Best Place to Live with Kids?

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Hi everyone.. been here for about 9 months living in Barahona. I absolutely love Barahona but only because it was the first place I came to 21 years ago as a visitor. I married someone from Barahona and after 14 years in the states we divorced.. I came back so my kids could be around their family, get to know the culture, and learn spanish. I figured I'd stay a year, but my vision is changing.. lol..

I would like to stay in the country at least another year. I homeschool my kids so schooling isn't an issue, but I want to leave Barahona. I've been told how "awful" the crime in Barahona is, and have been through it. I had a beautiful home, in which intruders quietly picked away at my block wall that was around the home. While away, they thought nobody was in the house, and they tried to break in and killed my guard dog. (Gun).. I moved immediately from that house and feel "safe" in my new home, and don't see that being an issue again as I'm around more people and before I was quite secluded. But this isn't the life I want for my kids. I want to move to a campo, in which everyone knows everyone and the kids can safely play outside. We had that the first 5 months here as we lived with my ex in-laws, and my kids ran all over the place with about 100 kids. They played jumprope, double dutch, jax, and made their own games up. It was the childhood I wanted for the kids. I am sure there are other campos that exist like this one, but I am looking for recommendations.

Looking for a campo that will welcome the American family in and guard them like their own.. (I guess since we "were" their own in my previous set-up, I might not find this anywhere?) I am hoping I am wrong..

I just feel the need to leave Barahona even though I totally love the people here.. I was well warned before I came here, but figuring the amount of people I know here in the 21 years I've been coming here would keep me safe.. Silly me..

Would love recommendations.. I truly love this country..

Nov 25, 2008
I think you need to get away from your ex and start your life, Santiago is a quaint town, if your looking for security from the locals then its just a coin toss; their are always bad apples who would love to take advantage of a female, divorced, with kids.....foreigner

Feb 7, 2007
I would look into Cibao. If I could freely elect where I would live in the DR (e.g. not being tied by work or other considerations) it would be Cibao. Look into Santiago, and if not ST, then possibly La Vega. I consider la Vega a great city, it's clean, it's quiet (but has some nightlife), crime is not that bad, and it's close to Santiago, less than 90 minutes to Santo Domingo, and close to Jarabacoa (yes, the mountains). It has advantages of a city and closeness of campo and nature. There are many nice places around the town like rivers, etc. to spend some good family time on Sundays.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
OH yOU NEED TO COME TO CABRERA! There are so many great schools here (I recommend the Esperanza Project) and it's full of wonderful, fun-loving and good people...tons of fellow expats and beautiful scenery, as well as minutes away from some sepectacular beaches. I'm madly, head over heels in love with this place and it's residents. Oh, and I have a 6 year old daughter who's just as nuts about it as me! :) PM me if you have any questions! :)

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i agree, cabrera is an excellent place to raise kids. if i could transfer my job there somehow, we'd relocate. (a definite possibility in the future)
and the esperanza project - yes! and a few other educational opportunities as well (even the public schools don't seem as bad as in other parts of the country!)

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
You should consider el Cibao. I spent most of my vacations and summers in Moca, Salcedo, Vlla Trina and vicinity.
I made life long friends and today our children are also friends. We visit several times a year for a change of pace and my kids have learned to respect and appreciate cultural differences and diversity. They get to practice their spanish. They play with friends, bathe in the river, chase chicken and get wet in the rain. Nothing but good times and good memories for them.