Taxi from Santo Domingo Airport to Santiago downtown

French tourist

Nov 25, 2011
Hi all,
should I consider that option or just forget it? What would be the price of a one-way drive? and how long would it take?
If it's not a good idea, should I then take a bus from SD airport to the central bus station and then get a Metro/Caribe bus to Santiago? And here again, what would be the cost and time for this trip?
Add. info: it will be on a Sunday, Feb 12th.
Thanks a lot for your answers :eek:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Cost too much to take a taxi to Santiago.
Take a taxi from the SD airport,to the "Metro" bus station behind Plaza Lama.
The taxi is 1,000 to 1'500 pesos,depending on how good you speak "Dominican",and what time you arrive.
Make sure everyone has agreed on the same price,BEFORE you get into the cab.Write it on a piece of paper,and say ,"Si?"
The baggage carts where you pick up your bags are FREE,don't let ANYONE take your bags but you.
They will "smell" a tourist,and be on you like a cheap suit if you let them!
The Metro bus takes about 2 hours to Santiago,and costs only about 300 pesos.(Someone who takes this bus please say the exact price) The bus does not run late at night,what time will you arrrive?You may have to spend the night in SD,and get the bus early in the morning.
When you get to the bus station in Santiago,there are taxis,if you need one.Again,get the full price before you get in!Some drivers will put your bag/bags in the trunk,then say you owe 100 pesos for each bag!
Welcome,just be "Street Wise" when you get here!
Cris ColonCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Good answer from CC.

Normal price for taxi will be around 1200 to 1300 peso, if you come very late will they maybe charge you 1500 peso to a bus station in Santo Domingo .

I believe Caribe tour more often goes to Santiago, than Metro.
The Caribe bus that goes to Sosua, but always stop in Santiago, goes every hour from maybe 9. am to 7.pm. Maybe it is a 8.am bus and I believe 7.pm is the latest bus.
It cost around 320 peso from Santo Domingo to Sosua, so the price to Santiago is little cheaper.
I believe Caribe tour take around 2 1/2 hour to Santiago, can depend on how heavy the traffic is in Santo Domingo

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"METRO" is condidered a "higher class" bus line than "Caribe Tours".
"Just Sayin'
Dress warm,it's like a meat locker on both!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

French tourist

Nov 25, 2011
Thank you!

I'm impressed by the quality and precision of your answers. Very helpful indeed! Bravo!
I'm arriving around 2:00pm in Santo Domingo, so I guess it's not going to be difficult to catch a bus to Santiago.
Once again: tank you very much!
Best regards from Paris :classic:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't know why,or if you have been there before,but Santiago is the "Class" city/area of the DR!
WE are really fortunate have the "Ambasador" from Santiago on this website.
He has lived there for around 45 years!
Send him a "PM" with any of your questions about Santiago/the DR/Dominicans,then follow his advice.
His only "Agenda' HERE IS TO HELP AND IMFORM!
Cris Colon,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

szkandi

Nov 9, 2011
As I understood... from SDQ it takes approximately 1000-1500 pesos per one way to Santo Domingo. It's quite expensive, is there any another possibilities how to go there (bus, etc.?).

And what about price from SDQ to Boca Chica, please?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
B.oca Chica is close to the airport
Taxis will always be the more expensive way to travel.
They make it hard to get out of the airport,so you walk to the highway,or take a taxi.
If you are on that tight a budget,the DR may not be for you.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

szkandi

Nov 9, 2011
I'm just surprised :) Because, for example, the bus between SD <-> Samana costs RD$320 (Caribe Tours | Bienvenidos) and it's very good price for the long way. And taxi between SDQ and SD is much more expensive. Anyway, a public bus doesn't exist on this route?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Airport in Santo Domingo is almost an hour drive from the city center. That is worth 25-30 dollars anywhere in the freaking world, dude!! Come on, you have never been to NYC!@!

The bus ride Sto Dgo Santiago is closer to 370 pesos on Metro and slightly cheaper on Caribe Tours.

It would be good to know where you are going in Santiago, since Caribe Tour has two stops, one in one part of town and another in another part of town..And they are in distant parts of town.

For your general information: Our Glorious Government allows one group to dominate the taxi operations at the airport. In all airports at all nations around the globe, the transfers of passengers to the main cities is more expensive than public transportation...(Except in San Juan Puerto Rico where the city of San Juan has cheap bus service to the airport!!! Which I used to love when I was doing graduate studies at UPR!!! 25? to San Juan and 10? to my pensi?n!!)

In Santiago it costs around RD$500-RD$700 to go to the airport!

HB

szkandi

Nov 9, 2011
First of all, thank you for your answer ! We're not going to Santiago, we want to travel to Samana (Hotel Bed & Breakfast Las Galeras Samana - Sol Azul). Therefore I'm just asking how to do it :) Do you think, that we should go to highway from SDQ and try to find a cheaper taxi/or other transport, does it make sense or not at all, based on your experiences?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
First of all, thank you for your answer ! We're not going to Santiago, we want to travel to Samana (Hotel Bed & Breakfast Las Galeras Samana - Sol Azul). Therefore I'm just asking how to do it :) Do you think, that we should go to highway from SDQ and try to find a cheaper taxi/or other transport, does it make sense or not at all, based on your experiences?

REALLY???? You want to walk to the highway, and then pick up some public transport??? Its about a mile to walk to the highway, with all your luggage......are you looking to get robbed to save 10-20 dollars???? I guess your life is worth pennies.....
Take a taxi and take the worry out of the trip........

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are many airports in the DR.
Can you fly to an airport like Puerto Plata,or anything closer to your destination?
Santo Domingo is about as far from your final destination as you can get!
If you used a travel agency,fire them!
CriS CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

szkandi

Nov 9, 2011
Well, we'll spend 2weeks in DR and we like travel... we don't want to spend several days in one hotel. We just want to (at least) visit Samana "island". That's the reason.

miggy99

May 4, 2011
I'm impressed by the quality and precision of your answers. Very helpful indeed! Bravo!
I'm arriving around 2:00pm in Santo Domingo, so I guess it's not going to be difficult to catch a bus to Santiago.
Once again: tank you very much!
Best regards from Paris :classic:
French tourist --go to the bus sites both are online--caribe and metro bus schedules are posted and easy to read--these bus companies are on time almost always--I personally rode Metro to sosua---they have less stops and dress warm the a/c is nice and cold and its a really nice bus--you would enjoy the ride takes you through the heart of the DR---Enjoy its the best way to go