Building an Inexpensive APARTMENT --3 questions

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
After studying Chip's excellent original thread on homebuilding the DR way and following his advice and that of JaguarBob and Bob in Jarabacoa, I'm now building a 2 story studio apartment (first floor will just be open garage for now) :)

I have an outstanding maestro and the second floor was poured a couple days ago-- I was going to send the following 3 questions privately to the two Bob's; however...I would welcome any and all advice from those of you who have "been there---done that!" -

1. What building mistakes did you make that you would warn a first-time builder not to repeat?
2. Any leads on where we can buy louvered glass windows and sliding glass doors?
3. JagBob: We're paying $323/bag for cement (in Las Terrenas) and you said you paid $250-- Where and when did you pay those prices and can we also buy from that supplier?

Muchas, muchas gracias for your time!:bunny:
Susan

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
As someone that is currently building here are some warnings....

What building mistakes did you make that you would warn a first-time builder not to repeat?

1- i wouldn't say this was a mistake, but rather overlooked. Make sure you that you are familiar with local laws specially Pension and Workers Insurance Security. During construction is Santiago we were visited by an inspector. They asked for proof of payment to the workers pension and proof of payment for Workers Insurance Security. We had neither. In the end I wound up paying over $60KRD, which I really never considered in the budget. Just my 2 cents hope that helps.

2- Shop around for materials. While looking for baneras we found that a ferreteria La Fuente had a Jacuzzi tub for almost $10K cheaper.

3 - Always add about 5% extra to your original budget due to unexpected problems or price increases.

4 - Invest in high ceilings. Think about it: if you invest in cheaper windows, later on you can always replace them for more expensive windows. However, you can't simply extend the height of your ceiling.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The inspector thingy is just a ploy they have to extract money from you. Let your Maestro deal with this. You shouldn't pay much if anything at all.

The one mistake I made was to trust the plumber was doing a good job and not test everything (water pressure, leaks, etc) BEFORE they start the finishing touches. This has cost me a lot of money and headaches to fix afterwards. Also make sure everything is leveled to drain properly, it's properly sloped (i.e. Window Sills). Make sure you have enough columns and "vigas de amarre" to properly support your structure. These are things that would cost a lot to fix later if not done right the first time. Overspend on Varilla if you have to.

I agree with high ceiling comment.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Louvered windows and sliding glass doors can be easy to break into.
Flat roofs usually leak. Materials prices are always climbing.

Last edited:

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
PLUMBING !!!!!.
Pressure check (24hrs Minimum) all of your incoming water lines before you pour any concrete or get your walls up !!!.
Drainage levels & evacuation lines are as important !, pour buckets of water down every evacuation and make sure it comes out where it is suppose to.

BE ON SITE EVERY DAY, THREE TIMES A DAY MINIMUM !
Good Luck !

P.S. "INDUCA" in Santo Domingo for doors and windows, very expensive but well worth it in the long run.

Last edited:

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
As someone that is currently building here are some warnings....

What building mistakes did you make that you would warn a first-time builder not to repeat?

1- i wouldn't say this was a mistake, but rather overlooked. Make sure you that you are familiar with local laws specially Pension and Workers Insurance Security. During construction is Santiago we were visited by an inspector. They asked for proof of payment to the workers pension and proof of payment for Workers Insurance Security. We had neither. In the end I wound up paying over $60KRD, which I really never considered in the budget. Just my 2 cents hope that helps.

2- Shop around for materials. While looking for baneras we found that a ferreteria La Fuente had a Jacuzzi tub for almost $10K cheaper.

3 - Always add about 5% extra to your original budget due to unexpected problems or price increases.

4 - Invest in high ceilings. Think about it: if you invest in cheaper windows, later on you can always replace them for more expensive windows. However, you can't simply extend the height of your ceiling.

You paid way too much. As Suarezn said, this Social Security is just a way to get a little money out of you. Usually negotiated by the maestro for a very little money in return for the stamped formulario. Your maestro either does not know what he is doing or was a participant in this $60k sting. Either way, I would be very wary of your maestro in the future.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
PLUMBING !!!!!.
Pressure check (24hrs Minimum) all of your incoming water lines before you pour any concrete or get your walls up !!!.
Drainage levels & evacuation lines are as important !, pour buckets of water down every evacuation and make sure it comes out where it is suppose to.

BE ON SITE EVERY DAY, THREE TIMES A DAY MINIMUM !
Good Luck !

P.S. "INDUCA" in Santo Domingo for doors and windows, very expensive but well worth it in the long run.

