victims of crimes. Who are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Lets just focus on who are the victims of crimes in DR? Why is it in certain locations many people are so prone to all sorts of crimes even murder and in other locations, the expats are completely worry free of such events. Over the years I have been living here, I have come to notice certain types of expats are always experiencing crimes, robberies, muggings and even physical injuries, no matter where they live. Lets focus on ways you will become a victim in DR. Who are they? Why are they always falling into a mess no matter where they live on this island.
Lets talk about north cost for a moment and then we will talk about santiago as well. I see expats living in luxury, condos and villas, right along side of some of the poorest areas on the island. They drive SUVs and have huge LCD TV's and fancy furniture. They live in luxurious resort communities and employ servants and watchmen to watch over their property. Then you also notice, many always have a young tigre employed as their helper, sort of a handy man. He fixes everything in the house and is a buffer between them and the rest of the dominicans. Then many expats also have a dominican girlfriend or girlfriends or boyfriends if the expat is a woman. Who are the tigres who work for them and who is the girlfriend or a boyfriend? Seems to me the criminals and girlfriends / boyfriends come from the same slums in the city. The police also live in the same neighborhood as the criminals. Now you bring in a girl from slums, a semi hooker or a full time hooker. You give her freedom to stay inside your home, play with your mac laptop, your fancy camera, watch movies on HDTV on the wall and have 3 thousand pesos dinner in fancy restaurants etc. How long would it be before she starts to brag about her conquest to her primos (cousins) and chulos in the barrios? The handyman is also from the same barrio (slum). He too is talking about your HDTV and your fancy laptop. His friends are listening. Then a time comes when these elements of the society will feel like detaching you from your belongings. They feel you have so much money, you can always buy some more. Often times the young cuero (slut) who is married to a rich old expat just wants to end it all and take over everything so she can live in the same house with her family, but without him around. You can guess the outcome of these thoughts.
I see so many expats and tourists just go to sosua, cabarete just to be with cueros, barrio sluts or simply some banca girl. They present these girls as their girlfriends and often brag that she is not a hooker. This is it, to be a diamond in a rough for an expat, all she has to do is not have a hooker reputation. she could be totally illiterate and with qualifications of a maid, to an expats who only knows hookers here, she is a good catch. marriage material. These girls are watching you and for the 1st time in their lives, they have gotten some attention from a man who thinks she is a princess. Hahahaha. The expat who finds this woman so attractive and considers her a good catch is most likely also some man who is a total loser in women department. He maybe rich in usa or europe, but I can grantee you he is a loser in women department. he maybe old, unattractive or a total bobo. he will most likely fall in love with the first woman who will sleep with him. Then you have guys who only score with different hookers/barrio sluts every day. These guys usually end up the worst among all the victims. sooner or later they will screw a girl who has a real jealous BF and this expat is usually found dead somewhere. They are often robbed multiple times before something tragic happens to them.
Then you have folks who do not do all the dirty stuff yet they still get robbed. These folks don't realize they are the target from the very beginning. they live in fancy homes and employ cheap maids from barrios. They also have a handyman and a watchman. all coming from the same slums. Sooner or later these folks also get robbed.
Now you take the same type of expat and put him in the middle of santiago and santo domingo. the same guys find same types of dominicans no matter where they go. live in a fancy house/apartment and start bringing in cheap dominicans, ex: hookers, cheap barrio girls and tigres. They end up the same way as in sosua. I know guys getting robbed 2 times in 1 month. the moment they left for a few minutes, they came home to find their house open and robbed. how is that possible? who knew he had a laptop and fancy ipod laying in bedroom? hahahah. the robbers come for specific things with prior knowledge of the what is inside.
Why is it I have never gotten robbed anywhere in this island? I have lived in puerto plata, santiago and now in santo dlomingo. I have been living in this island, full time, since 1997. Why is it guys like santiagoDR, hillbilly and dave syner etc never ever come to see the events we see happen to certain types of expat victims yet we never even worry about such crimes in our daily lives? the point is simple: we do not live or mix with poor people anywhere. we stay in our own areas among people (dominicans) who live just as well as we do or better. We do not bring in poor/desperate dominicans to our homes to see what we have inside and watch our movements. Our friends are just as well off as we are so there is no need to bail anyone out in tough times. They only need our friendship and nothing else. We do not act like a big fish in the small pond. Our pond has many big fishes, way bigger than we are. our maids come with references and have a track record with other families. I do not bring in handyman to fix anything here. I take things for repair to the shop myself. I do not have fancy, expensive things in my house to begin with so there is little to worry about in the 1st place. We live a simple life here because to me, peace of mind worth more than having a huge villa and taking care of it, employing many people to look after your lifestyle and worry about your family's safety and crime. Having said that, I just don't know why some people still live in sosua and continue to mix with the worst elements of this society. I guess some people feel paying the price with your life is well worth it. good luck.
I do not worry about crimes here at all, although I know very well, anyone can become a victim anywhere and at anytime but I have carved my life in DR as to minimize my chances of facing crimes and becoming a victim.
AZB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Deadly Potion: 60+17+Crack

.... Now you bring in a girl from slums, a semi hooker or a full time hooker. You give her freedom to stay inside your home, (...) why some people still live in sosua and continue to mix with the worst elements of this society. I guess some people feel paying the price with your life is well worth it. good luck.

This case may or may not fit your assumptions but it is sad anyhow:

Muere de sobredosis en Sos?a ciudadano norteamericano

Sospechan que EEUU muri? por sobredosis en PP. | Noticias ENN

donP

Aug 21, 2007
I believe there is truth in what you say, AZB. Unfortunately for some, the life they come to the DR for, is the life that does them in. In other words, you pay to play.

Lindsey

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
That's easy to say when you're protected by a wall of text!

Truth of the matter is, yes some live lifestyles that increase they're chances of becoming a victim, that being said I think the average foreigner has higher chance of being a victim of random violence due to their perceived (relative) wealth.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
One question : why are you so fascinated to bring this issue about 'being rich and hanging out with the wrong people and you not having that problem etc etc... again and again? What are you looking for?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Ho hum.

In other words, "AZB is different because he lives in nicer neighborhoods and uses a cabana."

I actually agree with him in terms of expats making poor decisions. It's a bad idea in general to hang out (and show off shiny things) with desperate and shady people, but I wonder if it required The World's Longest Paragraph to explain that.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"AZB's", "One Chapter In A Book Of MANY Chapters!

We all have heard AZB's views on all expats who live on the "North Coast" and who may,or MAY NOT,have a Dominican boy/girl friend,M-A-N-Y times!
He always chooses to paint them all with his same"Broad Brush" of criticizm.
You ALWAYS "Blame The Victim" when anything negative happens in their life!
It THAT your defense mechanism??
It SUCKS,and is not true!
No one DESERVES to be killed,harmed,and then be
"Blamed"! They may have used Bad Judgement,but then,who hasn't????
I know a lot of people in Sosua,Cabarete,Puerto Plata,and "inbetween" who have never had a "date" with a Dominican,hooker,semi-pro,or "Beeper Chica".Can He say the same about himself???
AZB's Dominican "friends" are all rich,well educated,"light Skinned"(His Words),with 'STRAIGHT HAIR,AGAIN,HIS WORDS,from only the "Best Families" in Santiago,drive SUVs,or BMWs,with "Visas for the USA.
He says any foreign man with a Dominican girlfriend,can't get a woman in his own country,only here,if he pays her.
Yet he can't keep a Dominican girlfriend for more than a few months himself!
He says it's because they all want to "Get Serious",so he dumps them."AZB",you "Protest Too Much"!
Maybe they are the ones who tire of you.
For all of us foreighn men and women,North Coast,Cibao,Este,Oeste,and yes,even Santo Domingo,who have Dominican "Partners",we can only hope that one day,you two,will find a "Soul Mate" here in the DR,or "somewhere"!
As you like to end your "Rants" on DR1,
"Have A Nice Day"!
My 4 kids just got home from school.
Time to enjoy some "Quality Time" with them!
They light up my life everyday!
Cris Colon,
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited by a moderator:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I think that I am fairly assimilated in the DR. I don't hang out in bars and the people with whom I associate are far from "barrio." In spite of that, however, I have been the victim of several thefts.

1. A burglary while I was asleep in my home. I never woke up (my hearing aids weren't in) and so was unharmed, but the idea of someone going through my things while I slept in the bed was unnerving, to say the least. Later, I discovered that the previous tenants had also suffered a similar burglary, so I tend to think that it was simply an accident and not directed at me.

2. I had a young guy on a moto try to snatch a cross from my neck. I fought him and he took off, but I no longer wear a cross or any jewelry other than a simple watch.

3. Someone climbed to my second floor balcony and stole my orchid plants. I was told that there is a thief in Puerto Plata who has been doing this for some time and that many Dominicans have lost thousands of pesos worth of orchids in this way.

Of the three incidents, I would tend to think that the second was my fault because I shouldn't have been wearing the jewelery. The other two were simple opportunistic crimes and not, IMO, directed at me.

