Please help with ideas to fill the suitcases with Christmas gifts.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Making a short USA trip before Christmas and will have some room in suitcases coming back.

I have heard many times to bring schools supplies. OK, but what, specifically, is needed?

And what else is inexpensive in the USA, not too heavy or bulky, but would be something a Dominican child would like to have? Or perhaps better, something they need that is expensive here?

And what for an adult Dominican?

Thanks in advance. Have 2 free bags allowance and no reason to waste that!

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The kids usually ask me for the crayons, coloring books, colored pencils, markers. I usually buy a bunch of those $1 mini flash lights so the kids do not keep on dropping the cell phone in the toilet when there is no power ( the new cheapie cells have a flashlight in them ). For the adults: Condoms. Most can not afford the kids they have now.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
The kids usually ask me for the crayons, coloring books, colored pencils, markers. I usually buy a bunch of those $1 mini flash lights so the kids do not keep on dropping the cell phone in the toilet when there is no power ( the new cheapie cells have a flashlight in them ). For the adults: Condoms. Most can not afford the kids they have now.

Thank you! Exactly the kind of guidance I need. Do they need storybooks? They are so inexpensive this time of year and I believe I can get them in Spanish as well as English.

I would never have thought of the cheap flashlights. Or the condoms......but does one just give condoms to your maid? That would be considered an inappropriate gift in the USA; but perhaps just fine here.....???? But I can certainly buy some and donate to someone here to hand out; is that what you mean?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans don't use condoms by CHOICE,Not because condoms are not available.
They are free in las cabanas!
Having a lot of kids,is a "Macho" status symbol!
It's the men's fault!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I like to get toothbrushes and toothpaste from the dollar store. Some of the packs come with 2 or 3 toothbrushes, for families with more than one child. Also they have like Spiderman, Hello Kitty, the Incredible Hulk, and other character toothbrushes. Just be aware that in some places you may be given the stink face for bringing AIM toothpaste when they expect COLGATE. Just don't even give them a chance to say anything. You are doing a good thing, go away with a good feeling.

SHALENA

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Condoms are $400pesos for 100, you will do well to get them cheaper than that in the US. I can buy crayons cheaper in the DR than in Europe. I find cheapo gadgets easier to get hold of in DR, they love cheap junk so I am not sure they need more.
I like people to bring us early learning books, anything educational is expensive, pens pencils and blank text books are cheap as chips and so I don't know why people bother with those things.
Nicotine patches, gum, plastic cigarets are all free in UK and so I load up with that stuff, not sure if it is free in US.
Can openers are expensive for good quality, I think the only can opener that has lasted us longer than a week cost us RD750, and that only made it to 3 weeks.
$1-2 digital watches are good as loads of Doms can not read 24 hour clocks. They should learn.
Tigre balm is expensive, if you can pick that up at $1 then that goes down well with women, why they put it on their lips I'm unsure but they seem to like it.

Also remember that Judy with the dogs in Sosua is always looking for donations of medical stuff to help with the work they do for the stray dogs. If you can bring anything they need that would go down a real treat, all the stuff they really need is listed on the website.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I agree about not bringing cheap junk too!
My husband nixed the condoms anyway.

But on my list so far is:
coloring books & colored pencils
inexpensive (but decent) tiny flashlights
toothbrushes/paste
Educational books, reading books, elementary level, in Spanish. Any need for some in English??
Tigre balm; have no clue what it is, but will look at the SuperMercado before I leave to check it out.

Any more suggestions anyone?

May 29, 2006
Kids shoes, used or new are especially wanted along with socks. Hair accessories are good for the girls. Forget getting anything for the adults. Get them something for their kids and they will be even happier. Baseballs are good too. There are plenty of cheap plastic toys around but quality toys are hard to come by.

As for school supplies, chalk is good, both for the blackboards and the sidewalk. I like to bring composition books because they don't fall apart in the damp like other paper. Fancy sparkly pencils have been a big hit, but they won't last long.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Kids shoes, used or new are especially wanted along with socks. Hair accessories are good for the girls. Forget getting anything for the adults. Get them something for their kids and they will be even happier. Baseballs are good too. There are plenty of cheap plastic toys around but quality toys are hard to come by.

As for school supplies, chalk is good, both for the blackboards and the sidewalk. I like to bring composition books because they don't fall apart in the damp like other paper. Fancy sparkly pencils have been a big hit, but they won't last long.

Love the chalk idea! One of my favorite things as a child!
Hair accessories...yeah, they use a lot of those and it's one size fits all; great idea.
And how could I have not thought of baseballs?! And a glove.
Probably need bats also. Now we are getting heavier, but maybe a metal one. Checked luggage only!!!

May 29, 2006
Bats aren't cheap anymore, and the last time I tried to bring one in it disappeared before I got to customs.

