Dominican professionalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Some of youse out there might think these two words don't go together and in the beginning I had my doubts but believe it or not professionalism is alive and well here in the DR. I have witnessed this in the areas of medicine, dentistry, engineering, computer technicians and other professions as well, including business management. In other words, they teach solid mechanics of trades here in at least some of the universities.

Of course, I think it goes without saying that those who have little formal education would basically do the expedient thing to make their business work, like the corner moto mechanics. Then again there are highly trained mechanics that know how to work on autos like Ferrari's and Porsche. Truth be told there may not be a lot of them - but they are here. :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominican Republic produces some of the best"Professionals" in the World!!!
And, they charge very little for their services,compared to what you would have to pay in more "Developed countries.
Many Dominican "Pros" have actually gone "abroad" to work.They work for less than the local "Pros",and most say they give you a lot more for your money!
The DR ranks right behind Brazil,Thailand,and the Philipines in number of "Professionals" working abroad! Quite impressive for such a small country!
Chip is wrong when he says that there are "few" of them.I have NEVER had a problem finding a "Pro" when I needed one,or two,or three,or even MORE.Sometimes getting a group of Dominican Pros together is a great idea,like when I want to have a "Focus"group!
We all know that Chip thinks that absolutely EVERYTHING is better in the DR,but I didn't know he had so much knowledge about Dominican "PROS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Some examples might help, or it's nothing but a "fluff" thread.

Cmon, Robert, while I expect an answer like this from the typical expat who thinks everything one needs to know about the DR they can learn from a local bar or bordello but you should know better, ie, you yourself have talked the good medical and dental care here. Maybe you don't realize it but the building you live in with water and yes electrical service and the roads you drive on and the superstore you buy your goods at are all good examples of Dominican professionalism.

Certainly there should be more examples of it but this is a poor country. People shouldn't think just because we have idiot and greedy politicians with a third grade education that everything Dominican is backwards.

Finally, I thought the same in the beginning but starting a business here and going to graduate school have given me a different perspective, ie what is taught from what I've seen is the same thing taught in universities in developed countries. Also, the building plans I've seen are the equal of anything I've seen in the states with all the required peripheral calcs.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most large construction project are designed,and engineered by non-dominican companies!!
Want to know which ones?
Wait for the earthquake,anything still standing was,"NON-DOMINICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Not ONLY,was the OP "FLUFF",it was,"MARSHMELLO FLUFF"!
Chip,you are in "Graduate School"here in the DR??????????????????????????????????????????????
How many "excuses" do you need to keep posting THAT???????????????????????????????????????
"Graduate School" in the DR means,if you can pay the tuition,you GRADUATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.."NOT IMPRESSED"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
CCCCCCC we have to meet some time I have been told a lot about u we have a muchel friend . the last time I was with him in SD you were in the US. his little place is gone now but he still ownes a appt there . but i spend most of my time in santiago watching the agleas baseball games.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
you should know better, ie, you yourself have talked the good medical and dental care here.

Yes, and I post details of these businesses.

I have never denied the DR has some very professional and world class tradespeople and businesses, when I find them or get a solid recommendation, I post here about them.

Unfortunately your post is the equivalent of saying. I know a great place that makes burgers.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
You were very articulate in expressing your view, except for the word "youse". There is no such word. The plural use in this case is simply, you. Some people will use the word "youse" i.e. youse guys but I believe you have to be Italian and from Brooklyn NYC for it to be acceptable.

S

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hi:
You were very articulate in expressing your view, except for the word "youse". There is no such word. The plural use in this case is simply, you. Some people will use the word "youse" i.e. youse guys but I believe you have to be Italian and from Brooklyn NYC for it to be acceptable.

S

Thanks for the very informative post. Please post any other revelatory information as it somehow makes into that coco of yours. :)

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Here's the truth - a nation, group, area, is judged not by the quality of professionalism of *SOME* of it's people, but by the quality of professionalism of the *AVERAGE* person.

Is Santo Domingo Este a rich area? - well there are some rich elite that live there and have huge houses, but on average most people don't have consistant water electricity or services and there's lots of crime. So no, on average it's a 'bad' area.

Are German auto engineers good? Well there are some that are AWESOME, but on average considering an engineer in Germany has to study for 6-7 years and they make the standards really difficult to pass, the 'average' German car engineer is really good.

Capiche?

So true, Dr. Fulanito de Tale in Santiago may be an exceptional dentist, but the AVERAGE dentist in this country went to UASD and will pull out a hammer if the tooth isn't wiggling properly....

Same goes for the attention to detail of all the average tradespeople, bankers, professionals, doctors etc that I've encountered here... the average is pretty bad.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here's the truth - a nation, group, area, is judged not by the quality of professionalism of *SOME* of it's people, but by the quality of professionalism of the *AVERAGE* person.

Is Santo Domingo Este a rich area? - well there are some rich elite that live there and have huge houses, but on average most people don't have consistant water electricity or services and there's lots of crime. So no, on average it's a 'bad' area.

Are German auto engineers good? Well there are some that are AWESOME, but on average considering an engineer in Germany has to study for 6-7 years and they make the standards really difficult to pass, the 'average' German car engineer is really good.

Capiche?

So true, Dr. Fulanito de Tale in Santiago may be an exceptional dentist, but the AVERAGE dentist in this country went to UASD and will pull out a hammer if the tooth isn't wiggling properly....

Same goes for the attention to detail of all the average tradespeople, bankers, professionals, doctors etc that I've encountered here... the average is pretty bad.

Well I'm still waiting for you to tell me something I don't know or maybe you missed my comment:

"Certainly there should be more examples of it but this is a poor country"

Ya entendiste?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Well I'm still waiting for you to tell me something I don't know or maybe you missed my comment:

"Certainly there should be more examples of it but this is a poor country"

Ya entendiste?

kimbjorkland post made a lot more sense than your original post.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me something that makes sense :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
have you noticed how it's always sunny in DR? it never rains and when it does the dominican republic makes sure no one is actually outside so they do not get wet. while you are walking on sunshine you see happy, well nourished, intelligent locals who absolutely never would great you with words: "my frend, come to my eshop, frend".
restaurants are clean and the food is prepared to the highest santary standards and while waiting for your meal you can refresh in a perfectly functional bathroom where all toilets have toilets seat, there is hot water in the faucet, TP and soap.
if you happen to have some mild digestive problem, caused by your genetical weakness, of course, not by the food itslef you can direct your spring steps to the nearest public hospital filled with highly trained medical professionals who will be happy to serve you high end medicine at no cost while you stay in a pristine private suite with a marble bathroom fittings.
certainly there are more examples of the happy, safe fulfilling life you can lead here but this is a poor country.

Status
Not open for further replies.