Really afraid of being bitten while in DR, do I need to worry?

amypamela

Nov 14, 2011
I have a big fear of being bitten by a venomous spider or other such crawly thing, or a mosquito or other flying insect. We would be staying at the Ocean Blue in Punta Cana, are spiders and other biting insects a real concern at resorts, or more if you travel off site? Do you see spiders IN the hotel itself, on the beaches, gardens? And are mosquitos around mostly at night, or all day, or not at all in resort areas? Please help put my mind at ease!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Mozzies, most likely one or two now and then. (if they are about, inevitable for some, no biggy)
Centipedes, very very unlucky, not likely. (Always check shower curtain when bathing and it won't happen)
Spiders, very unlucky, highly unlikely. (Always put the light on when walking about in bare feet at night and it won't happen)
Snakes, no. (You'll be lucky to find them if you try, no chance)
Don't worry.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Please help put my mind at ease!

If you are allergic to something, certainly bring your meds.

No, the place isn't crawling with all of the above, and in general not a big concern. I'd say you're more likely to get a bad sunburn. But if there are products you use that help with the mosquitoes, bring them as just having them may make you feel better. You'll probably forget to put them on after a day or two as you'll see there isn't much of a need. That's not something I ever think to pack.

I don't think you need to worry, but yet kharma will probably dictate that you'll be tested by something because of your fear.

If you can be mentally prepared to see a spider and disregard it (or know how to deal with it), you'll be better off than continually fearing you'll see one. I say that as I had a friend who visited me that was afraid of spiders, and I didn't realize the extent of his fear until he saw one.

He survived, of course, his reaction because of his fear seemed more dangerous than the spider itself. We now laugh at the experience, of course, but I know it's not a laughing matter. Spider bites themselves are rare.

Also, depending on the extent of your fear, you could probably buy a mosquito netting to sleep with. (I in no way think this is necessary, especially in a resort area, but it may help you sleep.) They are still relatively common in many campos--so it shouldn't be impossible to find one.

And lastly, enjoy your trip. It's a beautiful country, and you've made a great choice to visit!

Focus on all the fun things you'll do and see.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Your biggest fear would probably be coming into contact with very large insects you may not be familiar with.

A flying bug is scary, but usually not a life-and-death situation. If you suffer from Entomophobia, which is a fear of insects and other such creatures, you will encounter situations that will freak you out no doubt, but nothing to really worry about.

May 29, 2006
I think over nine months, I may have gotten a mosquito bite twice, if that. Tiny ants can be much more of a problem. Any problem with tiny lizards or geckos??

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy/bring some "Bug Spray".
Spray you hotel room each day before you go out.
Besides,it's not the bugs that should worry you,it's those ever present "Vampire Bats"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The tarantulars are huge and very strong and love to creep into warm places ,,their tenticles can cover a bread and butter plate but there are not many reports of deaths.. On the other hand the huge wasps come at you in droves and can disfigure a face in minutes ...Sometimes if you do not tip the muchacho enough they can bring these little friends into your romm in bottles

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
bubble_boy.jpg
we tend to use these to go out of the house

amypamela

Nov 14, 2011
Wow. For my first post, I think I have gotten a taste of this board and may have to look elsewhere for my information from now on.

I thank those who offered actual information to help put my mind at ease. Obviously the others have never had a legitimate fear. I can totally take a joke and I hope that that is what was intended, but to make fun of someone's legitimate question and fear is not necessary. And, yes, to clarify, I do have reactions to stings. I live in Canada, where we DO have lots of biting insects, I just wanted to ask what was native to your country so I can be prepared. Not wanting to let my fears ground me at home forever, just wanting to be aware to avoid a potential medical emergency :disappoin

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Wow. For my first post, I think I have gotten a taste of this board and may have to look elsewhere for my information from now on.

You could always wear a turtleneck and sweats on the beach with a beekeepers mask, I think you will be safe, if I was an insect, I would not bother biting such a bitter individual.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT can suggest this may be your the first visit to the DR, please do not worry, the resorts are the best areas to avoid bugs. The fact is there are going to be bugs in your environment, no matter where you are in the DR or at home. However, the resorts do a good job of controling/reducing the bug populations with fumingation and good groundskeeping/housekeeping practices. Also, follow Criss Colon's advice about bug spray (insecticide) if you are very concerned and bring some bug repellent. Please note: to reduce the sting of Criss Colon's bite there are about 15 species of bat inhabiting the island, a vampire bat is not one of them. The native bats consume fruits and bugs.

Follow the same advice as you would at home to avoid bug bites: wear light clothing, shirts with long sleeves and full length pants (good for avoiding bugs and sunburn), and bring liberal amounts of repellent, the type with the manual spray, not aerosol as aerosol cans are banned on aircraft.

Reduce you anxiety about the bugs and focus on having a good and enjoyable visit.

Regards,

PJT

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Bugs. Bring some sankie repellant. The only swarm attacking will be the animation team.

Jul 4, 2010
There are no poisonous snakes on the island. There is no recorded health statistics about someone dying from an insect bite. Of course, there are some people who are extremely sensitive or allergic, but surely they know about it and carry with them the appropriate medication or antidote. And for those with unresolved phobias, there are very effective antianxiety drugs. Here's a recent picture of my daughter Angela playing with a small tarantula...

2m31u37.jpg

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
spoke recently to a travel rep who was allergic to mosquito bites. She was just trying out patches (like a nicotine patch) against bug bites and was extremely happy with them. She bought them in the states

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
I have a big fear of being bitten by a venomous spider or other such crawly thing, or a mosquito or other flying insect. We would be staying at the Ocean Blue in Punta Cana, are spiders and other biting insects a real concern at resorts, or more if you travel off site? Do you see spiders IN the hotel itself, on the beaches, gardens? And are mosquitos around mostly at night, or all day, or not at all in resort areas? Please help put my mind at ease!

What I recommend is - on the first day upon arrival, find the hotel resort manager, and have a serious frank conversation with him. Tip him $30, and ask him to ensure that no tropical crawly things will be allowed into his tropical resort.

Please report back so we know how well the ocean blue in punta cana is managed.

Thank you

Feb 7, 2007
I have been to Ocean Blue many times and I have commercial relationship with them. It is a great hotel, really great value for your money and you will have a blast!

I have not seen any spiders, but there are some bees flying sometimes around the pool... I have not seen spiders, but I really do not care for them much. No other crawling monsters either. Mosquitoes - yes, there may be some during the nighttime, but they don't like me any more, so I do not notice them much. But if they are there, its' because there are everywhere. They shouldn't trouble you much though. Wear mosquito repellent during nighttime if you are concerned. If you will be staying there November through February, it will be cold at night (well, cold for me, anyway) so if you wear long sleeves you should be OK.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
For goodness sakes don't get upset if you see a gecko crawling around. They are common amongst the grass and treed areas around the property. They are harmless and feed on insects. The local variety doesn't sell insurance.

Feb 7, 2007
There are no poisonous snakes on the island.

Yes, there are! They were imported from Brazil with the poles the power company hauled in from there, when they got disembarked in the DR, along came the snakes. there are some in the Bayahibe and Yuma area now. Two days ago there was a report on local TV that a snake ate an adult Chiguagua in Santana campo near Higuey. The dog went missing and they found a "stuck" snake when could not pass a hole because of the dog inside its stomach. Also there are accounts of a new bus coming from Aduana (customs) into Higuey, import from Brazil, with a huge snake rolled on his rear bumper. They didn't notice him until they got here to town.