Advice on furnishing a condo

CKT

Nov 17, 2011
We are purchasing a condo in the Bavaro area and need to get it furnished. We have a quote from the builder for over $20,000 (complete with appliances, a/c units, furniture, etc.). This seems like a lot of money for the items we would be getting. I have not done any furniture shopping, so it is hard for me to tell if this is way out of line or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Is it just me or is it not odd to have a builder buy the furnishings for your home? It's a bit like going to a butchers to buy your meat.
You can furnish a home for whatever you like, how much you spend is your decision. I know I would not put my trust in someone else (least of all a builder), half of the fun of furnishing a home is getting out there, comparing prices, seeing what you can do with your budget.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't even consider that offer. You will be ripped off to no end with that. You can do it yourself at less money and get quality items. The builder will get the cheapest crap he can find to keep your cash.

Applicances go to Coripio in the San Juan Mall. For furniture I would go to Santo Domingo. Most places will deliver for free or a small fee. I would stay away from Illuminati in Punta Cana. They tried to rip me off once on a bedroom set. The price was clearly marked and they wanted 20,000rd more. The manager went along with it.

I am sure some of the people in the Capital can help you on where to buy.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I hope your condo is already built, otherwise, you may not have to buy any furniture. Hope this is not another dream and an pile of sand with promises and pretty drawings.

CKT

Nov 17, 2011
Thank you for the information. One thing that I should have mentioned is that this is a vacation home that we will be renting out some. If we lived there all the time or stayed for a long stretch I would say that we should/would do it ourselves for sure. With us just coming to visit for short periods (for now) I am not sure how much time it would take to get this thing furnished on our own or just how it would go. For instance does the appliance store have a/c units, and do they handle the installation, or just sell the product??

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
We are purchasing a condo in the Bavaro area and need to get it furnished. We have a quote from the builder for over $20,000 (complete with appliances, a/c units, furniture, etc.). This seems like a lot of money for the items we would be getting. I have not done any furniture shopping, so it is hard for me to tell if this is way out of line or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~When you say complete with appliances: What are they telling you is included? Stove, Refrig, washer and dryer? Toasters, Microwave, blenders?? Do you need to purchase starter silverware, cups, bowls and the like to start up a kitchen or is this included?
~Furniture: One bedroom? Two bedroom? Three Bedroom?Headboards? Mirrors? Ceiling Fans?

What I should say is exactly what are you getting for the $20K and I assume that's US Dollar!!!...lol...if RD$ take it and runnnnnnnnn forest runnnnnnnnn!!!

I may be able to help assist you in the right direction, however need clarification of what you are getting for the $20K:nervous::nervous:

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Don't even consider that offer. You will be ripped off to no end with that. You can do it yourself at less money and get quality items. The builder will get the cheapest crap he can find to keep your cash.

Applicances go to Coripio in the San Juan Mall. For furniture I would go to Santo Domingo. Most places will deliver for free or a small fee. I would stay away from Illuminati in Punta Cana. They tried to rip me off once on a bedroom set. The price was clearly marked and they wanted 20,000rd more. The manager went along with it.

I am sure some of the people in the Capital can help you on where to buy.

Lol. Ilumel is now the Illuminati. Good one.

May 5, 2007
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Givadogahome
It's a bit like going to a butchers to buy your meat.

I never thought that to be odd.

I'm still confused about that one?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have friends, two gentlemen,who bought a big new house in Juan Dolio.
I saw it empty.The next time I saw it,it was totally furnished,wall mounted huge TVs,stainless kitchen appliances,and had split airconditioning units in almost every room.
They got it all,with one trip to "CONFORAMA",(27 Feb.SD) including delivery and instalation.
Talking really beautiful furniture.
Too bad about a year later,one of the guys dropped dead of a heart attack,and the other got married.
I soooooooooooooooooo envy one of them!
cris colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I have friends, two gentlemen,who bought a big new house in Juan Dolio.
I saw it empty.The next time I saw it,it was totally furnished,wall mounted huge TVs,stainless kitchen appliances,and had split airconditioning units in almost every room.
They got it all,with one trip to "CONFORAMA",(27 Feb.SD) including delivery and instalation.
Talking really beautiful furniture.
Too bad about a year later,one of the guys dropped dead of a heart attack,and the other got married.
I soooooooooooooooooo envy one of them!
cris colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Come on CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC you are way too young to die

CKT

Nov 17, 2011
The bid was complete with 3-a/c units, furniture for living room, dining room, 2-bedrooms, 2-barstools, sm. table & chairs for balcony, silverware, dishes, all appliances (stove, frig., hood, microwave, coffee pot, washer/dryer, can opener), 1-tv, ceiling fans, linens for all areas, window treatments, etc. The unit is a 2 bedroom. Yes US dollars. They are providing decent stuff (Stainless appliances, etc.).

Thank you for your help. Chad.

I am thinking that the bid seems high, but I am comparing to numbers that we can buy for in the US. We need to get our unit furnished, but not sure the best way to get it done. We want it done right.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"No".
I hope this all works out well for you in the end!
Those of us who have the pleaser of living here for many years,can see the builder "licking his chops" over you.
I hope he didn't tell you that you can rent your condo when you are noot there,and make a lot of money!
Cap Cana,probably the largest developement in the Caribean,just went,"Belly Up"!
Please be very careful!
Hope you had a good lawyer do your property title search,and handle your closing?????????????????????????
Please say "YES"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
If you are not very familiar with the interiordesign, where to buy furniture, etc. your best choice is to accept the proposal of the constructor. If it is a complex with first class finishing (1500-1800dls/m2), normally they use an interior designer to decorate the units.
20k is a good price. believe me (I am in this business), you are going to spend much more than that. they get special rates for the amount of furniture they buy (you wont get those discount).
In Punta Cana most of these units are tastefully decorated with tropical designs.
Usually they have a fully furnished apartment, you just have to see it and know if its your style.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
OK... another opinion here. Like you, we bought our condo as a vacation home. We did have the builder furnish it, and to be honest I'm sure they made some profit, but overall I'm pretty happy with what we got. I did some causal shopping prior to the condo being completed, and also checked prices at IKEA for comparison, and found everything to be much more expensive than what I could have furnished a condo for here in the U.S. I know it was expensive, and we didn't get any bargains, but we did so with eyes open, willing to pay for the service of the builder doing the work and convenience of having only to turn the key and walk in. We'll add more over time, but it's well furnished, and adequately equipped as is.

If you PM me, you can tell me who your builder is, (might be the same as ours). I can also give you more info and link to see some pics of our place. will give you an idea of what you'll get if it's the same developer. Also.. on last trip there in Oct. met a couple who had their unit (in a different complex) furnished by a designer .. they said we got a great deal....

C.G.

Last edited: