Furniture and Humidity, is it worth buying nice stuff?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
If you live about a Kilometre from the Sea in the East Coast Region will nice furniture be ruined by the Humidity.
I was looking at some furniture at Ilumel, its an expensive store, nice furniture! But! Is it worth paying up for good quality stuff when you live close to the Sea. I was also told not to buy IKEA Furniture because it doesn't do well in the Humidity. What do you guys think, whats your experience?
What type of Wood or Furniture will hold up?
Thanks..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am about 100 meters from the ocean. Any of the solid wood furniture I have does not have problems. It is primarily pine and some oak. I would avoid any particle board furniture from IKEA.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~I too am about 100 meters from the ocean and we have Teak furniture that is holding up beautifully, and some Dominican hard woods as well, they were quite costly, however its also how you care for it as well....ventilate the home and proper cleaning a MUST.

I agree with windguy the particle board from IKEA will delaminate quickly in this climate!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wood firniture is very popular here.

I find the dry winter heating systems in No America are more harmful than the humidity here.

I liken it to my skin - its happier here and hopefully will last longer !!! :))

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To clarify. I have NO problems with my pine and oak furniture here.

Teak is of course ideal for a humid environment.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
I agree with the other posters as well. Most of our furniture is made of solid oak and after well over fifteen years, is still in excellent shape (except for the wear and tear from the children).

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Oak is good, teak is good, ipe wood is good and so is caoba (mahogany). Pine is marginal,
Ikea is junk, pressed cardboard. Avoid metal screws and whatnot, it rusts fast, wood dows are better. Cedar helps with mildew in closets.
I use Montoxyl from Ferreteria Bordas in POP. Best I've found for the outside exposed areas of wood.
Cost about $400 pesos a pint, but worth it. Do 2 coats, lasts 2-3 years. Saman is also a resilient wood.
Beware of termites in cheap furniture. Avoid the cane, woven bamboo crap sold on the roads. I find it very
uncomfortable, short lasting. If you're gonna be here a while, spend the money. Better yet, buy good stuff cheap from
gringos moving on. Check local bulletin boards and all that.
Suerte.

Suerte.

Nov 17, 2007
humidity-ikea

Hi,

We did our holiday condo on the east coast with Ikea and visit every 6 months.
Chromed parts of our chairs were in bad condition already after the first 6 months due to humidity and stained the tiled floors (poslihed porcelain tiles have have open pores)

For the moment the laminated furniture did not split open but if I were you I would go for solid wood to avoid problems.

edwin/spain/la romana