Another thing would be those $1 tap lights that run on batteries. Batteries are expensive but it would be esp good for rural areas.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yes, bring educational books in English, if you can get hold of cheap dictionaries then that would go down a treat, my daughters friends sit and look up translations all evening, come to think of it I need to find some more for myself, rarely do they make it back once they get them out of the garden.
I still see no point in bringing things in luggage you can get cheaper here, is a waste of allowance. Bballs are 100pesos, pencils 15pesos for a pack of 10 colours etc. If you have loads of allowance great but...................
Hair tatt is more cheap in DR.
Just a thought, seems a shame to waste the allowance and cost you more in the same time.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Yes, bring educational books in English, if you can get hold of cheap dictionaries then that would go down a treat, my daughters friends sit and look up translations all evening, come to think of it I need to find some more for myself, rarely do they make it back once they get them out of the garden.
I still see no point in bringing things in luggage you can get cheaper here, is a waste of allowance. Bballs are 100pesos, pencils 15pesos for a pack of 10 colours etc. If you have loads of allowance great but...................
Hair tatt is more cheap in DR.
Just a thought, seems a shame to waste the allowance and cost you more in the same time.

The dictionary idea is outstanding. I know they are very hard to find here, having looked for same myself.

And I agree there is little point in purchasing things and dragging them back when they are the same $$ or less(!) here.

But I might bring some "special" colored pencils, quality ones for a gift. The cheapo ones are all I have seen here.

The hair accessories I will skip then, unless I see something very special. I have short hair, so never noticed, thanks. But how about ribbons? Is nice ribbon also cheap here? I could get large roll or so of quality ribbon for hair.

Shoes for kids.....Crocs seem perfect.....but do the kids like them here?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008

about the kids shoes and socks:
For boys:socks meaning white tube socks or white crew socks? Or more like black crew socks?
For girls: the little socks they wear with dress shoes? or something else

Shoes:
Crocs seem perfect, but do the kids want those?
Otherwise, what kind of shoes would they wear with the socks? Athletic shoes?
Flip-flops are readily available and cheap here; I might just buy some here if that's what you are thinking when you recommend shoes.....it's what I end up wearing most of the time actually.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Filling the suitcase as we speak...I bought notebooks for school, pens, pencils, markers. I bought some cheap calculators for some friends who own colmados. Batteries and I found some candles that run on batteries. Bath and Body Works had some good sales and I had some coupons (mom did) so I bought body sprays and cream. Old Navy had a good sale on flip flops, $2.00 so I bought some of those. On AA I will be allowed 3 suitcases for first/business class so I bought a bit more than usual. Of course bringing Christmas candy. Found some Nike T-Shirts on clearance for $3.00 at Penneys.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Filling the suitcase as we speak...I bought notebooks for school, pens, pencils, markers. I bought some cheap calculators for some friends who own colmados. Batteries and I found some candles that run on batteries. Bath and Body Works had some good sales and I had some coupons (mom did) so I bought body sprays and cream. Old Navy had a good sale on flip flops, $2.00 so I bought some of those. On AA I will be allowed 3 suitcases for first/business class so I bought a bit more than usual. Of course bringing Christmas candy. Found some Nike T-Shirts on clearance for $3.00 at
Penneys.

Candy? So Dominicans like candy? Not much for sale here so I didn't think of it. What kinds of candy or does it matter? Chocolate would be a bad idea as long trip for us, but nice hard candy. Or gum?

Lotions & body spray r expensive here too. And not so wonderful in my limited local purchasing. Might be nice for Dominican friends.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Hard candy such as Werthers etc is very good. I do find most of my Dominican friends like the sprays and lotions. Even better when I find them on sale. Are these for gifts? Maybe easier to guide you if we knew what the items were for. Example is I bring things for the people I would normally bring for and then just some other items to have on hand in case I need a gift here and there.

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
acrylic paints for art work are very expesive here, charcoal ,canvas, drawing paper for charcoal, Ben Ten toys I wish you lived near me PG Tips teabags lol

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
acrylic paints for art work are very expesive here, charcoal ,canvas, drawing paper for charcoal, Ben Ten toys I wish you lived near me PG Tips teabags lol

Been busy traveling so just got back to this. In USA now so shopping. PG Tips I saw at City Market in Sosua about 2 weeks ago!

What are Ben Ten toys?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Sorry been traveling.....These are things to give away. Mostly thinking of Dominican kids that don't have much. I have been told that school supplies are a hardship to afford. I was trying to get the most bang for my buck by buying what is needed and wanted, difficult to get in DR and/or much more expensive in the DR. Also thinking of some of the Dominican adults for Christmas gifts.

I will be here about a week, so if anyone has any more suggestions, please post them. OBTW, very difficult to find childrens' books in Spanish.....looking everywhere with no luck. And all the educational toys are only in English. Never had occasion to notice that before....