MotoCaribe First Tour of the '11-'12 Season Report

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Great time had by all!

Ride Report: Dominican Republic North Coast Tour

Slide Show by the riders wife who rode in the van:
<div style="width: 466px;"> <object width="466" height="375"> <param name="movie" value="http://cdn.photoshow.com/psp_assets/exbed_player.0.2.0.swf"/> <param name="FlashVars" value="showCode=UW4Kb6UW&systemConfigUrl=http://cdn.photoshow.com/publish/system_config.0.2.0.xml&viewerWidth=466&viewerHeight=375&autoPlayBack=false&muteOnStart=false&useWidgetMaker=false"/> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/> <param name="quality" value="high"/> <embed src="http://cdn.photoshow.com/psp_assets/exbed_player.0.2.0.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" FlashVars="showCode=UW4Kb6UW&systemConfigUrl=http://cdn.photoshow.com/publish/system_config.0.2.0.xml&viewerWidth=466&viewerHeight=375&autoPlayBack=false&muteOnStart=false&useWidgetMaker=false" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" width="466" height="375"></embed> </object></div>

This will be a fantastic year!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Great! I liked the way it was put together, BUT..
That damn music is not Dominican, and there are good merengues, boleros, even raggueton that would be so much better!!!

Like the d@mn advertisement for Guatemala that has Colombian music in the back ground instead of marimba...sheesh. Call Bev and clue here in??

Thanks Robert, it is a very well put together show...

HB

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Great video! Like i mentioned on another thread, me and my friend passed you guys last friday up in the mountains in La Cumbre. i counted 8 of you guys but i don't really know how many you were? My friend and i were driving an orange KTM 950SM and a CBR1000rr. we were heading in the opposite direction. I'm sure you guys had a lot of fun!!

Frank

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I must say the photos were terrible and the music none relevant, but they obviously had a good time, they are biking enthusiasts not photographers and musicians, so good on them, I'd love to do a tour on those bikes some day.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
First timers to the DR see and hear different things than veteran DR travelers. Remember your first time? These folks are from the Olympia Peninsula in WA state...

I'm flattered she took the time and effort to put it together. :classic:

They're scheduled to come back for the SW tour next year...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I can't think of a more enjoyable way of seeing and experiencing this island than in a group tour like this, and on motorcycles exactly like these Suzuki's--which are specifically made for absorbing the pot holes, fallen trees, and ditches that make up this fabulous island--some which are as deep as a three story building with horses, donkeys, and small children peeking out of the top of many of them.

I've been touring this island on motorcycles my whole life and it really is exhilarating, mentally stimulating, and stunning all at the same time--especially up in the mountains where you see coffee and cacao growing and drying on the sides of the mountain, fruit stands stacked with papaya, coconut, chinola, oranges, tangerines, small children, beautiful women, and grapefruits as large as one's helmet.

The cities also offer a variety of sights and smells to stimulate the senses and open the nasal passages. while driving thru small villages and large cities, one always has the option of bypassing the congestion and traffic on the streets and take to the sidewalks where, for good or bad, one is blessed with the agility to compete with motoconchos, passolas, donkey carts, small children, and AMET while traversing and serpentining to the front of the lines.

Yep, there is nothing as invigorating and mentally stimulating as a motorcycle tour around this fabulous island. In fact, it's best described as opium to the masses becuase its truly a religious experience, and it truly needs to be experienced in order to be fully appreciated.

Frank

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I can't think of a more enjoyable way of seeing and experiencing this island than in a group tour like this, and on motorcycles exactly like these Suzuki's--which are specifically made for absorbing the pot holes, fallen trees, and ditches that make up this fabulous island--some which are as deep as a three story building with horses, donkeys, and small children peeking out of the top of many of them.

I've been touring this island on motorcycles my whole life and it really is exhilarating, mentally stimulating, and stunning all at the same time--especially up in the mountains where you see coffee and cacao growing and drying on the sides of the mountain, fruit stands stacked with papaya, coconut, chinola, oranges, tangerines, small children, beautiful women, and grapefruits as large as one's helmet.

The cities also offer a variety of sights and smells to stimulate the senses and open the nasal passages. while driving thru small villages and large cities, one always has the option of bypassing the congestion and traffic on the streets and take to the sidewalks where, for good or bad, one is blessed with the agility to compete with motoconchos, passolas, donkey carts, small children, and AMET while traversing and serpentining to the front of the lines.

Yep, there is nothing as invigorating and mentally stimulating as a motorcycle tour around the fabulous island. In fact, it's best described as opium to the masses becuase its truly a religious experience, and it truly needs to be exerienced in order to be fully appreciated.

Frank
Wow. Well said, Frank. Can I quote you? That is one of the most accurate statements I've ever read.

Yes, touring the DR by motorcycle is a simply amazing experience...one of the best descriptions I can make: sensory overload...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A bit off topic for a second, but is there actually a difference between a motobike and car license in DR, in many countries if you hold a car license you automatically qualify to ride a motorbike.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Nice cobraboy, and I even liked the music. What can I say I listen to old boleros for fun. :)
I can't tell the difference between merengue and bachata, either.

To most of the world, Caribbean/Latin music sounds about the same MOL.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I stopped by to visit "the tour" while they were lunching at La Entrada.

The beach was beautifully swept and clean. The sun and surf was brilliant.
They were thoroughly enjoying themselves and the riders had no idea what they were in for next..... the ride onto the Samana Peninsula.
I wish I could have seen their faces for that segment of the trip.

