Crossing the Street

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
I was at friends house yesterday afternoon. After a few drinks we decided to head over to El Super to get some cigars. As I crossed the street singing right alone with this Hiatian chick, I heard my friend and others yelling, CUIDADO!!! A f..ing truck almost run me and the Hiatian chick over. If we did not look up and run, I'm not sure what would have happen. What is worst, the f..ing driver did not even slow down as he passed by. He just kept going.

I have been thinking ever since of what happen to the German Lady in Cabarette. May she rest in pease.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
SH!T, when i was 5 my mother told me to look both ways before crossing the street. But then again i wasn't sh!tfaced back then. Tony, ya think it might be time to slow down on the boozing. Seems John Barleycorn has put you in danger the past couple a days. Ask around, there are AA meetings in the Sosua area.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
To be honest, drinking is not my thing, but I like to have a couple of beers from time to time. As far as what has been happening in the last few days and months, it is my experience in Sosua that for some f-ing reason coming to the end of the year here, means more crime, accidents, and death..

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
a few drinks + a haitian chick (who was probably drinking too right ?) = you're not thinking with your big head :ermm:

May 29, 2006
You might also notice that very few Dominicans text while they cross the street...

I wonder how the mortality rate from traffic accidents compares to homicide rate for foreigners.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
It seems almost all drivers here is always in a f-ing hurry and most of them usually don't even covert long distances. Everything is near by.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
When are people going to realize that in the DR the pedestrian is at the BOTTOM of the totem pole when it comes to the street, followed by the pasola, then the moto, etc.... Here there is no law for hitting a person on the street, and the police feel that if you get hit its your fault, as the highway, or street, is for cars......so when crossing the street, look both ways about 4 or 5 times before crossing......don't forget this isn't Canada, or USA, or Europe

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I am a defensive walker. I always assume I don't have any right of way and I look out for the crazies.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
When are people going to realize that in the DR the pedestrian is at the BOTTOM of the totem pole when it comes to the street, followed by the pasola, then the moto, etc.... Here there is no law for hitting a person on the street, and the police feel that if you get hit its your fault, as the highway, or street, is for cars......so when crossing the street, look both ways about 4 or 5 times before crossing......don't forget this isn't Canada, or USA, or Europe

So maybe they should construct sidewalks for pedestrians to walk on like they do in Canada, the USA and Europe.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
So maybe they should construct sidewalks for pedestrians to walk on like they do in Canada, the USA and Europe.

I thought this thread was about crossing the street, and I have never seen a sidewalk crossing a street......a crosswalk yes, but a sidewalk.....and as far as I know most of the main streets in Sosua have sidewalks, not well used, but still have them

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why? Every Dominican is brought up understanding how things are, and what may happen if you don't pay attention.

Frankly I'm amazed there isn't 10 times the roadside carnage as there is!

This is nearly the Third World (I know, I know, not precisely the proper description, just sayin') with a per capita GDP of around US$8000 and dropping. People in the states pay more in net taxes alone than Dominicans earn. You'll never be able to turn the DR into a model of First world PC Nanny State sensibilities.

The DR is what the DR is, nothing more and nothing less. Love it for what it is.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
I walk to the gym everyday and I have to cross Tiradentes. Same thing every day. Some jackass talking on his phone, not paying attention to the lights, and not slowing down when there are pedestrians. I want to get an deafening air horn for when I cross the street...

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
I thought this thread was about crossing the street, and I have never seen a sidewalk crossing a street......a crosswalk yes, but a sidewalk.....and as far as I know most of the main streets in Sosua have sidewalks, not well used, but still have them

You said, "there is no law for hittiing a person on the street", not CROSSING IT!! So if there are no sidewalks, walkways, or pedestrian bridges available, where do you expect the people to walk or CROSS??? Furthermore, to think I meant a SIDEWALK ACROSS THE STREET rather than a crosswalk is totally assinine, perhaps you misunderstood.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Dominicans don't have any consideration for anyone crossing the street especialy gringos, even when i'm crossing with my 4 yr. old son i've had to move quick, or get run over.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dominicans don't have any consideration for anyone crossing the street especialy gringos, even when i'm crossing with my 4 yr. old son i've had to move quick, or get run over.

Well I'm convinced Sosua is the California of the DR. ie it should fall off into the sea.

Here in Santiago and many parts of the DR Dominicans cross the street without barely looking and cars stop for them.

In fact where I used to live before with all it's pretty sidewalks and roads is the pedestrian slaughterhouse of the US - Orlando.

Transportation For America ? Dangerous by Design 2011

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
You said, "there is no law for hittiing a person on the street", not CROSSING IT!! So if there are no sidewalks, walkways, or pedestrian bridges available, where do you expect the people to walk or CROSS??? Furthermore, to think I meant a SIDEWALK ACROSS THE STREET rather than a crosswalk is totally assinine, perhaps you misunderstood.

You are right I said that, but doesn't crossing the street constitute being "on the street"??????

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Why? Every Dominican is brought up understanding how things are, and what may happen if you don't pay attention.

Frankly I'm amazed there isn't 10 times the roadside carnage as there is!

This is nearly the Third World (I know, I know, not precisely the proper description, just sayin') with a per capita GDP of around US$8000 and dropping. People in the states pay more in net taxes alone than Dominicans earn. You'll never be able to turn the DR into a model of First world PC Nanny State sensibilities.

The DR is what the DR is, nothing more and nothing less. Love it for what it is.

For sure, 3 abreast, even 4 sometimes.

One moto in each direction is the secret recipe for lost mirrors or a "head on" accordion job.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It might appear to an unfamiliar eye that it is total chaos here and the while rules of the road are pretty much goes still Dominicans are more attentive about what going on around them than say in the USA because there is just no way one could get away with the stuff they do here back in the States.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well I'm convinced Sosua is the California of the DR. ie it should fall off into the sea.

Here in Santiago and many parts of the DR Dominicans cross the street without barely looking and cars stop for them.

In fact where I used to live before with all it's pretty sidewalks and roads is the pedestrian slaughterhouse of the US - Orlando.

Definitely a recipe for getting run over in Santiago.

.... and cars stop for them - Not the parts of Santiago I travel.

The drivers use the "HORN" in place of the "BRAKE".
You either get the hell out of their way or get hit!

Don

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011

I think I've just realized what's going on CHIP. YOU live in the Sweden or Canada of Dominican Republic. You don't see any of the problems that we do because your neighbors are all educated patient enlightened people!

As for me, I've found that driving here has made me a LESS CONSIDERATE driver! Let's call it osmosis. Last time I was in Miami, I cut off a pedestrian and felt soooo ashamed, and he was not too happy either. It's like I forgot how it's 'supposed to be'...