Looking for supplier of metal Tejas roof near San Cristobal/SD

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last trip we built a large [35' x 20'] raised [only 3' off ground] terrazzo on the back of our house. We had to leave before we finished. Right now we're debating between a traditional cement roof and columns, and a metal tejas roof. The only guy we found who can supply the metal roof is in Barahona. He just brings the roof to you [with a hefty delivery cost], doesn't do installation, framing, etc.

Anyone know of someone nearer? San Cristobal, Santo Domingo, Bani, Nizao?

Any thoughts as to which would be better - the metal or the cement? We will also be enclosing the terrazzo with decorative metal bars for security.

Thanks for any opinions

AE

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are near the ocean I would not go for a metal roof. I built a 9 meter diameter pavilion and used "zinc plastico" as they call it here. Same size sheets as the zinc plated metal used to cover houses here, but made of plastic instead. Framed it with pressure treated lumber and installed the plastic sheets. You might consider that option as well.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hmmmm... does cement cost more than metal, Criss? Why is cement better if near the ocean, windeguy?
We had a metal roof put on our 90 mtr house and plan to do the same for 50 sq mtr apartment we are building--- It is wonderful hearing the rain and not worrying about leaks...but I'm still considering all options!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm leaning towards cement, he's leaning towards metal. We ARE very close to the ocean. When he says metal, he doesn't mean zinc, he means something like this: Residential Metal Roofing The second type in the slide show is the one he's seen in DR.

Because this is such a large open area, he's afraid the maestro we use for our building/cement work will not know the proper specs of a large cement roof, so we'd have to hire an engineer for the design, plans and specifications.

Too bad Chip is so far from us, I'm sure he'd be able to do the job. What should it cost us to hire an engineer for this?? Anyone you would recommend in SD/San Cristobal area?

AE