Bridge! (Contract Bridge)

joejamchicago

Dec 29, 2008
:D Wanted: friendly folk in the Sosua/Cabarete area, either experienced bridge masters or simply those interested in learning, to form the Sosua Bridge Club. Please contact Joe English at 829-754-3948 or With doubled and redoubled finesse and regards, Joe English

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Joe: Any chance of you coming to Santiago once in a while for a bridge session?
Santiago is down to three or four players, and some of them are not talking to each other:
2 Dutchmen, both over 74
1 Dominincan lady over 60
1 Haitian gentleman who is here from time to time
1 Dutchman who is in and out of the country
1 Peace Corps Volunteer out near Navarrete that wants to play but needs lot of before hand notice.
Me, I stopped playing many years ago in order not to get into a nasty fight..

We would love to start again. Perhaps after the New Year? or sooner, your call.
And I have presented the idea of Bridge to some students at the university and they seemed interested...

Cordially,

HB

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Joe: Any chance of you coming to Santiago once in a while for a bridge session?
Santiago is down to three or four players, and some of them are not talking to each other:
2 Dutchmen, both over 74
1 Dominincan lady over 60
1 Haitian gentleman who is here from time to time
1 Dutchman who is in and out of the country
1 Peace Corps Volunteer out near Navarrete that wants to play but needs lot of before hand notice.
Me, I stopped playing many years ago in order not to get into a nasty fight..

We would love to start again. Perhaps after the New Year? or sooner, your call.
And I have presented the idea of Bridge to some students at the university and they seemed interested...

Cordially,

HB

Wow, sounds like bridge is a tougher sport than i had pictured...fights? nasty??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bridge tends to be intense. It is one of the few card games with international rules, a governing body, tournaments all the time..pressure. So.....

People get upset when you bid wrong, or when you do not play your cards right. They say nasty things about your looks, your breeding, or your mental abilities that are hurtful. Especially if there are geniuses around the table.

I am a simple, more direct type--Judo was my sport for forty years--so I get upset with myself and anyone who taunts, and I tend to do damage....so being a peaceful person I contribute to the organization of games but seldom participate any longer. I am sure you understand.

HB

joejamchicago

Dec 29, 2008
It would be difficult for me to go to Santiago. Please give me a call so we can talk. Perhaps some of the students
might from time to time be able to come to Sosua? Thanks for responding. Joe

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What's so difficult? there are buses from Sosua, they come to within a few blocks of our place and, if the timing is right we can put you up for the night. If you want to talk private, send me a PM...

HB

lieut_fakenham

Dec 13, 2011
January 2012 Cabarete Area

Any opportunities near Cabarete this winter for people who are just learning?
best
Barry