I have been told that most of the poor of Puerto Plata know about my efforts to help them and have been assured that no one would target me. Don't know if I believe that, but I do know that I am not treated like a tourist or like many of the expats I know.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It's not just a Dominican thing. If you floss in front of poor people in Santiago or San Diego or Brooklyn or Botswana you increase the chances that you will be victimized. Some of the 'Haves" don't seem to realize that there are "Have-Nots" who do not appreciate the constant reminders of their economic limitations. Some are sociopathic and will rob or murder as a way of demonstrating their displeasure and of those, most are just as comfortable in prison as they are out on the street. These people haven't got the capacity for either conscience or compassion and they are antisocial by nature.

That is the powder keg, now for fuse...

There are slums all over the World that used to be just modest neighborhoods before idiot box lifestyle marketing took over the airwaves. (please note the use of the paragragh). Now 'bad parenting' has changed from not being supportive and attentive to one's offspring to not providing the latest i-whatever or Nike or North Face or........ad nauseum. Goal oriented used to mean "how good can I make this project/product/process". Now it means "how much can I get out of this garbage, I got a BMW to pay for". We all lived through the "Me Generation" and we watched as Madison Avenue succeeded in materializing social values all over the World to the point where the clear message became "Your material value determines your respectability". The underlying message was "It doesn't matter how you get it, just get it or get left out". All of a sudden school kids were getting jacked for their sneakers...not to wear but to sell. WTF?

This happened in the USA first because that's where the lion's share of the marketing efforts were directed. Then as the media consolidation and global push was made (thanks to the development and implementation of satellite TV technologies) the broader World market was savaged with the same messages in every language in every corner of the World.

You can turn on the cable/ satellite music video channels on any TV in any slum, ghetto, barrio, trailer park or dirt floor hootch and see ridiculous clothing, jewelry, cars and homes on whatever your national equivalent of "Pimp my Ride", "MTV Cribs", "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" and any of the dozens of the newest and sickest yet of the marketainment genre: the "Reality Show" where every item of clothing, hair, skin and nail product, automobile, house furnishing, etc. is conspicuously displayed as part of the set while idiots compete for the honor of becoming the object of our contempt as we ask ourselves "All these guys are dumber than me, why can't I have all that stuff?" and the "Housewives/Jersey Shore" infodramamercials and their foreign equivalents further contribute to the loss of any collective redeeming social value that we might have left.

...and THEN they have the nerve to cut to commercials. Daam!

I agree with AZB to a certain extent, however being poor was never synonym of criminal activities. And visiting the North Coast or living there is not synonym of looking for sex for all the community. Criminality is everywhere and I bet that the majority of crime victims are the Dominicans themselves.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
just note: who is offended by my post. Hahahah. if the shoe fits then wear it.
CC, its not about AZB, it about expats making the same mistakes over and over again. bad judgement, you bet but do you need a doctorate degree to know the simple rules in life? No, CC, do not try to make this AZB vs the poor thread. This thread is not about me.
So people who claim to be decent folks and still found themselves to be victims of crime, don't seem to share my views on the roots of the problem. I think my argument is not 100% based on expat / hooker interaction. I have mentioned, if you live well among the poor then you too could become a target of the crime. If you are white foreigner and live close to poor dominicans and have some sort of interaction with them,. then chances are, some desperate local will take advantage of you.
Some people think, just because you are a foreigner in DR, your chances of becoming a victim to criminal incident increases. Yes, if you live like a big don among the poor. No, if you live among the well-to-do dominicans in larger cities. You will not even be noticed and no one will care who you are or where you are from. You just become another resident of the neighborhood. Eye brows are raised when the same expat starts to bring in cheap hookers in a nice, respectable residential building. This behavior will not be tolerated by residents for a long time. I have examples of people who have been thrown out of the building for acting like sosua expats. The truth is, no matter where certain expats live, they end up doing the same things over and over again. bad judgement? I guess so but if they repeat the same errors again and again, then how would you classify that?
So to live in DR crime free is quite simple and many people are living worry free. I am an example of this and so is hillbilly who has been living here for more than 45yrs. I know many expats like us who have normal lives and see no problems around us.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I agree with AZB to a certain extent, however being poor was never synonym of criminal activities. And visiting the North Coast or living there is not synonym of looking for sex for all the community. Criminality is everywhere and I bet that the majority of crime victims are the Dominicans themselves.
Criss Colon, don't generalize about women from Pakistan, please.

CC knows little about women, 99% of his experience has been with hookers. these are his own words. He is not visible to professional, educated women. Sad but true.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am not saying 100% people are living in north coast, looking for cheap sex, but to every decent person you know living there, I will show you 100 who are there only for cheap sex with cheap women. Are we kidding ourselves or what? I can prove this in one minute. Just go out to the main strip and see what goes on there. See who are the women in arms of the expats? Pleaseeeeee.

Status
Not open for further replies.