Where can I find canned pumpkin?

Lnbond

Nov 20, 2011
This is my first thanksgiving living in the SPM, DR and I'm having some trouble finding canned pumpkin (something like libbys). Anyone have any advice on where to go? I'm assuming the capitol but what store?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Supermercado's Bravo, Nacional, La Sirena in the capital maybe ?, or...

You could make your own with some of the wonderful squashes they have here in the country, simply roast them off in the oven till soft and puree till smooth. Like this you can add the amount of salt and or sugar to taste.

There's a long going argument that Libbys canned pumpkin is not really 100% pumpkin anyway but a mix of squashes with pumpkin. Happy Thanksgiving !

P.S. Hwood beat me to it !

Last edited:

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Ditto on the Auyama!! cheap, great taste, use it just like fresh pumpkin. You can peel it and boil it, but I too prefer it roasted. That way it retains it's nutrition and more flavor. You can also freeze it once it's processed, but when you defrost it drain off the extra water if you use it for baking purposes.

May 29, 2006
Apparently Libby's pumpkin is made from this kind of squash, called cushaw. Maybe there is something like it down there:

CushawGreenstriped_MED.jpg

I much prefer canned for a variety of reasons, the least of which is the canned is not watery and pumpkin is a pain to process.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not familiar with pumpkin pie - my brain rejects sweets made from vegtables, habichuela con dulce, anyone? - but i do cook auyama a lot. it is perfect for soups, roasted as a side dish or pizza topping. in any case anything fresh is better than the can, right?

sopa de auyama (minimum calories, maximum taste):
peel, wash and cut auyama into smallish chunks (size of a half of a match box is fine).
put a spoon of olive oil in a pot, throw in few pieces of garlic, put on fire.
when garlic starts to get golden throw in your auyama. let it fry for few moments.
when you see auyama getting "glossy" carefully add water, just about enough to cover the veggies.
cook for about 15 minutes or until auyama is soft.
pour everything into the mixer and blend.
pour back into the pot. add salt, pepper and herbs to taste. if the soup is too thick add boiling water.
once ready serve with shavings of parmesan and some toasted bread.
simple and delicious!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You're in San Pedro - did you try Jumbo? I know Nacional in the capital has sold it in the past, and Nacional and Jumbo are owned by the same company. Sometimes they even have fresh pumpkins. Otherwise, as others have said, auyama (gem squash) is a decent substitute.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A "drizzle" of good olive oil ON THAT SOUP at serving is good!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Canned Gravy",......Shame on you!
Why buy canned gravy,just put a cup of salt in 2 cups of warm water!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lnbond

Nov 20, 2011
Auyama was the winner!!!

We tried jumbo, Iberia, zaglul, then went to la romana to jumbo and plaza llama...no luck. So I took everyone's advice and cooked the Auyama and it was amazing!!! I let it drained overnight b/c I read that is one concern about using real pumpkin but not a lot of juice came out. In fact the second round was so dry I had to add water to get it to blend!! All in all it turned out amazing...thanks everyone for the advice.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Last time I looked City Market in Sousa still had some. Also had canned cranberry sauce. Christmas is coming and u may want it then. On a separate freestanding rack.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Tropical in Puerto Plata and City Market in Sosua have pumpkin in the can; the ingredients simply read: pumpkin. I followed the receipt on the can and actually doubled it (using 2 cans) and they came out great. First time I ever made them - don't eat them myself - but someone said they were great especially with the fresh ginger! We had 2 of them at Rocky's and they went really fast; next year I think we'll make 4. Made the crust too from I think it was a Betty Crocker thing that you just added water too - came out good as well.

missyinbrazil

Sep 14, 2005
You probably already made the pumkin pie for thanksgiving already however if not you can find the canned stuff at Nacional in Santiago. I bought it last year after trying to use local pumkin and it was a disaster and does not taste the same even if you use the same ingredients. Also a side note the yams or sweet potatoes are not the same either so I ended up pruchasing canned versions fo those as well to make pies. If you want to try fresh pumpkin the best way to get it ready for pies is to slice the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and bake it in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. Once it is somewhat dried out then scoop the pumpkin with a spoon into a blender and puree. I also do this when I am making squash soup. I hope this helps.

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Should you still want canned pumpkin in the future, Jumbo in San Pedro de Macoris and MegaCentro in Sto Domingo both carry it. It's in the baking aisle usually right above the boxes of jello and pudding mix. I've always found it on the top shelf.(At times they also have apple,cherry, strawberry, peach and blueberry canned pie filling)
I have also purchased it in the past at La Sirena and possibly Carre Four. In both of those places I have found it in various locations.. It's been in with regular canned fruit or vegetables, with jars of jelly, or near the bottles of Karo syrup. It's sort of a guessing game.
Let the hunt begin!!!!