Is $500 too much?

Normal

Oct 16, 2011
I'm having a closet built in a bedroom. It takes up the entire wall from floor to ceiling, about 8' x 8'. It will have a total of 8 doors with lots of shelves and 2 bars for hanging clothing. The gentleman doing the work did all of the closets and cupboards in my last condo and does very good work. He's asking $500. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this. I understand that the quality of the wood plays a big part but I'm not exactly sure what kind of wood he's using. I know he'll be using a plywood with a veneer for the sides and face of the doors (I've seen this wood and it looks nice). I told him I don't want cheap pine for the frames of the doors.

What do you guys think of the price?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Depends, you want to know the specifics first. Exactly what timber is he going to use, ply is not going to cost much for sure and isn't the most stable on closets as panels are big and the humidity (if not treated correctly) can swell ply over short time. But I see it in alot of rented property with ply used on wall closet. If it was going in my house I wouldn't be using ply, anywhere.
If he is handmaking the doors and fitting up from scratch then $500 is good for a foreign workers rates (but a European carpenter is not going to buy ply wood), Dominican rates is expensive (more likely to buy cheap timber), but ask exactly what he is using. You could do cheaper but what price is peace of mind and quality work. If cash is an issue then get the material cost and then pay him on a daily rate. To make and install a wall closet should not take him more than 3 days tops, if I know Dominicans he'll have a pal there and they'll be done under 2 on a set price and off.

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 16, 2011
Thanks for the help. I'm going to go with him to get the wood and make sure it's not crap. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Because of the termites in DR, I would want either caoba or andiroba only. Or cedar for a closet. We need almost the same work done at our house and we were quoted almost double that, maybe the wood is the difference??

AE

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In one room of my house the termites ate up my pine closet. We had to tear it all out to get rid of them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No pino,no plibor!
You w2ill be redoing it all in a few years!
500 is too cheap,he is going to use $hit wood!
cccccccccccccVVCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you get treated pine it will resist the bugs and it is expensive relative to plain cut wood but cheaper than mahogany or any other "good" wood. I have used the treated pine from Ochoa for years and no bugs either here or on the beach..And the price is fair, if he is a decent craftsman...what the heck, a carpenter in the UK or the States would barely look at the job and quote that.

Treated plywood should also be termite resistant...it can also be treated after installation with termite prevention and then painted

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
drop it like it's hot. floor to ceiling wardrobe? make it from blocks (sides) on a cement base, with aluminium doors.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
drop it like it's hot. floor to ceiling wardrobe? make it from blocks (sides) on a cement base, with aluminium doors.

Hmmm, no condensation build up in there then, lol. Sorry, but seriously does that not give you problems with damp build up on clothes?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, the wardrobe is not sealed, so to speak. the roof (ours are not floor to ceiling, now when i think of it the door would be too heavy for that feat) is done from aluminium panels and there is a small space left for air. plus doors are opened and closed all the time so again, no condensation of any kind.

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
about 200.00 for mirrored or colored glass. mine about 10 ft long, 8 high. can get phone nu.