Are We going crazy?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know about that johnny, I think Dominican views about bachata have morphed over the past 10 years. Much more 'acceptable' to them. And lots of money being made.

I think it's the older [50+] Dominicans like my husband who would agree with you.

AE

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I don't know about that johnny, I think Dominican views about bachata have morphed over the past 10 years. Much more 'acceptable' to them. And lots of money being made.

I think it's the older [50+] Dominicans like my husband who would agree with you.

AE

I agree. bachata is more acceptable now, mostly with the youngs. but they fell more identified with the new sound of artists like Prince Royce, Romeo and of course JLG.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
RD$300 mil una mesa en show de "El Bachat?" - List?n Diario Digital

Still having the worst economic crisis that affects us. this country has the luxury of charging from 800dlls to 8,000k for a table, plus ticket prices for a party-concert of a bachata singer.
DNCD, CIA or DEA should be present.
This place will be full of Chopos with money. I cant imagine any real rich Dominican with class going to see a bachatero.

Dude, why you have to be so classist?? Yeah Bachata used to be considered for chopos but now Anthony Santos is slightly accepted in both societies. This jevito and casta mentality needs to stop in the DR once and for all...

And be sure, if it gets hip to go watch Anthony Santos the place will be full of original rich people, it just have to be "hip".

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
When Trujillo accepted bachata, it was inevitable it would elevate to a higher level of acceptance. Don't "dis" it (is that correct terminology?). I wouldn't assume those at a bachata concert were drug dealers any more than I would assume those attending a Led Zeppelin concert were stoned! (I hope you get this). ;-)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
When Trujillo accepted bachata, it was inevitable it would elevate to a higher level of acceptance. Don't "dis" it (is that correct terminology?). I wouldn't assume those at a bachata concert were drug dealers any more than I would assume those attending a Led Zeppelin concert were stoned! (I hope you get this). ;-)

Trujillo did not accept "Bachata"; he accepted "Merengue". Bachata did not exist when Trujillo died. Ask Luis Segura..

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Wrong. I met the man who was the first to sing Bachata to Trujillo (who claimed to enjoy it). I had about 12+ of the most famous past Dominican singers at my place a few years ago for some tourism video fandango and this came up. He's definitely an old dude, tho, so possibly he was blinded by Johnny Ventura and Milly Quezada who also stayed here. But I'm thinking he was spot on.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

This is not a regular bachata concert. I dont think of any rich Dominican who had make their money clean, spending over 8,000dlls to see Anthony Santos or whatever other singer.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Wrong. I met the man who was the first to sing Bachata to Trujillo (who claimed to enjoy it). I had about 12+ of the most famous past Dominican singers at my place a few years ago for some tourism video fandango and this came up. He's definitely an old dude, tho, so possibly he was blinded by Johnny Ventura and Milly Quezada who also stayed here. But I'm thinking he was spot on.

Bachata born in 1962, just one year after Trujillo was murder. Jose Manuel Calderon was the first who sang bachata, then Luis Segura.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
This is not a regular bachata concert. I dont think of any rich Dominican who had make their money clean, spending over 8,000dlls to see Anthony Santos or whatever other singer.

It's not THAT much although yes only for elite rich people. 300 per table, what 50mil p/p? Thats not mega bucks by any means. I bought my mother tickets for Tina Turner some years ago for little less than that price.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
It's not THAT much although yes only for elite rich people. 300 per table, what 50mil p/p? Thats not mega bucks by any means. I bought my mother tickets for Tina Turner some years ago for little less than that price.

Stop using an One Dollar Store calculator. 300dlls. = 11,550DP, not 50,000
and We are not talking of 300dlls, its 8,000dlls.
I?ve seen Pink Floyd, Rolling Stone, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Sting, Coldplay, etc with an average tickets of150-200dlls. If you compare any of these group with Anthony Santos. this guy is not worth 10dlls.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I?ve seen Pink Floyd, Rolling Stone, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Sting, Coldplay, etc with an average tickets of150-200dlls. If you compare any of these group with Anthony Santos. this guy is not worth 10dlls.

What are you talking about. I know how much it is. Rd$300,000 for a table, 6 to a table is RD$50,000 p/p, no? This will be an intimate occasion hence people are at tables. For such an event you expect to pay that money, it is not a student union gig.
One dollar store calculator? What do you think people have a table to themselves? F-M

People who go to see Anthony Santos probably don't think that much about Floyd and Clapton do they. But then again, I remember if not American and not your opinion then it is wrong or bad, sorry, forgot who I was speaking with.

Last edited:

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
What are you talking about. I know how much it is. Rd$300,000 for a table, 6 to a table is RD$50,000 p/p, no? This will be an intimate occasion hence people are at tables. For such an event you expect to pay that money, it is not a student union gig.
One dollar store calculator? What do you think people have a table to themselves? F-M

People who go to see Anthony Santos probably don't think that much about Floyd and Clapton do they. But then again, I remember if not American and not your opinion then it is wrong or bad, sorry, forgot who I was speaking with.

You need to come and live in Santo Domingo for a week, then We talk later.
Do you think the Elite Dominican would pay to see a carwash singer that normally charge 300pesos en los Car Wash de pueblos.
A guy who is famous because sang to the cows of a famous drug dealer Quirino.
this place will be full of drugs dealers and danger peloteros.
If you think this is music , go ahead
Aqui tu mayinbe

[video=youtube;GpGZOoyQj_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpGZOoyQj_k&feature=related[/video]

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I lived in Santo Domingo for 4 years thankyou very much. I don't think you have much to worry about.

I don't see your point with the drug thing. Are you telling me Santo Domingo is not usually full of drug lords and shady goings on?
If they are charging this then people are paying this, and so be it, I don't see what your issue is. But I probably never will.

Last edited:

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
pick any dominican singer, look them up in the phone book, they'll have a # to call, Hermanos Rosario, Ruby Perez, Tono Rosario, Milly, don't know so much about the bacheteros, but you could book a top name act for your daughters 15 birthday a few years back. trouble is that there is no worldwide call for Dominican artists and they need to work, and they don't care what fat guy is paying the tab. does that mean they are connected with bad people, NO.....it means they played a birthday party at some villa................

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think possibly mistaken for the likes of the Narco Corridos of Mexico. But CS doesn't glorify drug smuggling as far as I know.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

That's only true in your mind as a Dominican living in the DR you crave and idolize everything foreign... In the mind of people going to see Anthony Santos those groups (Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones) are not worth 2 bucks and a second of their lives as they are not interested. Demand is not set, is caused by subjective values on the individual. If you feel watching Sting is worth US$2,000,000.00 and you pay it then that's his market value right there.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Could it be that 300 mil is just a typo? I have been going to Frank Reyes concerts in the past few years where there is a VIP section in front of the stage and the tables are 300 pesos and the admission is RD$ 1000 for that section. Anything else would ludicrous, let's face it.
Both Antony Santos and Frank Reyes enjoy a tremendous following in the US and Europe and I believe the concert prices are quite hefty there. But in the DR? Rich Dominicans or not.
What's wrong with Bachata? It's Dominican Country Music and not so far off from Country Music in the Us which is enjoyed by millions around the world. Just listen to the lyrics... it's about life, lost loves and crying in your beer about it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No typo, the article states VIP, special guests will be $4000 per head, so the table prices would fit that pricing. All the tables will not be 300,000, they will be like the stocks at the Opera, a few of them and in specific points for best view, sound and service.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Johnny, you don't know what you talking about!!! Just b/c you can't pay doesn't mean others won't be going, specially your so call rich Dominicans.

Last edited: