Changes at CIC - longer processing times etc. Give your feedback!!!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I thought I'd post something in here, seeing that there are quite a few people who are interested/affected by changes at CIC.

There are a number of changes going on silently right now that will affect applications. For instance average processing times at Port au Prince used to be 9 months for Family Class Sponsorships. Now that Santo Domingo has its own office, processing times have doubled to 18 months, even though one would think they would go faster. Processing times at CPC mississauga have also increased, from about 40 days to 70 days. Interestingly, Port au Prince now turns over applications in 6 months ( in helping haiti, DR gets screwed). In-Canada sponsorship applications which at the start of the year were at about 8-9 months for stage 1 approval, are now at 10-11 months (actually its closer to 11-12 months +). Asides from these there have been major changes to the Skilled Worker program, there was also a recent anouncement that there will be more Parents and Grand Parents coming in next year, but this will be accompanied by a two year moratorium on new applications. Basically the service is getting worse.

One way in which they justify these changes is by holding "stake holder consultations." These are non-advertised, non-random surveys, which can be found here (CIC isn't the only one using these, these were used in adding the "royal" to CF navy ect), it's worth checking from time to time, as they may be holding consultations which affect you:

Consultations

Also, when contacting your MPs, bring these things up, otherwise the trend will continue.

Thought it was important to bring this up.

Cheers

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Does anyone know how long it takes in the PNP, Ontario for pre approval? Initially my advocate told me that it will take three months for the Pre -approval? Now it is almost 8 months over and still I do not have the answer. Whenever I ask her she is telling me the same answer that it is in process.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Ask here: Canada Immigration Forum - Index There are people on here who are experts with all types of visa. Choose the forum which related to your visa type: Family Class, Work, Visitor, etc.... and ask your question. Or, read through the many threads that will give u a good idea with what is going on.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I'm wondering if the longer processing times have to do with the new application forms and processes they implimented in July 2011. I've been observing the posted times getting longer and longer myself. Plus, with federal goverment jobs being cut, I wonder if they're dealing with increasing back logs? I work for the government myself, and we went through a huge backlog reduction strategy over the past 2 years and implemented new service standards that we are not realistically able to meet because they cut our workforce nearly in half. Also, prior to the elections there was a lot of public outcry over marriage fraud and they were announcing their plan to make it more difficult to obtain permanent residence in Canada via family and spousal sponsorship etc. I guess the fraudulent cases have made it more difficult for everyone.