Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Unlocked Phones?

    Is it better/cheaper to buy an unlocked phone in Canada/US (which is where I am) and simply get a SIM card with a plan in the DR once I arrive or just get a local phone with the plan?

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    if you have a phone you can get it unlocked here for around 10$

    as a newcomer, it will not be so easy to get a plan (best chance is with orange)

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    11,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    get a samsung galaxy s 4g by tmobile (craigslist) and I will unlock it for you free. Then you can hook it up with orange or claro.
    This phone is an android phone and will do much more than just making and receiving calls. Now if you just want a simple cheap phone, you can get one here for 10 dollars, activated by a card.
    AZB

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post
    as a newcomer, it will not be so easy to get a plan (best chance is with orange)
    Why do you say that it will be difficult to get a plan as a newcomer? What are my options other than a plan?

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    get a samsung galaxy s 4g by tmobile (craigslist) and I will unlock it for you free. Then you can hook it up with orange or claro.
    This phone is an android phone and will do much more than just making and receiving calls. Now if you just want a simple cheap phone, you can get one here for 10 dollars, activated by a card.
    AZB
    Not looking for a phone I'll get stolen... something that can make calls, sms and perhaps get online with... but nothing extraordinary.

  6. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    prepaid cards.

    It also depends on where you are. In areas with lots of expats it will be easier to get a prepaid plan, if you pay a deposit of 1 or 2 months. Frequently they will ask you local references, or proof of a Dominican bank account (for which you also either need property or references)

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post
    prepaid cards.

    It also depends on where you are. In areas with lots of expats it will be easier to get a prepaid plan, if you pay a deposit of 1 or 2 months. Frequently they will ask you local references, or proof of a Dominican bank account (for which you also either need property or references)
    I'll be in Santiago.

    Helpful info regarding a bank account (which I'll also need). So, step 1 is getting a bank acct by the sounds of it as I'll be there long-term. In terms of references, what are some of the qualifications they are looking for (ie: a local business owner)?

  8. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    for a bank account with banco popular you will either need a reference from your bank in the US (bring that in any case), or 3 references from Dominicans who have a bank-account with banco popular (preferably that branch).

    Mind you, as you will discover, those rules may vary from one office to another. If you are a missionary I would propose you seek help from your employer, or school where you will be working, and it should not be a problem.

    References which also count are the electricity suppliers (if the bill is in your name), and other utility suppliers.

    You will discover quickly that they make the rules up as they go, so use your imagination to get around them.

  9. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    11,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCMissionary View Post
    Not looking for a phone I'll get stolen... something that can make calls, sms and perhaps get online with... but nothing extraordinary.
    i am talking about a simple phone, not the top line. it will do all you are looking for.
    AZB

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •