Cruise Ships

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The thought of 3 to 14 days of being seasick is enough for me to not go on a cruise.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Given the headlines over the past few years, would you vacation on a cruise ship?

We have been on a few cruises. As a matter of fact, we are going for the Holidays. 15 night Valparaiso - Buenos Aires cruise December 18 - January 2) on the Celebrity Infinity. Going to spend a few days in Chile before the cruise and 10 days in Buenos Aires ( including 3 days at Iguaz? falls) after the cruise. I just cannot wait.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
a good cruise ...yes yes yes ..with Cunard or with Seabourn or Crystal or Silversea..I can think of nothing more relaxing for a month ..going around the caribbean and south america ..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
nope...don't feel old enough to do that.

Everyone I know who's gone on a cruise the past 5 years has been in their 20's or 30's. It's a whole different game now. Families with young kids go on the Disney cruises all the time.

been on a 21 day Trans Atlantic crossing and it was fabulous, except for the middle 6 days where we saw nothing but water.
Had to do a lot of drinking

Awwww.... what a shame..... is that called a Booze Cruise??? :D

AE

Not a booze cruise, cruises no longer allow you to bring own board your own suds, so you have to buy from them, even in international waters.
So for 6 days while at sea I nursed a few pints, not like a catamaran cruises in the DR where the bar is open and flowing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not a booze cruise, cruises no longer allow you to bring own board your own suds, so you have to buy from them, even in international waters.
So for 6 days while at sea I nursed a few pints, not like a catamaran cruises in the DR where the bar is open and flowing.

Since I have a totally irrational fear of the bottomless ocean, I've never been on a cruise, but somehow in my mind I thought they were like floating IAs. Surprised to hear you have to buy liquor on board!

AE

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I was asking because of the latest cruise-line deaths (Cruise Ship Docks in Boston With Two Dead Passengers Onboard - ABC News). Several times people have asked me to go on cruises. I tend to look at them as "worst case" AI because you literally cannot leave AND you have to pay for your booze (on many of them).

I certainly respect people who enjoy cruise ships just as I respect those who go on AI vacations. But you won't be getting me in either one of those anytime soon!

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
guys really

dont knock it till u try it!
its a wonderful thing,good food all over,all day
and u can bring your own booze
if u know how lol
Manu

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I went on an Alaskan Inside Passage cruise once on one of the Norwegian Cruise Line boats.

VERY nice. I can see why folks might like them. Not much of a drinker so booze was no big dealio.

Not something I'd do much because you aren't in one place very long, but can't knock the experience. I'll admit to having a greatly upgraded room, however. I took a cheapo 3-day Bahamas cruise and had a low-budget matchbox room. I literally had to shower sitting on the john, the head was that small...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Everyone I know who's gone on a cruise the past 5 years has been in their 20's or 30's. It's a whole different game now. Families with young kids go on the Disney cruises all the time

I shudder just thinking about that. What should I imagine?

- Minny and Micky Mouse making out at the bar?
- Donald Duck and kids dominating the pool?
- Snowwhite and the 7 dwarfs as entertainment, with the aristocats as band?
- 101 dalmatians ****ting all over the deck?
- balou the bear scratching his back on my doorpost?
- etc....

You actually have to pay because they call it a holiday???? They should give the booze for free because you sure are going to need it... lol

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Ajaijaijai!!!! Definitely gonna wait then until I am very old and deaf! :classic:

I shudder just thinking about that. What should I imagine?

- Minny and Micky Mouse making out at the bar?
- Donald Duck and kids dominating the pool?
- Snowwhite and the 7 dwarfs as entertainment, with the aristocats as band?
- 101 dalmatians ****ting all over the deck?
- balou the bear scratching his back on my doorpost?
- etc....

You actually have to pay because they call it a holiday???? They should give the booze for free because you sure are going to need it... lol

You guys may want to skip anything Disney that might help :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am not a cruise person. The thought of being stuck with people I don't know with nowhere to escape is scary to me.
I may take the kids to a Disney cruise one day , just to see if the threat of being flown overboard works :)