, it was a beautiful spring morning, and snatch my gold chain. i learned, no more gold, and no more open windows unless i'm going down the highway at 60, car doors locked. a miami cop that came down to visit me got me in the habit of looking into a store to see what's going on before i just throw the door open and walk in. this kept me from walking in on an armed robbery in progress. i also sit in my car for a minute, look around, before i get out. "hey, what's that back gate doing open and why is that light on upstairs?"........i know it's not Matilda getting shot, that's the worst, sorry, but it's my 2 cents.....

Great advice. I drew up in my car outside the gates and the two men were there. I just got out of the car and walked up to them saying good evening and as I said it realised they had cut the padlock off the gate. Then they shot me. In hindsight if I saw two men outside the gate would have been much better, much less painful and much cheaper to just drive past!

Matilda