Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where can I find canned pumpkin?

This is my first thanksgiving living in the SPM, DR and I'm having some trouble finding canned pumpkin (something like libbys). Anyone have any advice on where to go? I'm assuming the capitol but what store?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

use Auyama!! cook it the same way you would real pumpkin!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Supermercado's Bravo, Nacional, La Sirena in the capital maybe ?, or...

You could make your own with some of the wonderful squashes they have here in the country, simply roast them off in the oven till soft and puree till smooth. Like this you can add the amount of salt and or sugar to taste.

There's a long going argument that Libbys canned pumpkin is not really 100% pumpkin anyway but a mix of squashes with pumpkin. Happy Thanksgiving !

P.S. Hwood beat me to it !
    Last edited by CG; 11-20-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: addition

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the Auyama!! cheap, great taste, use it just like fresh pumpkin. You can peel it and boil it, but I too prefer it roasted. That way it retains it's nutrition and more flavor. You can also freeze it once it's processed, but when you defrost it drain off the extra water if you use it for baking purposes.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Libby's pumpkin is made from this kind of squash, called cushaw. Maybe there is something like it down there:

I much prefer canned for a variety of reasons, the least of which is the canned is not watery and pumpkin is a pain to process.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i am not familiar with pumpkin pie - my brain rejects sweets made from vegtables, habichuela con dulce, anyone? - but i do cook auyama a lot. it is perfect for soups, roasted as a side dish or pizza topping. in any case anything fresh is better than the can, right?

sopa de auyama (minimum calories, maximum taste):
    peel, wash and cut auyama into smallish chunks (size of a half of a match box is fine).
    put a spoon of olive oil in a pot, throw in few pieces of garlic, put on fire.
    when garlic starts to get golden throw in your auyama. let it fry for few moments.
    when you see auyama getting "glossy" carefully add water, just about enough to cover the veggies.
    cook for about 15 minutes or until auyama is soft.
    pour everything into the mixer and blend.
    pour back into the pot. add salt, pepper and herbs to taste. if the soup is too thick add boiling water.
    once ready serve with shavings of parmesan and some toasted bread.
    simple and delicious!

7. Likes Matilda, Drro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're in San Pedro - did you try Jumbo? I know Nacional in the capital has sold it in the past, and Nacional and Jumbo are owned by the same company. Sometimes they even have fresh pumpkins. Otherwise, as others have said, auyama (gem squash) is a decent substitute.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a good recipe for Auyama pie..that tastes like pumpkin pie?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

A "drizzle" of good olive oil ON THAT SOUP at serving is good!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

11. Dislikes Hlywud disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought my stuffing and pumpkin at City market yesterday.

Bob K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast