Punta Cana to Santiago to Santo Domingo to San Juan

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Hello everyone,will be in DR starting the week of April 6th(semana santa),party of five,including two toddlers so trying to make it as smooth as possible.We gonna start out from Punta Cana for a few days and then just drive to Santiago and the rest.During this trip,I just wanna compare Santiago to SD as far as which one is more suitable for families.Just wanted to hear some input from your guys on what are some of the stops that I should make on this road trip,that the whole fam can actually enjoy.Don't care much from SD to San Juan(just visiting family)Thanks in advance, NYC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Come and see us in Santo Domingo.We have four kids here from 7 to 20 years old,two little girls,two older boys.
WE live next to the Zoo,and close to the "Jardin Botanico".WE/YOU CAN VISIT THEM BOTH.
I'll take you to the Arroyo Hondo,Supermercado National,just down from my house.YOU WILL SEE WHAT THINGS REALLY COST IN sd!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Be very careful,I would never drive during "Semana Santa",especially on major highways.Everyone from 8 to 80 will be drunk that entire week.They keep a running tally of the dead on TV!

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Come and see us in Santo Domingo.We have four kids here from 7 to 20 years old,two little girls,two older boys.
WE live next to the Zoo,and close to the "Jardin Botanico".WE/YOU CAN VISIT THEM BOTH.
I'll take you to the Arroyo Hondo,Supermercado National,just down from my house.YOU WILL SEE WHAT THINGS REALLY COST IN sd!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Be very careful,I would never drive during "Semana Santa",especially on major highways.Everyone from 8 to 80 will be drunk that entire week.They keep a running tally of the dead on TV!
#

Thanks for the advice CC,I'm not too crazy at all going over there during semana santa,but my mother goes to San juan to see grandma for their annual fiesta de palos...my in laws owned a house in Mirador sur that I wanna go check out as well,to see how much rehab it need because its unoccupied.Also,my son's school bus driver has a friend that wants to rent his entire house in Arroyo Hondo, supposedly newly built.Yeah,we can definitely link up,that way you can sell SD to my wife lol.It's gonna be us and three boys,5,3 years old and 9 months..so yeah,as the date gets closer,I will send you a pm to get your # down there

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While Santiago is certainly an improvement over Santo Domingo as far as quality of living conditions are concerned, the capital does offer some great attractions. However, many here will tell you that the traffic mess takes away most of the luster.

Santiago offers school, health care and nearly hassle-free driving, with sufficient access to beaches, mountains and other sources of relaxation.

But you are talking about San Juan de la Maguana??? That is a whole "nuther" world. It has its aristocracy, based on farming and cattle, some entertainment but it is so far from the beaten track that I do not think you would ever want to live there except to get away for everyone.

The 6 April is Holy Friday. Nobody on the roads. Easter Sunday is everyone on the roads. 9 April is Monday and the roads will be full of big trucks. Think about traveling about on Tuesday, with an early start into Santo Domingo and that visit to CCCCCC's place...which is worth the effort.

Be well and be wise.

HB

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
would never live in San Juan

While Santiago is certainly an improvement over Santo Domingo as far as quality of living conditions are concerned, the capital does offer some great attractions. However, many here will tell you that the traffic mess takes away most of the luster.

Santiago offers school, health care and nearly hassle-free driving, with sufficient access to beaches, mountains and other sources of relaxation.

But you are talking about San Juan de la Maguana??? That is a whole "nuther" world. It has its aristocracy, based on farming and cattle, some entertainment but it is so far from the beaten track that I do not think you would ever want to live there except to get away for everyone.

The 6 April is Holy Friday. Nobody on the roads. Easter Sunday is everyone on the roads. 9 April is Monday and the roads will be full of big trucks. Think about traveling about on Tuesday, with an early start into Santo Domingo and that visit to CCCCCC's place...which is worth the effort.

Be well and be wise.

HB

I would never think about moving to san juan HB,I'm only going to visit grandparents....heck I remember when I was five years old visiting el campo,all I saw was chickens,pigs and horses....what I'm really trying to do is compare both metro area,SD and Santiago metro areas.Thanks for the tip on when to get on then road,I'm gonna try to keep it as local as possible