Polution of Ocean and beaches a REAL Problem in Las Terrenas

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Well, this morning we had another hard rain and as usual the river the runs thru LT sent all of the garbage into the ocean and down the beaches. When are the municipal and tourist officials going to come up with a solution to this problem. Many nice projects have been completed in and around town, however are most important tourist asset is being neglected. Come on people get your head out of the sand and solve this.

S

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hope dies last.

Well, this morning we had another hard rain and as usual the river the runs thru LT sent all of the garbage into the ocean and down the beaches.
Not all the beaches. ;)
From where we live we can see that the current takes the brown river outflow to the west...
The now defunct "Cacao Beach Hotel" thus used to be called "Caca Beach Hotel".... :laugh:

When are the municipal and tourist officials going to come up with a solution to this problem. Many nice projects have been completed in and around town, however are most important tourist asset is being neglected. Come on people get your head out of the sand and solve this.

Take a stroll up the river.
I remember how the environment there was 18 years ago.
I can see how it is now.

Talk to Mr. Bourget, Delvis Santos, the Mayor... whomever...
I shall report to you from above* when a change takes place.

donP

*)
Most likely from Heaven or Hell.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It may not happen soon but it will happen at some point. Many things have changed in Las Terrenas in the last 5 years and I have no doubt that this problem will be dealt with also

S

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Have you tried taking pictures? Maybe sending them to the local officials or a news reporter. Perhaphs someone on DR1 knows someone...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Unless there is "MONEY" in the project for the "IR"-responsible official,"IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Caca Beach Hotel",now THAT'S FUNNY!
Kind of like."Sosewer".

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Have you tried taking pictures? Maybe sending them to the local officials or a news reporter. Perhaphs someone on DR1 knows someone...
It has been about 5 or 6 years that Herv? Brousset, the French guy who used to run Fort-Know in the Paseo, did just that: take photos of the garbage in the rio, send emails to the whole universe, talk to Delvis Santos, the sindico, the French Consul etc...
On the other hand, we had Jos? Bourget who published plenty blogposts and sent emails to the whole galaxy...
So far, no one raised a finger, except for a handfull of Europeans a couple of years ago who came to Ca?o Seco to pick up the trash under the eyes of locals who kept on loitering like there is no tomorrow...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It,s "Dominican,"LACK" of CULTURE" at work!
Yesterday at noon,following a new jepetta down 27 Feb.,in SD. The driver,began to throw his trash out his window into the street.Went on for "blocks"!
And nobody cares!
"Oh!,get THIS!
Yesterday we got a bill for municipal garbage pick-up at my house in Arroyo Hondo,SD.
It was for 44,000 pesos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have live there for about 14 years.
I think that they have picked up my garbarge 4 times!
That comes to 11,000 per trip.
Sounds fair to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
driver was never taught not to litter, has never taught his kids so the cycle continues

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
CC you need to move to Jarabacoa - Garbage pickup every week- with out exception. We try to train the kids in school - seems like a lost cause.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Coincidence

CC you need to move to Jarabacoa - Garbage pickup every week- with out exception. We try to train the kids in school - seems like a lost cause.

Hmm, Jarabacoa... isn't this where Hip?lito Mej?a has his humble abode?

donP

May 29, 2006
Take away the plastic water and soda bottles, the foam coffee cups and the disposable shopping bags and my guess is you'd get rid of about half of the garbage on the island. I remember back in the day when all the sodas came in reusable glass bottles that were all alike and the way you could tell one flavor from another was by the different colored bottle caps(Royal Palm Soda, I think?).

In most states in the US, there is a 5 cent deposit on cans and bottles and as soon as you cross over into a state without it, you see the them all along the roadsides. Stores are selling cloth shopping bags for a buck a piece, and foam coffee cups are unpopular because they change the taste of coffee.(Except McD's and some other chains). The best deal is on the cheap IKEA bags they sell made out of blue tarp materials. Ireland now puts a 33 cent tax on disposable shopping bags while reusable cloth ones cost about a dollar.

Until there is an economic incentive for people to alter their behavior there isn't going to be any change. The deposit bottle industry feeds a lot of homeless folks in the US along with paying for their drug habits. Kind of crazy that some folks make as much as $500/week doing it:

With Fewer Fraternity Parties,

Colin Geissler

Aug 22, 2011
Until there is an economic incentive for people to alter their behavior there isn't going to be any change.

In the case of litter and public awareness this is not true. In the United States it was a 40+ year public education campaign called "Keep America Beautiful" which provided no financial incentives to citizens but had a major impact on how Americans act. I agree that returnable beverage programs and recycling efforts are also important but some people believe it was the "crying indian" campaign launched on the first Earth Day in the 1970's that was a turning point.

Canada had a similar program called "Pitch in" which launched it's national campaign in the late 1980's (but started up in the late-60's). It is a volunteer organization and a non-profit charity. PITCH-IN CANADA - Litter control, recycling, reduce, reuse, beautification