Xoom, any good?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It's been a few years since I've done this and I used Western Union then, I understand there are newer options (possibly cheaper) to transfer cash amounts instantly. Xoom seems to pop up in searches, anyone got any experience with them or recommendations for another?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Actually it appears this Zoom transfer is only available from the US and not the UK, so guess no good. Unless someone knows differently?

edm7583

May 29, 2007
No problem using Xoom and it only cost $4.99 and sent 10000 pesos that could be picked up at any BHD bank in 30 minutes.

Feb 7, 2007
Actually it appears this Zoom transfer is only available from the US and not the UK, so guess no good. Unless someone knows differently?

They used to accept international customers, and even PayPal. But not any more. You could try Moneygram (usually cheaperthan WU), RiaEnvia (riafianncial.com) for in-person transfers.

Feb 7, 2007
If you send online at westernunion.com (UK country page) with your UK card, the fee is about 4%. Not bad at all, considering Vimenca (WU) charges 12% to send anything out of the DR over WU network. Ladrones! They (Vimenca) are one of the most expensive outbound WU agents in the world!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I wonder why they stopped international usage, on the outside it appears a step back no? Anyway, it is what it is.

Yes it looks like western union have this covered, I'll go with them. The rates are not that bad I just expected them to have more competition these days.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I used WU with my cc, when my atm card was copied by an atm. It was not cheap (cc. 4% and not the most fantastic exchange rate) but the money was there in less than 5 minutes. Thanks to WU I had some money to eat... lol

btw... Belgium to the DR

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I just sent 100 and it cost me 106.90, that is obviously not 4%, pretty bad E/R rate as well. never mind, solved an issue job done.

USAF GI

Oct 29, 2010
XOOM So far so good

I use them monthly and have had great service....with a great cost 4.99 transaction

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
For anyone sending from the USA TO THE dr,i THINK xoom IS great.
Set up an account on line.They call you to verify your info,and it's all done by you,and your "Keyboard" after that.You can send the money to other places as well as BHD. It can also be delivered for an additional charge.
If the person in the DR has a bank account,it costs less.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I agree it looks good, the charges are half of that of WU. I've googled for a reason they withdrew from international service, but nothing, like I said, from the outside looks like a step backwards, but there you go.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I agree it looks good, the charges are half of that of WU. I've googled for a reason they withdrew from international service, but nothing, like I said, from the outside looks like a step backwards, but there you go.

Most likely there was too much fraud with non-US cards and they decided to cut their losses this way.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Uneven Delivery

I have used Xoom 4 times. My only complaint was the uneven delivery time to BHD. My bank in US to BHD. 1st time 4 days, 2nd 2 days, 3rd 1 day, 4th 4 days. I was under the impression that the more you used them the faster it got. They blamed the delay on slow approval at my bank in the US. Doing it from my desk, easy pickup at BHD and reasonable rates are all advantages. If I remember right thier exchange rate was not all that great so I sent it in dollars for a small additional charge.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If I remember right thier exchange rate was not all that great so I sent it in dollars for a small additional charge.
What is the point in that, surely the charge for sending in US$ outweighs the benefit and so no one is better off, no?

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Boom

You also might want to check out Boom at useboom.com which is a new transfer service modeled on that african sms based transfer system. This is targeted at making regular transfers from immigrants in the US to Mexico, CA and the carribbean much cheaper and more practical for frequent small amounts. You pay an annual fee and a small fee to load money but nothing to transfer which can be done by sms or phone call at any time and shows up more or less instantly on the recipients account/ debit card. In US 7-11 is major input point.