Residency Question

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
When you have obtained Dominican Residency, whether it be temporary or permanent status - does this mean you forfeit the right to use your National Consul in the Dominican Republic? Also, are you liable to pay tax on any investment/wage you make in this country to your 'Motherland'?

Many thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When you have obtained Dominican Residency, whether it be temporary or permanent status - does this mean you forfeit the right to use your National Consul in the Dominican Republic? Also, are you liable to pay tax on any investment/wage you make in this country to your 'Motherland'?

Being a resident does not prevent you from using any and all services that your own country provides to citizens of that country who live in the DR.

What you have to report to your country re earnings here depends on the requirements of your country. US citizens are supposed to report when they file their US tax return. I don't know about other countries.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I can only write as a British citizen. I have RD residency but have, as requested, registered my whereabouts with the British Embassy. The Dominican authorities have asked me no questions and any investments I make in the UK are susceptible to UK laws only. I do not tell thr UK authorities any thing about what I am doing here in the RD and they in 5 years have asked no questions.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I can only write as a British citizen. I have RD residency but have, as requested, registered my whereabouts with the British Embassy. The Dominican authorities have asked me no questions and any investments I make in the UK are susceptible to UK laws only. I do not tell thr UK authorities any thing about what I am doing here in the RD and they in 5 years have asked no questions.

granca's comment about registering with embassy of your country is important The US Embassy that its citizens living here do the same.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is a difference between residency and dual citizenship. Residency entitles you to all the services of your embassy. However if you have citizenship here and another country too, and something happens here, your embassy will not help you. If you are resident in the country where you have citizenship then that takes priority.

Matilda

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My looooooooooooooooooooooong experience,all over the "Globe",is that if you are an "American",your embassy will do,"Little to NOTHING to help/assist you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seems like the "BRITS" do a lot more.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When I had that incident in Sosua some time ago Bill Kirkman was at the Police station. He was at the time the US representative in Puerto Plata. I knew Bill for awhile before this happened. Anyway he was at the table with myself, my attorny and the person from the Police in Sosua who was taking my statement.

So he is writing everything down and at the end of the interview I asked my lawyer if we need Mr. Kirkman for anything. He told me "absulutely not", he can only make more problems. Then Bill asked me to sign his paper or he could not devulge it to anyone.

I wished him well and told him that he can keep the paper, but without my signature.

This all turned out well in the end without any "help" from the US Embassy.