Timeline for DR residency

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Hello all,

Does anyone got the residency recently? I want to know how long it takes now from the time of application. My lawyer told me it will take anything between 4 - 6 months. My application has been submitted in June and i do not hear anything as of now. My lawyer also do not know anything more.

I gave the medical on April first week and the results came on April third week and they received my application in June second week.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Yes the process is taking longer then usual. I made my application (perm residency) late january and it took 9months. And i had to pay an extra 300usd for VIP treatment. My lawyer says the immigration had a reshuffle in the recent past and that's why the process is taking a lifetime. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Yes the process is taking longer then usual. I made my application (perm residency) late january and it took 9months. And i had to pay an extra 300usd for VIP treatment. My lawyer says the immigration had a reshuffle in the recent past and that's why the process is taking a lifetime. Hope this helps!

Oh.. really. Then I have to wait for another three months. Also VIP treatment is a bribe or you got receipt for that. Because they normally charge around 2500 pesos for the VIP treatment. Thank you for your response.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
My lawyer handled the whole issue. He adviced that it was the only way to get the process move faster. And since i wanted to get done with it, i just paid the fee. Maybe you need to consult with your lawyer on the VIP

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
My lawyer handled the whole issue. He adviced that it was the only way to get the process move faster. And since i wanted to get done with it, i just paid the fee. Maybe you need to consult with your lawyer on the VIP
Ok, in fact I had asked my lawyer if anything can be done like that. But she said no and I have to wait. I will ask her again.

Jan 17, 2009
I also submitted my application in January this year, and got it in late August. I did not have to pay for any VIP treatment, and honestly, this is the first time that I hear that exists for getting your first residency. Usually, the VIP is offered to renew the residency and it costs 2,000 pesos or so. I too heard that the delay was due to a change in administration and new employees coming in.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
My sister and I both applied for residency in December last year, but there was a problem with her birth certificate so the final application wasn't official until April or so. We have an appointment to pickup our paperwork and get our cedula next Tuesday, Dec. 6. I offered all sorts of financial "incentives," but was told that the changes in bureaucracy have created more delays than usual. I expect the system will catch up at some point, but we we unlucky in at our applications fell at at time when the system was in disarray. Good luck. I would try to be patient as it's pretty much out of yours or your attorney's hands at this point.

jahman

Aug 6, 2008
The most important advice I have is that if your timeline has the potential to effect you negatively, then you should just assume that it is going to take longer than you expect so you can minimize any consequences. With that said, I am in the middle of what I will call the 2nd part or "permanent" residency application right now.
I am from the US and it took me about 8 months in early 2010 to receive my "Permiso Residencia Temporal" or the 1 year Temporary Residency (yellow ID card). I should clarify that the 8 months is not really a good estimate for you to follow becuase I was not in a hurry and I did not follow up with the lawyer very intesively during certain parts of the process.
My 1 yr residency has now expired and like I mentioned I am working for the permanent one. One really important note. If you plan to go through this whole proecess, don't let yours expire like I did because they charge you something like $1000RD for every month of expiration when you go back to apply. I did have to get all new medical checks and chest xrays for part 2 and last week they said now that all of my paperwork has been submitted I can expect to get my new residency card in approximately 4 months.
I hope this helps.

Hello all,

Does anyone got the residency recently? I want to know how long it takes now from the time of application. My lawyer told me it will take anything between 4 - 6 months. My application has been submitted in June and i do not hear anything as of now. My lawyer also do not know anything more.

I gave the medical on April first week and the results came on April third week and they received my application in June second week.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Do you get the cedula with temporary residency or just with the permanent?

SHALENA

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Yes, cedula comes along with temporary residency as it does with permanent.

New medical checks and chest x-rays are the norm for permanent residency anyway.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My shipping company told me.that the taxes would be 40% cheaper if I get residency before moving my stuff. I want to send my stuff in June so that it will arrive august, but it seems like it will take longer to get residency and I won't have it in time. Can I find someone with a cedula and ship it under their name?

SHALENA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You are not even a resident yet,but already thinking like a DOMINICAN!
yOU WILL FIT RIGHT IN!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My shipping company told me.that the taxes would be 40% cheaper if I get residency before moving my stuff. I want to send my stuff in June so that it will arrive august, but it seems like it will take longer to get residency and I won't have it in time. Can I find someone with a cedula and ship it under their name?

SHALENA

Within 6 months of obtaining residency ( even Temporary) you will be allowed a container shipment -- FREE OF DUTY!
Personal effects, even a car (not free, but tax will be discounted)

Hang in there SK !!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Within 6 months of obtaining residency ( even Temporary) you will be allowed a container shipment -- FREE OF DUTY!
Personal effects, even a car (not free, but tax will be discounted)

Hang in there SK !!

Yes but at the going wait of 6-9 months I won't have the cedula in time and I don't wanna wait in DR without my stuff. I'm calling my DomYork friends and see what's up.

SHALENA

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A Dominican citizen can only once in his or her lifetime ship his or her belongings with a tax exempt. And you need to prove that person was abroad for more than I think 2 years to apply. So you would have to find a Dominican living abroad who doesn't plan on coming back himself and will let you use his tax exempt, but then he also has to come over to DR himself to talk to customs in person

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004

SHALENA

I know someone who 2 years ago was able to get the exemption with only the confirmation letter from Migracion that he had deposited the paperwork for his residency. Don't know if they're still allowing that but wouldn't hurt to ask...

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
that's one thing i wouldn't like, having to expose myself to a chest x ray! Now a days in North America they are trying to limit those for Horrid radiation they give through "accumulating" to many Xrays..

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Did anyone applied for the PR in June or later and got the residency? I want to know whether just mine or it is a problem for all. Thank you.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I had checked the status today with the immigration and they told me that the file is with " Juridica " and asked me to check again after 12 days. Does anyone gone through this and know what it means? Also is this stage close to final stage or it has to go through more stages? I am not fluent enough in spanish to ask these questions at the counter and the guy in the counter just said that the file is at Juridica and left.

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
Did anyone applied for the PR in June or later and got the residency? I want to know whether just mine or it is a problem for all. Thank you.

We went in early June and were notified by our attorney at the very end of December that we were approved. Going next week to get our cards. So you're not alone out there!

I've been trying to find out what the penalty is that we will have to pay on our cedulas, since they expired on our birthdays last year. Even though our temporary residencies had not expired (July) when one of the cedulas did (April), our attorney said we could not renew it until we had our PR. If anyone knows what the monthly "late fee" is, please let me know. I'm afraid it's going to be pretty painful.

My shipping company told me.that the taxes would be 40% cheaper if I get residency before moving my stuff. I want to send my stuff in June so that it will arrive august, but it seems like it will take longer to get residency and I won't have it in time.

SKing - we were told that if our residencies were in process that we would get the one-time exemption on duties. We had a letter certifying that they were in process, but were told by the shipping company that the customs office "might or might not" allow the exemption - and it would take 2 weeks for them to make that determination. This was after we'd spent 5 hours in the July heat at the port going through our container inspection and were already headed back to the N. Coast - an hour into our drive. We decided to just pay the duties vs. driving back into Santo Domingo to the customs office (who knows how long we'd have been there!), paying storage and waiting another 2 weeks for our stuff. We just wanted to get on with our lives. Mind you, we only brought 1/2 of a 40 ft. container, so your situation may vary depending on how much you have. If I had to do it over again, I'd wait until I had my residency before shipping belongings if possible. Not sure customs still wouldn't potentially jerk you around, but it might be less likely. Good luck!!