Unlocked Phones?

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
Is it better/cheaper to buy an unlocked phone in Canada/US (which is where I am) and simply get a SIM card with a plan in the DR once I arrive or just get a local phone with the plan?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
if you have a phone you can get it unlocked here for around 10$

as a newcomer, it will not be so easy to get a plan (best chance is with orange)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
get a samsung galaxy s 4g by tmobile (craigslist) and I will unlock it for you free. Then you can hook it up with orange or claro.
This phone is an android phone and will do much more than just making and receiving calls. Now if you just want a simple cheap phone, you can get one here for 10 dollars, activated by a card.
AZB

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
get a samsung galaxy s 4g by tmobile (craigslist) and I will unlock it for you free. Then you can hook it up with orange or claro.
This phone is an android phone and will do much more than just making and receiving calls. Now if you just want a simple cheap phone, you can get one here for 10 dollars, activated by a card.
AZB

Not looking for a phone I'll get stolen... something that can make calls, sms and perhaps get online with... but nothing extraordinary.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
prepaid cards.

It also depends on where you are. In areas with lots of expats it will be easier to get a prepaid plan, if you pay a deposit of 1 or 2 months. Frequently they will ask you local references, or proof of a Dominican bank account (for which you also either need property or references)

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
prepaid cards.

It also depends on where you are. In areas with lots of expats it will be easier to get a prepaid plan, if you pay a deposit of 1 or 2 months. Frequently they will ask you local references, or proof of a Dominican bank account (for which you also either need property or references)

I'll be in Santiago.

Helpful info regarding a bank account (which I'll also need). So, step 1 is getting a bank acct by the sounds of it as I'll be there long-term. In terms of references, what are some of the qualifications they are looking for (ie: a local business owner)?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
for a bank account with banco popular you will either need a reference from your bank in the US (bring that in any case), or 3 references from Dominicans who have a bank-account with banco popular (preferably that branch).

Mind you, as you will discover, those rules may vary from one office to another. If you are a missionary I would propose you seek help from your employer, or school where you will be working, and it should not be a problem.

References which also count are the electricity suppliers (if the bill is in your name), and other utility suppliers.

You will discover quickly that they make the rules up as they go, so use your imagination to get around them.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Not looking for a phone I'll get stolen... something that can make calls, sms and perhaps get online with... but nothing extraordinary.

i am talking about a simple phone, not the top line. it will do all you are looking for.
AZB