Traveling with dog to DR from the U.S.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Hi to all, I am going to be traveling with my 6 month old Boxer pup Rexx from California to DR in Dec. I have all the necessary shots records on hand and have clear it with AA that he can travel as a checked baggage.

Has anyone traveled to DR with a dog recently? If so, how was the process upon entering DR? and what (if any) paper work were you asked to clear them from customs in DR. AA did not know what DR requires, and I have not had luck searching online on what I need to do to clear him once we are at the airport. Gracias in advance.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Health certificate in Spanish, not older then 30 day's. Its a standard paper your vet should have in the computer.
For more recent information, check with William Webster here on the board.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
We have brought puppies (and cats) into the DR from the US through POP and SDQ. SDQ was a bit of a pain in the butt because you have to go over to a separate building to collect your puppy after passing by the airport vet with your certificates. POP was a breeze because it's a much smaller airport, customs right there next to the suitcases and with the certificates we went right on through.

The hardest part of all of the pet travel was in the US, in my experience.

jameshoff

Nov 18, 2011
I'm leaving Canada in three weeks for Punta Cana. I have all the health certificates in order but they are in english, is this going to be something I should be concerned about?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I'm leaving Canada in three weeks for Punta Cana. I have all the health certificates in order but they are in english, is this going to be something I should be concerned about?

Depends on the official you get. The law states those health certificates should be in Spanish, but I doubt any official ever checked those papers thoroughly. If possible make sure the rabies paper is in Spanish, this is the one they try to read.

Also make sure you have 300 rds to pay.

For those coming on holiday with their dog, do not forget you also need a health certificate from an approved vet here on leaving the island. Cost is between 1.000 and 1,500 rds, and yes another 300 rds at the airport.

First timers to POP, take my advice. As soon as you are in the luggage hall, get a porter. They know everybody there and smooth the way out of there for you. Will cost you a couple of hundred pesos, but well worth it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have never had the Spanish certificate - English only.

As checked baggage the dog comes off with the luggage.
If cargo, separate building.

300 or 350 pesos is the fee - both in and out.
Need an exit vet certificate too..

In SDQ, the animal office is below at Arrivals level, so don't go to Departures when leaving.
First take the dog and exit certificate to the lower level - pay the fee and get stamped then go to checkin.

On arrival, just grab a porter - he'll walk you through everything.

Rexx will like it here. Good luck

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Hi to all, I am going to be traveling with my 6 month old Boxer pup Rexx from California to DR in Dec. I have all the necessary shots records on hand and have clear it with AA that he can travel as a checked baggage.

Has anyone traveled to DR with a dog recently? If so, how was the process upon entering DR? and what (if any) paper work were you asked to clear them from customs in DR. AA did not know what DR requires, and I have not had luck searching online on what I need to do to clear him once we are at the airport. Gracias in advance.

How much does he weigh? I travel with a dog also, and the limit with AA is 20lbs including carrier. Are you on vacation or moving here? AA I believe has restrictions for certain types of dogs, with snub noses, (we have one) and if the size dictates they fly cargo, they aren't able to. Just an FYI that I have come across in my checking for travel with dogs also.

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Just came in August

I brought my dog in August for our 3 month trip and just got back. We had the health certificate in English that said the dogs name, sex,type, age, colors and weight. Also that he had all his vacinations including the rabies which is not older than a year. However you have to make sure the certificate is not older than 10 days old from the date you are arriving. We came into POP and the person who checked was just looking for those items on the form and it was very quick. However now that I am aware of the process, I would not have brought him because getting him out was a nightmare. A lot more expensive to leave with him then to arrive with him. Also I could use my credit card to pay for when he arrived but had to pay cash to leave with him, the reason is that most cargo places in DR are independently owned even though they have the name of AA or Continental, they are really subcontractors and they make their own rules and prices. Good luck!

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
How much does he weigh? I travel with a dog also, and the limit with AA is 20lbs including carrier. Are you on vacation or moving here? AA I believe has restrictions for certain types of dogs, with snub noses, (we have one) and if the size dictates they fly cargo, they aren't able to. Just an FYI that I have come across in my checking for travel with dogs also.

Breed Restrictions

American Airlines will not accept brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs and cats as checked luggage. The following is a list of brachycephalic dog breeds and any "mix" of will not be accepted:

Affenpinscher Bulldog (All breeds) Lhasa Apso Pug (All breeds)
American Staffordshire Terrier Cane Corso Mastiff (All breeds) Shar Pei
Boston Terrier Dogue De Bordeaux Pekingese Shih Tzu
Boxer (All breeds) English Toy Spaniel Pit Bull Tibetan Spaniel
Brussels Griffon Japanese Chin

My bad on weight, I thought cabin for some reason. Not checked. However the above I copied from American Airlines website.
Might be good to double check your information and avoid a major hassle.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

The 20lb limit is for carryon dogs.
A 6 month Boxer will be in a cage and checked as luggage. The limit there 100lbs including cage

My Boxer flew AA more than once without questioning his breed. But times may have changed.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I just brought my dog here in Oct. Up to 20#s if you want to be in the cabin. Dog must be in a soft carrier that can fit under the seat. It is 300Rd or $10.00 each way that you pay to the DR The form does not have to be in Spanish as long as its is the International form that most Vets fill out and use. Most importantly, as someone already mentioned it must be dated no later than 10 days from the day of the flight.

jameshoff

Nov 18, 2011
Thank you for getting back to me Belgiank, the information you gave me is great. I'm already giving up one dog to come to the Republic of Dominica, and I'm trying to make to process as easy as possible. Any other advice would be great, I've learned from reading the posts for several months not to stray off the posted topic lol.This is only my second post, and as it states I'm a newbie.

Thanks again JamesHoff

jameshoff

Nov 18, 2011
Hi LTSteve just a quick question, my concern is 10 days from the day of your flight? Everything I've done till this day is based on 30 days from entry into the Republic of Dominica have I been miss informed? Second Question is LT in your call sign military related?

Thanks for the info Jameshoff

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
No, LT stands for LasTerrenas. According to what info I know it has to be dated 10 days before the flight. Also, if you go on the A/A website it states that Boxers are one of the breeds that they will not allow for travel. I would call A/A to find out what your options are or find a different airline.

S

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
10 days is correct. I always do it less than 7 days to be safe.

My Boxer made it but life may be different now.
They are on the list - whether they enforce it is another question.

AA has limited space for dog kennels - first come, first served so don't be tardy.
I think 2 kennels per flight under normal circumstances.

There is a dog walking area at MIA if thats where you're changing planes.

jameshoff

Nov 18, 2011
Thanks again everyone for the info. I'm flying direct from Ottawa, Canada with no lay over in the states, I hope everything goes well!!If not I'll have some interesting posts coming up lol.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
I also would like to thank everyones input. I'm flying for the first time with a dog from Monterey CA w/layovers in LA and MIA. So lets see how this goes, hopefully the pills the vet gave me will keep Rexx asleep the entire time.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
With a few weeks to go, you can perfectly train a six month old pup to get used to sleep in his travel crate but start now. Leave tv or radio on at night with some noise, move the crate with the dog in and praise when he stay's calm.
Trust me, you feel much better knowing that your pup is feeling safe in his crate without sedation.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks again everyone for the info. I'm flying direct from Ottawa, Canada with no lay over in the states, I hope everything goes well!!If not I'll have some interesting posts coming up lol.

I assume you're flying WestJet?
They are good with dogs. I arrived last week w/ a new one into el Catey.
The dog is the first thing off the conveyor every time.
The kennel will be waiting for you after Immigration.