It was a big turnout - 6 - 7 bikes plus Robert if I counted right.

Even if they got rain - who cares? They're from Washington state!! :))

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Another report from a guest: Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Dominican Republic North Coast Tour

I really enjoy learning how a first timer to the DR sees things. It keeps my own perspectives fresh. Things we take for granted are so fascinating to them:

Very nice slide show. We just arrived home yesterday. Robert asked if we had one word to describe this trip what would it be? We sat for awhile in a silent van as all of us tried to find the word that would sum it up. After having more time to think about it I have found the word that works for me.

EPIC!

If you are on the fence about doing a tour then get off of it and go. This is not for the meek weekend rider. You will need to be comfortable with riding a bike for extended periods and never knowing what may be around the next corner. (There are very few straight roads in the DR.) It can be anything from a moto, to an overloaded truck, to a stray animal, to the road turning to dirt, a missing manhole cover, and list can go on and on.

Life in the DR happens on the road. When you pass homes it is not uncommon to see the entire family and their pets sitting in front of the house with their feet on the road. With stands pedaling anything you may want or never knew you needed you have to be prepared that a vehicle in front of you will stop in the road to make a deal with the proprietor. In the USA you would have a melt down if this happened but in the DR you just give a couple toots of the horn and go around.

There are no hard and fast traffic rules. One way streets, stop signs, speed limits, stop lights, are merely suggestions as are the lines on the road. Warning signs for hazards are a luxury and usually its a stick in the road warning you of a hazard. It is not uncommon to see vehicles going the wrong way or using the on coming lanes of traffic to avoid the many obstacles I have listed above. Your idea of personal space must be adjusted as the roads are used very different here. What we think of as a two lane road in the states is really a three lane road (or more) in the DR. It is not uncommon to split lanes with two way traffic and have less then 6" on each side. I called it combat riding. It all seems like chaos but it really works. You spend little time sitting still and your always on the move making your way to your destination. My wife loved riding this way. She was laughing and honking her horn all over the place. If someone in front of you was slow you went around them. Even with an on coming vehicle you just went. (In the DR this is normal). You do not have to worry about the drivers freaking out or any kind of road rage and most of the time you will get a beep of a horn and maybe a wave and yes they will use all of their fingers. In our whole time there we never saw a traffic accident.

The food was amazing and fresh. There were stands and stores everywhere. You could pick out what you wanted to eat on the hoof and be cooking it in a matter of hours. The fruit could be cut right in front of you for you to enjoy. You will not go hungry here. Mostly chicken and pork, rice and beans, always with a helping of fresh cut fruit. I came with the expectation that it would be a Mexican food type of diet but it is not. It is just fresh made great tasting food.

For the ladies considering this ride - words from the riding wife - you have three options; You can ride your own bike, you can be a passenger on your partners bike or you can ride in the van. The bike is a 650 V-Strom and is perfectly suited to the environment. I have had thousands of street miles and extra training and will not suggest riding it yourself unless you are very experienced, trained and unafraid of the bigger bike. It handled like a dream and I had no troubles. You will ride in the rain - no liners necessary for us - and the mud and the sun and the hot and the humidity and in the rocks and up the hills and on blacktop. You will not have clean bathrooms on the road, if at all, and may not always have running water while touring. You WILL see amazing things, taste amazing food and ride like you have never ridden before. Sharing this with my riding spouse was extra special and something we will never forget. I suggest learning or brushing up on your Spanish, as it allowed us much more interaction and we stayed a few extra days on our own. This time is a car, which was also fun (I drove that, too). Feel free to ask me questions from the female perspective, as it is never quite the same.

This is a 2nd world country. Everything that we take for granted each day are not always available on demand in the DR. You will have some power outages, water is only to come from safe sources (No worries for you Robert and Alida provide you with all you need just don't forget and drink a glass full in your room), there are vehicles that you know would be condemned on our streets still running on DR streets. You ever wondered what happened to all those air cooled two strokes? Or street legal two strokes? They are alive and well working in the DR. Ah yes the smell of mixed gas it is heavy in the city streets of the DR. You can stand in one place and watch the clouds of it rising up into the air. There are a lot of vehicles that we called crop dusters.

You will also be entertained by all of the vehicles that are available to the DR that we just don't get to see. It was awesome to see the small trucks with little diesels in them. I never knew Volkswagen made a truck to compete with Toyota and the many cleaver ways people use them. I even saw a guy riding on a cab of a truck to make sure the tarp did not fly off of the load. And a Toyota Corolla with about 15 people in it. You will see a whole family on a scooter Mom, Dad, and all three kids on a Honda spree.

Thanks to Robert and Alida for this opportunity. It is now time for us to return back to our normal lives. To start saving for our next adventure. Maybe even the Southwest DR tour!

We will post some of our pictures here soon.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Now that was an amazingly honest, enlightening description and keen observation of what its like to drive around this island on motorcycles. And he's absolutely spot on in describing the experience with one word: "Epic." The word "Epic" perfectly describes the sights, sounds, and smellls that a tour like this affords.

"Epic" also describes perfectly the tour up and thru the mountains and valleys. He's also correct about the tour not being for the "Meek," but absolutely perfect for those still sitting on the "Fence," unsure of what to expect, but being pleasantly surprised by the kaleidescope of colors, flowers, and fauna always awaiting one around each and every corner and curve. for a newcomer, it can be a little overwhelming--providing one with the right amount of sensory overload, which, for good or bad, sometimes requires hospitalization, a cold beer, a warm cup of fresh coffee, or all three.

Frank