Travelling around the dr

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
is it possible to go aound the D R using guaguas? I arrive Santiago and will go to Santo Domingo. From there after a few days I want to go to Punta Cana, then to Samana , Samana to San Francisco de marcoris , up to Puerto Plata and then back down to Santiago via Monte Cristi....I don t want to drive.. I want to use local transport, but see caribe don t really cover the route i want...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You can do it easily coach, you might need to jump coaches a couple of times but in general the service is pretty good in DR

Aug 19, 2004
Where ever possible I would use services such as Caribe Tours and then guaguas for local trips at the places you stay. Sitting on a guagua from say Barahona to Santo Domingo, when you could have waited an hour and got there quicker by Caribe Tours, is an ordeal rather than an experience!

IMO to see the country I would miss out Punta Cana and go to the South West (Caribe Tours have buses to San Juan de Maguana and Baranhona). You could mix this trip with guaguas and get down to Pedenales or Elias Pena.

Feb 7, 2007
I can help you on the first part of your trip:

Santo Domingo to Punta Cana - Expreso Bavaro (similar to Caribe Tours) or APTRA to Higuey (Similar to Caribe Tours) and Sitrabapu to Punta Cana (take the express bus, similar to Caribe Tours).
Expreso Bavaro leaves from Maximo Gomez, APTRA from Parque Enriquillo. Search the board for more details.

Punta Cana to Samana - Sitrabapu to Higuey, Expreso Hato Mayor to Hato Mayor (large comfortable buses, leave every 2 hours). From Hato Mayor take local bus to Sabana de la Mar, from SdM to Samana take the ferry (passenger only).
Sitrabapu leaves from Av.Libertad in fornt of Shell gas station (Aptra drops incoming passengers there). Expreso Hato Mayor leaves from Carr. Mella in front of Basilica,

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I have to agree with London, I don't see much point in heading to Punta Cana are unless you have friends to visit or are going all inclusive for a lazy break.

Feb 7, 2007
You can make this more interesting. Get to La Romana and make it your home base for two or three days. First day, take a local guagua and trek back towards San Pedro and go to Cueva de la Maravilla (Cave of wonders). Next day, do a day trip to Isla Saona. Next day, just spend nice lazy afternoon in Bayahibe. You can also see if you can get admitted into Altos de Chavon. (Going outside of organized group, you may need to get advance permit through the Casa de Campo website).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
whole of DR can be travelled in a guagua but bear in mind it will be no fun if you have lots of luggage, especially suitcases. easier with a backpack :)
i personally think of my guagua trips as of cool adventures rather than ordeal. i once travelled standing on the step, head inside, antihead outside :)

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Your island trip/experience can be done via guagua but like some posters advise it is easier to travel light with a backpack [or a small suitcase], in any case great post by rubio_higuey with the bus routes. I also like his suggestion to make La Romana your starting point! :) It's actually not a bad idea as guaguas can take you pretty much anywhere from there and you have good options! I personally vote for Samana over Punta Cana but that's just me.
Best wishes in your travels!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I concur with the idea of skipping the RIE (which is the Rep?blica Independiente del Este. RIE= Laugh!) unless you need a day or two of luxury. There is nothing to see out there but water and sand. Unless, just unless you have a date to go fishing with Mike Fisher in his boat!
The buses suggested by Rubio are great info, as well as the suggestion that you go to Barahona and San Juan.

It is all available....by bus...

HB