Holiday Cranberries

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, I know this. Price Smart in Santiago has 3 lb bags of dried CB for a very good price. Excellent when mixed with the 2 lb bag of almonds they have. I am going to Santiago next week and can bring some back for you if you want, Peter. There are also small bags at Playero, however MUCH more expensive.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Hello, I know this. Price Smart in Santiago has 3 lb bags of dried CB for a very good price. Excellent when mixed with the 2 lb bag of almonds they have. I am going to Santiago next week and can bring some back for you if you want, Peter. There are also small bags at Playero, however MUCH more expensive.

If you could bring two bags for us, well for Peter as he is the cook in the house lol, that would be great. Thx!!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The Belgian way of preparing cranberries:

500 gr of fresh cranberries (if dried, first soak them a bit)
100 gr of white sugar
40 cc of red wine
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
the peel (very thin) and the juice of a sweet orange

Slice the peel into very thin slices, about half an inch long

Throw all the ingredients into a saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. When boiling, bring down to just below boiling and let simmer for 60 minutes, without lid.

Some people like to add a bit more sugar. I like to taste it halfway through, and then add if necessary, as it depends on the sweetness of the orange.

We eat it with turkey and game, and the famous French and Belgian pate's.

Try it once, and you will be spoilt and not want the canned stuff anymore.

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Has anyone found the fresh or frozen cranberries yet?? I want to make Waldorf salad and the dried ones don't work great for that.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I saw no fresh or frozen cranberries at Nacional in STI.

I made cranberry sauce with the dried ones which Latitude brought for me (thanks once again) and it worked great. Adapted the recipe a bit as the dried ones are sugared, but the flavor is great.

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Thanks Peter. I'm thinkin I'm out of luck for the Waldorf Salad this year. I'll get some dried ones and use your recipes for Cranberry Sauce.