solar panels...anyone have them???

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
i was lookin thru the sale papers and came across this solar panel kit.

Solar Panel Kit - Save on this 45 Watt Solar Panel Kit

anyone know how many 12"X36" solar panels and batteries are needed to power fridge,lights,tv,labtop?
and what type of power inverter would be needed?
is anyone using another type? and can one find these solar panels easly in D.R.?
is a continous peak power inverter better than just peak power inverter

man this is a great idea.im gettin this for my home when it's built.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was recently given a quote. to power up the whole house (just the two of us so not much in terms of usage) it is half a million pesos. includes panels, new wiring, cables, work and changes to the existing inversor.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can probably get you an accurate quote if I knew exactly what was in your house as far as appliances, of all types, and light bulbs....And any heavy loads, like pool filter pumps or water pumps...

DV8: Seems high, depending on what you want to do.

One of my boys just put his new house almost all on solar. I don't know, but I will find out just how much he will pay EdeNorte this month...And I will tell you all about it..

HB

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I can only speak of my experience in Europe, as a sales director of the biggest manufacturer of the control systems for solar panels. As a matter of fact this company is one of the world leaders in systems for solar, wind, floor heating, etc...

They actually have a whole village, with regular families living in them, in which they test all kinds of different energy sources.

Their view on solar panels was quite explicit... even with the huge support from the EU, it would take an average family at least 10 years to get a return on their initial investment. As the maximum return on a solar panel is also 10 years, they deemed the investment worthless. I have to add to this, that in Europe, energy suppliers would buy back the surplus energy produced by solar panels by private homes. I do not see Edenorte doing that.

Of course sun is much more plentiful here, which might make a huge difference.

Nevertheless, if I would build here, on the NC, I would go for a windmill.

I realize this is not a solution for the whole isle.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
gmiller261, BelgianK was talking about the payback period being 10 years, not the useful life of the panels which is a separate but important issue.

I just received a quote from a local company for two different sized systems. This does not include the installation and keep in mind I already have battery/inverter systems:

10 panels system
Total of 2500watts $7,125.00 U$D
2 controls $606.00

6 panels system
Total of 1500watts $4,275.00
1 control $303.00

Plus (Installation, Materials)

Take the 10 panel proposal and make the assumption that it costs another 20% on top of the price to install the system. Then assume it can supply me with all the power I need. It would take about 7 years to pay for itself. Since it won't be enough to really supply all of the power, I suspect a 10 to 12 year payback period is more likely. The trade offs are improving and even better if you can import your own panels and get a better deal.

Last edited:

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
an average family at least 10 years to get a return on their initial investment. As the maximum return on a solar panel is also 10 years

My bad. I thought his second 10 year statement referred to a panels' MTBF.

Now mine was 4400 watts of panels for $4620 delivered. Now even if my payback is 10 years, one value added feature of a home, especially in the DR, would be 'free' electricity.

To keep the pool clean was $100 US a month in electricity.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gmiller: Those are great pricing. I have seen as low as 1.15 a watt...in the States. Then you have to figure shipping, customs, all that BS, and installation.
I wonder if Evergreen is still selling at that price???

Still have to report on payment to EdeNorte

HB

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
EverGreen went brankrupt. SunElec bought 7MW of their inventory.

Go to their web site. Bought a pallet of 20. They have others very cheap. Montero ships door to door (deals with Aduanas).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DV8: Seems high, depending on what you want to do.

miesposo wanted to part his ways with edenorte so the quote was for running whole household on solar.
avegage house, when it comes to appliances, btw. the cost was high because we'd have to run new wires, change cables and make adjustment to the inversor.
right now we have other things to buy but maybe in the future...

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
It is surprising that a country with a sh!tty power grid and blackouts would not wave taxes on the private imports of alternative energy. A one time home owners exemption. I would like to see the IMF involved since most of the so called loans are to pay off the power companies.

On a small note i have seen the solar powered hot water heaters work well. They may never pay for themself but take a load off the batteries.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
miesposo wanted to part his ways with edenorte so the quote was for running whole household on solar.
avegage house, when it comes to appliances, btw. the cost was high because we'd have to run new wires, change cables and make adjustment to the inversor.
right now we have other things to buy but maybe in the future...

How many batteries were quoted for the total off grid upgrade?

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
How many batteries were quoted for the total off grid upgrade?

Right now my monthly usage is 1500Kwh. I have a 10kw inversor with 16 deep cell batteries. split the dist board 110 & 220V, all items on 220V not supplied through inversor (ground well pump, a/c, pool pump) everything else is. Question, with that average consumption 1) how many panels would be needed to go off grid 2) can the panels / inversor run the 220v as well. Thanks FM

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Solar Calculator | Cooler Planet

Using your 1,500 Kwh consumption and a Miami location in the above calculator comes up with a 12 Kw system to supply 100% of your power.

If each panel produces 240 Watts you would need 50 of them. That's a lot of panels.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo says: we were told 8 batteries (what we have) but a better/different inversor. 20 panels of 250 watts.

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
here's a interactive guide. Solar Energy Systems : Tutorials for solar electric power shows u wiring of the batteries

i was looking at these solar panels Yingli YL235P 235W Solar Panel Discount - Solar Electric Supply 235watts in one panel for $350.7 of these will get u 1645watts at $2450

and this 2000 watt power inverter 2000 Watt Pure Sine Power Inverter 12 Volt by AIMS. With Free Remote. under $400

im looking for a charge controller.lets see what the experts say tomorrow.ill call a few companies tomorrow and see whats best compatible choices for the buck.it really does not seen hard to do it yourself.i think you can do a nice 1600w system for under $4,000 and be off the grid for 25yrs....sounds good!

Last edited:

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
It is surprising that a country with a sh!tty power grid and blackouts would not wave taxes on the private imports of alternative energy. A one time home owners exemption. I would like to see the IMF involved since most of the so called loans are to pay off the power companies.

On a small note i have seen the solar powered hot water heaters work well. They may never pay for themself but take a load off the batteries.

You can make a decent solar hot water heater out of a roll of black plastic pipe. I have used this in several countries and on boats. If you get a cold day it doesn't work well but most days it will supply water almost too hot to use without diluting with a alittle cold water.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is what my son told me yesterday: He paid EdeNorte 1250 pesos last month. This is a house with "full" equipment, including washers, fridges, A/C units, lots of lighting inside and out. The house is not 100% on solar, but close. And he watches over everything. If you want more precise information as to just what he did and how much it cost, send me a PM.

HB