A TRUE SURVIVOR IN SOSUA

R

Richard

 Should you be looking for something different to do when you are visiting Sosua, you might consider having a talk with Mr. Luis Hess. Mr. Hess was one of the first European refugees to arrive in Sosua in 1940. In 1941 he married a Dominican woman who passed away in November 2000. His two sons, long gone from Sosua, are, I believe university professors in Austria. For many years Mr. Hess was the principle of Colegio Cristobal Colon a primary school on Pedro Clisante, Sosua?s main street. Most evenings from about 4p.m. Mr. Hess sits at the gate to his house opposite Hotel Central enjoying a glass of Brugal Anejo. Now the nice thing. The school which is but a stone?s throw from his house has been re-named Colegio Luis Hess in his honour. It is certainly a good move to honour this man, now in his 90?s while he is living who has influenced so many young people who have gone on to make their mark in the world. So, if you are out some evening in Sosua and see this remarkable survivor why not stop by for a little chat. He enjoys the company and so will you. You will find information about the refugees on the links at the web site below. Also should you be looking for some solitude while in Sosua, the Catholic Church is a beautiful little sanctuary just down the hill from the highway in Charamicos. Mass is celebrated in Spanish, English, Latin and I believe German. The schedule is posted at the church. The synagogue is opposite the ball field in el Batey and Kingdom Hall is on the highway between Charamicos and Sosua Bajo. Photos of the above are at the Sosua club on Yahoo.

R

Richard

Re: A TRUE SURVIVOR CORRECT URL

here is the URL for my previous message Once there just follow the link. The story is very interesting.