Why do you live here, if you hate it so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I really wonder about that.

All the time on this board you read about people complaining:
- the "AMRATS"
- the driving
- those bloody Dominicans
- everybody is a thief here
- you cannot get decent food here
- they rip you off every time you show your face
- etc...

So why did you move here in the first place? And, for gods sake why are you staying if you hate it that much?

I, personally, know why I am here. I love the climate, the relaxed atmosphere, the locals, the beaches, the mountains, etc... And there is not a bone in my body contemplating a move back to Belgium, with all the stressed people, the pollution, high taxes, bad summers, dreary winters, etc...

No, I am not wearing a blindfold, and I do know this is not paradise. But paradise does not exist, anywhere.

Just a suggestion, maybe all of you who hate it so much here, should move back a month or 2 to their respective home countries. I bet you, a lot of you will hurry back over here. Seriously, try it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is nothing to do with being here or there, it is certain people everywhere. And it doesn't even take a certain person to be in this bracket, everyone has a winge about things, that is how we overcome issues every day. If nothing got on our nerves then life would be pretty boring. Off loading stresses is good for you, no big deal.

I really wonder about that.

All the time on this board you read about people complaining:
- the "AMRATS"
- the driving
- those bloody Dominicans
- everybody is a thief here
- you cannot get decent food here
- they rip you off every time you show your face
- etc...

So why did you move here in the first place? And, for gods sake why are you staying if you hate it that much?

I, personally, know why I am here. I love the climate, the relaxed atmosphere, the locals, the beaches, the mountains, etc... And there is not a bone in my body contemplating a move back to Belgium, with all the stressed people, the pollution, high taxes, bad summers, dreary winters, etc...

No, I am not wearing a blindfold, and I do know this is not paradise. But paradise does not exist, anywhere.

Just a suggestion, maybe all of you who hate it so much here, should move back a month or 2 to their respective home countries. I bet you, a lot of you will hurry back over here. Seriously, try it.

Excactly how I feel about alot of posters recently. Belgiank I will be down to that living hell in mid December I will get you a beer or your beverage of choice for reading my mind and posting this, I was going to do a similar thread myself. We could get a grande at Rumba and walk around the corner and watch the angry gringos watching the Amet doing their job, Should be fun.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
P-SSY !!!!!!!!!!!

Everything else can be overlooked!!!!!!!!!

Yeah,
but it can be so stressful having to choose between so many beautiful women every day!
:bandit:

:smoke: And then you have to decide which "cigarette" is best to smoke after which. :smoke:

Just too stressful!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
only one reason for me to be here: miesposo (well, now it's dogs and cats too). i go where he goes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My grandparents left Scotland around 1930 .
They talked constantly about 'the old country' and how good it was. The longer they were in Canada, the thicker their brogue got.

My father tired of hearing the 'old country' stories and sent them back one time - in the '60's or '70s -

We never heard any more 'old country' reminiscings after that.
The houses were cold and damp. Spaces were cramped. Life in No America wasn't so bad.

I hope you all can see the similarity here.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Badpiece33 and Belgiank,
Many of these posts are to warn people so they can avoid the "stress" and enjoy the Sosau Beach , Pedro Clisante, and the Emily Watson Dancers washing cars! Paradise - well not bad as places go !!!!

OLLY and the Team

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Olly! who is this team?

Are you a team around a computer or a team of minds constructing each post, or a team of ,,,,,,,,,, well a team of what?
I keep reading 'Olly and the team', but some of us have no idea who the team is or is referring to.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My question is why do people who live in a tourist area like Sosua or Juan Dolio think that the rest of the people in the country are like the locals?

That would be like moving to a bad area with drugs and prostitutes in the Bronx and then saying all Americans are like the ones where they live.

For those who live in Sosua and Juan Dolio who are offended, sorry but the facts are these are high crime areas and centers of drugs and prostitution and in fact ridiculed by Dominicans who don't live there too.

Mar 2, 2008
If the rumors of high crimes and misdemeanors help to keep the self-righteous and sanctimonious riff-raff out of Sosua then the end result with be well worth all the slings and arrows we suffer.

It's all good.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If the rumors of high crimes and misdemeanors help to keep the self-righteous and sanctimonious riff-raff out of Sosua then the end result with be well worth all the slings and arrows we suffer.

It's all good.

No offense but the issue here is people posting crimes on a daily basis in the tourist areas and lamenting the poor, uneducated, inconsiderate and primitive behavior of the locals and projecting that on the rest of the country and not that the Bible wielding sanctimonious gringos are causing havoc in said areas.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have stated before I came here to retire because the weather is pretty good and the price trade off from where I came from was favorable despite the weather being better there than here. The issues that arise that are not present where I came from I either overlook, overcome or complain about while overcoming them. To the OP, the trade offs needed to be made to live here are not for everyone and so they will complain frequently if they are unable to adjust.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
The topic of this thread needs to be changed. Let me make some suggestions:

* Why do you care about other people's opinions?
* Why are some gringos here so blind to the realities on the ground?
* Why does it bother you that others are entitled to an opinion?

I'm here for a 2-3 year stint because of my husband's work. It doesn't mean I (or he) have to like it. People in New York and LA do things for work that they don't like. That's just life.

Doesn't mean we should bight our tongue about the rats, prostitution, corruption, and backwards state of affairs.
If it bothers you so much, don't read those comments!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Clint Eastwood summed it up the best when he said "you improvise, you overcome you adapt" (movie Heartbreak Ridge) and those of us that can do this love the place, and those who refuse to do this, sit and complain to anyone who will listen, or in this case, read......

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
M
For those who live in Sosua and Juan Dolio who are offended, sorry but the facts are these are high crime areas and centers of drugs and prostitution and in fact ridiculed by Dominicans who don't live there too.

Do you mean Juan Dolio or do you mean Boca Chica. Two completely different places. Juan Dolio, where I used to live, is full of high end apartment buildings owned in the main by rich people from the capital. Few tourists as there are only 2 AI hotels, very few prostitutes, and if there is a drug problem I didn't see it. Crime yes.

Matilda

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
* Why do you care about other people's opinions?

Why can't the same be said for you based on this question and your previous posts?

* Why are some gringos here so blind to the realities on the ground?

Why do you feel the need to project your reality on the rest of us? Why isn't that arrogant and naive and the same time?

* Why does it bother you that others are entitled to an opinion?

Why can't the same be said of you? BTW, I have no problem people expressing their opinion only that they want me to agree obligatorily.

Status
Not open for further replies.