New to the area of Bani and Santo Domingo

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Hi ,
I have recently moved to Bani, which is about 20 minutes drive from Santo Domingo, is there a place where expats meet for a drink and some good conversation in either of these towns please? I would love to make some new friends!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Welcome to Bani. If you can make it to Santo Domingo from Bani in 20 minutes, then you are the driver of the jeepeta who damn near ran me off the road yesterday.

There are so few expats here that we do not have a hangout. The few places where you will find the occasional peace corps student or temporary worker having a craving for anything familiarly American is Pala Pizza located in the Centro across from the park (more or less across the street from the cathedral). The sell beer there.

A good place to simply hang out and enjoy coffee and pastry (more European than American, in my humble opinion) is Santia's, on Duarte Street a block south of the central park.

If you are looking for a decent hamburger in town, you are out of luck. A few places offer hamburgers on the menu, but you will be disappointed. At least Daneris market has upgraded and now has a few higher end cheeses and an okay selection of wine.

And just so you know: in Bani, expats are presumed to be involved in drug trafficking, so be prepared for an initial bit of hesitation as you meet local folks. But once they get accustomed to seeing us out and about, they warm up to us quickly.

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
lol my judgement of distance and time is obviously poor, no it was not me that nearly ran you off the road!
My partner is from Santo Domingo, and we decided to live in Bani, we have just published the 1st issue of our magazine & subscriptions club "Bani City". NO we are definitely not drug trafficers. Thanks for your tips, I know some of these places, but have been here 4 months and not seen or met 1 gringo, I am ashamed to say my spanish is poor,so it is difficult for me, would love to have a gringo friend to meet up and have a coffee once in a while,my friends are nearer to the North Coast

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If it's coffee, then you'll want to meet at Santia's.

Welcome to the south. I'm tied up the next couple of days. I'll send you a p.m. so we can at least meet in person and I can give you a few tips on the city.