Flying in with lots of electricals?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'm flying back into DR soon and am planning on bringing with me 2xL/T cooling pads, 2x ipads, 2xL/T's, Iphones, blackberrys a few other electrical odds n sods. I've brought stuff in as packed luggage before but I never this much electricals in hand luggage. Can you see a reason this may be an issue, so much electrical stuff as carry on?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No!
Unless they check your bag.
Then you can never know what to expect.
I find cash helps them wave you through.
In SD, I HAVEN'T BEEN CHECKED IN MANY YEARS.
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I have just been given a load of presents to take back, all wrapped up. I know there is some restrictions on new things, is it just things for trade, obvious gifts won't be an issue will they? Kids clothes, scooters, noisy kids toys and such like, all new and still boxed. At this rate I will get mistaken for Santa.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I have just been given a load of presents to take back, all wrapped up. I know there is some restrictions on new things, is it just things for trade, obvious gifts won't be an issue will they? Kids clothes, scooters, noisy kids toys and such like, all new and still boxed. At this rate I will get mistaken for Santa.
Wrapped gifts may slow you down before you depart. TSA advises that if anything questionable appears on scanner (usually anything with electronics, batteries, etc), they will have to be unwrapped and inspected by hand.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hmmm, sounds negative. I fly into Miami then SDQ. I'll check them, possibly that will see its way through easier. I'm not so bothered about a hold up this end, I just want no issue between the US and SDQ as I have to collect, pass customs and then recheck my bag on the other side. Miami could end up being a bit of an arse could it? hmmm, typical.

Jan 17, 2009
" Miami could end up being a bit of an arse could it? hmmm, typical." They could if they are new.... but since your luggage is checked through the DR (luggage tags will have final destination airport printed on it), I doubt they will give you a hard time at US customs.

In the DR, I have had my bags checked every single time I came in (usually three times a year I fly back to the US), but never ever, they checked my carry-on.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The trick in the DR is not to go through the exit area unless there is a good amount of traffic leaving. Sometimes I wait for a rush and tag along. Works for me.

If you are going through with a small amount of traffice they can search everyone, with a big crowd your chances are much better.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I dunno, i seem to attract attention, it is the arse that is the US that makes it so difficult. Why we have to collect bags and go through another customs before handing them over again I don't know, it makes the whole process a farce. I will get pulled at customs at Miami, I can't get through the US without getting interrogated. What exactly is the big issue with bringing new things. I've unpacked the laptops and suchlike to look used for the DR, but surely there is no law about bringing Christmas gifts, new and boxed into foreign countries. I'm struggling to see what the deal is with this as I'm not familiar with this scenario of playing airport santa.