Neptune (VANISHED) statue off the malecon Puerto Plata.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I just noticed that Neptune the bronze statue that stood on the little Island off the Malecon Puerto Plata is missing. He stood there for years with his erect sword and missing shield protruding. Anyone know what has happened to my old friend?

Neptune.jpg

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Well I just came across this.

20-6_neptunes.jpg

Sos?a-News

20 juni 2009

Statue of Neptune waiting to be restored
Around a year ago the bronze statue of Neptune, normally seen just off the coast along the Malec?n in Puerto Plata, was stolen by thieves to sell as scrap metal. Luckily the police responded quickly and arrested the thieves soon thereafter. Local residents were impressed with the fast action by the police, because the statue is seen as the symbol of the harbour town.
Now, one year later, the pieces of the statue are still lying in the garden behind the police station, and there are no signs of the statue being repaired and returned to its normal location. Neptune fans in Puerto Plata have set up a committee to have the statue returned to its former glory.

They have sent the vice-secretary for tourism, C?sar Jos? de los Santos, a petition demanding that this famous statue, which is a proven tourist attraction, be returned to its former glory as soon as possible.