looking for good restaurant in POP

Jan 22, 2010
Any suggestions on good restaurants in POP. I actually live there but find it difficult to find a good pricy restaurant

T.E.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you want a good EXPENSIVE restaurant? casa colonial (in playa dorada, in hotel casa colonial) should be great for you.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
There is a decent Italian place - as you go down the street from the roundabout to the east end of the malecon, first or second side street on the left has a restaurant on its right side, - La Tarappa.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Heading into Puerto Plata a short distance past the large courthouse is very likely what you are looking for. I forget the name, but it is on the right and is in a strip mall. The restuarant is round in stature. You can see it clearly. The name is something like Aloha.

Maybe someone knows the place I am talking about, or you can find it. The chef is well known in this country.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
There is a decent Italian place - as you go down the street from the roundabout to the east end of the malecon, first or second side street on the left has a restaurant on its right side, - La Tarappa.

Been here a few times... alright... we've always been the only people there each time... heard it's the same owners as Portofinos... which I stopped going to after sitting in the back corner and there was a bunch of mice running around the floor and even falling off the roof...

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Heading into Puerto Plata a short distance past the large courthouse is very likely what you are looking for. I forget the name, but it is on the right and is in a strip mall. The restuarant is round in stature. You can see it clearly. The name is something like Aloha.

Maybe someone knows the place I am talking about, or you can find it. The chef is well known in this country.

It is called Aleph and it is closed

Aug 21, 2007
What about the place on the left, just after the round about. It's back in off the road, has a large outside porch and a yard with lots of trees. Can't remember the name. I wouldn't say it's pricey, more expensive, maybe. And good food.

Gosh. Wish I could think of the name. My alzheimers is kicking in. Sorry.

Lindsey

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
What about the place on the left, just after the round about. It's back in off the road, has a large outside porch and a yard with lots of trees. Can't remember the name. I wouldn't say it's pricey, more expensive, maybe. And good food.

Gosh. Wish I could think of the name. My alzheimers is kicking in. Sorry.

Lindsey
Maybe Las Palmas, good Italian food and not expensive at all.

Aug 21, 2007
Got it! Las Palmas. Whew! Beginning to worry about myself. Oops, sorry Luzcace. Writing while you were posting. Yes, that's it!

Lindsey

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Got it! Las Palmas. Whew! Beginning to worry about myself. Oops, sorry Luzcace. Writing while you were posting. Yes, that's it!

Lindsey

Las Palmas also has Argentine style steaks at night and on Sundays. Lunch is only Italian food. Nice place for sure.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Highly recommend TASTE. Go past the courthouse towards La Sirena. I think its the first corner on the right - restaurant is in back of the 3 storey building. Great patio dining, and also a very nice, fairly elegant air-conditioned room, as well. They used to have live jazz on the patio Friday nights - was packed the night we were there. Not ocean-view, but VERY nice.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Highly recommend TASTE. Go past the courthouse towards La Sirena. I think its the first corner on the right - restaurant is in back of the 3 storey building. Great patio dining, and also a very nice, fairly elegant air-conditioned room, as well. They used to have live jazz on the patio Friday nights - was packed the night we were there. Not ocean-view, but VERY nice.

Excellent choice for fine dining in the area.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
stefy and nataly: great, very good choice of thin crust fancy topping pizzas.
las palmas: fantastic sopa de mariscos, good pizzas.
la tarappa: great food altogether, very pretty place, excellent service.
portofino gets my big no. the food is ok but the place is nasty, cheap and dirty looking.
taste: fantastic sushi, fantastic service, clean and nice.
kilometro zero (not mentioned so far, opposite taste): good food, clean, good polite service. chuletas are yummy.
suhi-to/tacosito: believe it or not, a place that serves both sushi and tacos :) a street just down from tropical. looks a little rustic but the food is nice and has great prices. sushis are very good and they also have a choice of dominican stuff like mofongos and so on.

ps, i had to write the name of the lat place with a dash coz dr1 is censoring bad words :) :) :)

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Maybe Las Palmas, good Italian food and not expensive at all.

Las Palmas is great. The owner is a family friend and he's a really nice man. The atmosphere is really nice with the surrounding gardens and the food is great. They have big stone wood fired oven in back.