I agree. INDUCA is expensive, but well worth it in the long run as they do service what they sell and they do have quality products. They have a small showroom in Santiago, btw, and will come to your jobsite for free measurements and quotes.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Induca showroom is in the shopping mall across the street from La Sirena on Bartolom? Col?n...on the sidestreet side.

High ceilings are a money saver in the long run since everything is cooler! And they are more elegant. You can buy used windows on Estrella Sadhal?, hummmm, let's see...uh, 1,2,3 yeah, three lights after you go past Hach?...just after you cross the little bridge. On the right hand side. These always need steel bars on the outside, since they are easy to break into with a pair of pliers.

Make sure the entire electrical system is grounded!!!

Agree with other comments, too.

HB

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Gracias mis amigos!

I've copied and pasted all of this excellent info onto a word doc and will take outside right now to share with my maestro--
PLEASE keep this valuable advice coming and I will post some pictures of our project (when/if I figure out how!:ermm:...
Susan

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
See your neighborhood if there is a source of noise, or loud music... If so, plan for soundproofing (at least a little bit...).

In Las Terrenas, if there is no noise today, there probably will be some tomorrow...

Watch out for those big openings to the west, as the afternoon sun can be a big nuisance...

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
The Induca showroom is in the shopping mall across the street from La Sirena on Bartolom? Col?n...on the sidestreet side.

High ceilings are a money saver in the long run since everything is cooler! And they are more elegant. You can buy used windows on Estrella Sadhal?, hummmm, let's see...uh, 1,2,3 yeah, three lights after you go past Hach?...just after you cross the little bridge. On the right hand side. These always need steel bars on the outside, since they are easy to break into with a pair of pliers.

Make sure the entire electrical system is grounded!!!

Agree with other comments, too.

HB

Actually HB, INDUCA recently moved from that plaza to a small store-front out on Carretera Don Pedro, on the south side of the street just before you reach the Colegio Leonardo Da Vinci. They have both window and door samples there but just a smaller variety in a smaller space.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, I did not know that!! Huh, I guess the rent was too much there??? Have to take a peek!

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You paid way too much. As Suarezn said, this Social Security is just a way to get a little money out of you. Usually negotiated by the maestro for a very little money in return for the stamped formulario. Your maestro either does not know what he is doing or was a participant in this $60k sting. Either way, I would be very wary of your maestro in the future.

Not true.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"TRUE", or not,I think you could have "bought,and paid for" that "inspector" for a lot less than 60 "thou"!!
I lived in my house for ten years without paying for electricity,well, unless you condider the cost of the"GREASE"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I'm surprised some of the DR1 Resident Engineers did not bring the following to your attention.

Look up the specs on concrete, see the link at the bottom of this post.

It is very important to keep the poured concrete moist at least for the first 7 days.

Once it dries inside the curing stops and thus the strength and waterproof of the concrete also basically stops.

Many "Maestro's" in the D.R. after pouring the roof, just walk away from the job for a week or two.

Big Mistake! The roof will leak! Lack of Professionalism.

Check this link: Concrete Curing Table

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
As an example of the strength of properly cured concrete:

I built a concrete "Speed Bump" in the road in front of my house.

I did halfway across the road way at a time and kept wet cardboard over the concrete for a week.

There is "NO" re-bar in the speed bump and it has been there for years without breaking.
Even with "Tanker" trucks driving over it to deliver water, even loaded dump trucks.

Don

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Not true.

Oh Chip, you sweet innocent boy!
Do you really believe that the inspector plans on paying that 60k into the Social Security and Pension funds for the workers on the job (especially the illegal Haitians)?
Do you really believe that the maestro and/or builder on the job had no idea of that the inspector would show up and charge Lisa (since she said she was not made aware of this in order to budget)?
Do you really believe that the inspectors "calculations" of $60k was normal?
Do you believe in the Easter bunny too?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Oh Chip, you sweet innocent boy!
Do you really believe that the inspector plans on paying that 60k into the Social Security and Pension funds for the workers on the job (especially the illegal Haitians)?
Do you really believe that the maestro and/or builder on the job had no idea of that the inspector would show up and charge Lisa (since she said she was not made aware of this in order to budget)?
Do you really believe that the inspectors "calculations" of $60k was normal?
Do you believe in the Easter bunny too?

That maestro is my business partner and the house in question is my project so I expect I should know.

The client decided early on to do everything legal and the Pension office and Seguro Social is apparently a hit and miss deal, ie they don't catch everybody but they caught us. Such is the DR. Still at the end of the day the house the client is receiving will be worth 6-6.5M and he's getting it done for RD4M or less.