Before I posted I read the Threads on Magic Jack/internet/phone/Cable.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Before I posted I scoured the Threads on Magic Jack. I also read somewhere your Internet Provider can block Magicjack is this true or is it an issue? And how is it working for you in the PC area, or is there a better alternative?

Lastly if one is to get a land line(phone) with Internet plus VIP cable(business channels like Bloomberg and CNBC) roughly what is the monthly fee for best?
Basically what is the BEST SERVIVE for all three, phone/internet/VIP cable..
I wouldn't ask if I could find this info on the providers websites. All for the Macao area of PC.
Thanks...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How can an ISP block a VOIP phone? It shows up as a device on a local network and unless being used 24/7/365 for data transfer doesn't use that much bandwidth. They can block an IP, like a torrent site. But a local network device? I'm doubting it...

I use NetTALK Duo with Codetel with great success...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I've never had an issue with Magic Jack, but I'm not in PC, I'm central. The line is clear and as far as I understand the only issue with blocking the device would be MJ if you were fleecing it 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. Even then I understand you can upgrade for about $70 to avoid these hogging issues.
As a professional bit of kit there is newer better options (but still I don't see why not, the line is good with it IMO), but for domestic and casual use it is cool for a one off free phone option to the US.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have the older version of Magic Jack and it works well on the North Coast. If I were looking today I would look at Net Talk Duo and the new version of Magic Jack that works similarly to Net Talk Duo in that it does not require a computer.

As a temporary or alternate solution you could also try Google Talk/Google Voice

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am using MJ in the Punta Cana area with Claro and it works as good as my landlone phone. As for your question about combo internet, cable, and phone I recommend Claro for that. You can check in the main office in Veron for the price of the service that you want. I have 1.5 down and get 2.3 or better most of the time. I pay 3200rd per month all tax included. (2 TV's, one is less).

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I have the older version of Magic Jack and it works well on the North Coast. If I were looking today I would look at Net Talk Duo and the new version of Magic Jack that works similarly to Net Talk Duo in that it does not require a computer.

You know anyone using the new MJ? I'm interested in the computer free option and would like to know more.